Caddo Parish Public Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Theodis Lamar Goree

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Teacher"

I have been working at Caddo Parish Public Schools full-time

Pros

Working with the students is great some days are more challenging than others but overall but overall good place t o work.

Cons

Failure to share corporate plans with employees regarding changes

Advice to Management

Be more honest and upfront with information to employees

2. "General review"

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Caddo Parish Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great teachers who work hard

Cons

There is too much politics

Advice to Management

Listen to teachers more

3. "Special Education Teacher"

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Shreveport, LA

I worked at Caddo Parish Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits!
    Rewarding work!
    Doing something different everyday.
    Can definitely make a difference in the lives of children.

Cons

No opportunities for advancement.
    If you know someone you can advance quickly.

4. "Substitute Teacher"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Caddo, LA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Caddo, LA

I have been working at Caddo Parish Public Schools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can work just about every day since there is a huge need for subs so y)ou can budget for at least 4 days a week (mostly 5). Long-term is $100 a day (same for someone with no degree) after 10 days but this is also a Con since it's not much.

Cons

The children treat you as dirt since you are "just a sub" instead of being on their best behavior when their regular teacher is out. At least I hope that's not their best! The pay is low -- even with a 4 year degree. There are NO benefits other than being able to say no to the schools that you are truly scared to go to. $80 a day is not worth it in many schools. Long-term is $100 a day after 10 days but starts over if you have to miss a day with a fever you got from ill-mannered children coughing and sneezing on you or leaving their snotty tissues on the desk.

Advice to Management

Teach the children some manners. Teach them that "just a sub" is not right and just because you've chosen to be a sub doesn't mean you're stupid and you don't know how to conjugate a verb or work the most difficult geometry problems. I'm tired of being told that I don't know how to do anything because "I'm just a sub". The "real" teachers still let you know that you're a sub and they treat you the same in the teachers' lounge as the children do, assuming you are stupid so they give you an assignment to let high school kids color since you couldn't possibly discuss a reading assignment or explain how to solve for X. Really??? And how many times can I see the same Clifford the Big Red Dog video in your elementary class? The kids think we're stupid because you treat us that way. Keep them on track and they will think we know what we're talking about even if we're faking it. I can Google faster than they can. Don't punish us by not doing regular work. I can read and write and assume that most subs can too. We don't want to babysit. We want to make a difference just like teachers do. Give us a chance by requiring your teachers to actually having lesson plans. Check them! Make them do them. I have gone to many that had nothing. Isn't that a requirement? Is this a surprise to you? They don't have a binder with lesson plans thought out and written down more often than they do have then. I'm not a babysitter, I'm a Substitute Teacher. I want to TEACH something. I just don't want to teach everyday nor do I have to financially or I have something else I need to do keeping me from working a full-tine job. Treat me like a valued part of a team. I will be one.

5. "Teacher"

I worked at Caddo Parish Public Schools full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great people, excellent supervisor

Cons

Way too many to name

6. "A Caring District"

I worked at Caddo Parish Public Schools full-time

Pros

CPSB is a caring and hard-working district. CPSB notices teachers and appreciates their efforts.

Cons

CPSB is in a transitional phase with the newer superintendent. Although the changes are positive, it is taking time to implement positive transformations, especially to those schools with lower socioeconomic issues.

Advice to Management

The culture surrounding the district does not find the value in education. Inspiring the families to value education somehow might be the key.

7. "Weigh all options..."

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Caddo Parish Public Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many opportunities for new teachers. Schools are community focused and supported. Diverse programs available to students along with supportive electives.

Cons

The Administration is so student-centered until they forget that the teachers are professionals. Local Professional development is attractively packaged and the preferred opportunities are only offered to a select few. Collegiality is not supported and often discouraged.

Advice to Management

You have more talent on your staff than you acknowledge. Spread the growth opportunities and watch turnover ratios drop.

8. "Terrible school system."

Former Employee - Office Clerk
    Former Employee - Office Clerk

Pros

Having holiday and summer breaks!

Cons

Central office is so corrupt it's a shame!

9. "Benefits"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Shreveport, LA

Pros

The benefits are very good compared to most jobs.

Cons

The only con is that there is no vision plan

Advice to Management

Advice to Management get more a/c buses

10. "Math Teacher"

Former Employee - Math Teacher in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Math Teacher in Shreveport, LA

Pros

Great benefit, only work for 9 months out of the year, no 2 days are ever the same, great people

Cons

Some of the downsides are dealing with young people who don't care, dealing with state on student achievement which doesn't do statistics the correct way

Advice to Management

Plenty of room for advancement, in fact they encourage and pay for advance degrees