Cadmus Group Reviews

Updated Jun 22, 2020

2.9
Cadmus Group President & CEO Ian Kline (no image)
Ian Kline
Pros
  • "Cadmus offers good work-life balance, with good paid time off and a flexible work remote policy(in 12 reviews)

• "Really great benefits and flexibility to work from home when needed(in 6 reviews)

1. "Associate"

5.0
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Cadmus Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company is working in many domains and has positive social impact as a priority. Good opportunities to work with data analysis/engineering and policy/strategy issue.

Cons

Lots of clients and lots of specialty groups makes cohesion challenging for this company with offices all over the country.

2. "Great people, disorganized company"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst

I have been working at Cadmus Group full-time

Pros

Wonderful, talented, driven people. Some teams are really great and are able to shield their members from the insanities of upper management.

Cons

Little concern for work-life balance, don't care if you're consistently working 60 hours a week and burning out, only care if you're meeting your billability targets.

3. "Experience varies based on role and skills."

Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Cadmus Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Depending on the role and skill-set you have, you can be involved on a large variety of projects. I am putting my skill to good use and I continue to learn more and evolve my roles. The work in the GS sector feels meaningful and rewarding.

Cons

I feel lucky enough to have a role that brings interesting work my way, but I know that is not the case with everyone. There may be long dry spells with mundane work when client's needs shift. Medical benefits are sub-par.

4. "Great company with growing pains"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Waltham, MA

I worked at Cadmus Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent benefits, great company mission, flexible work schedule, public transit reimbursement.

Cons

Managerial issues mostly related to growing pains. Most work was glorified clerical work and did not make sure of my college degree. However, the pay was about market rate, or slightly above.

5. "Okay for straight out of undergrad"

Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Cadmus Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Consulting experience, looks good on resume, occasional happy hour, pretty nice office

Cons

Overworked and underpaid, mundane work a lot of the time, management makes excuses for when they take cost cutting measures, lots of turnover

Continue reading
  6. "ok for the experience"

2.0
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Cadmus Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, interesting projects, some flexibility

Cons

All about the hours, no career track, exec team out of touch with staff, serious management issues

Continue reading
  7. "Great Place to Start Career"

Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Cadmus Group full-time

Pros

Good leadership, nice office, challenging work

Cons

Stressful and long working hours

8. "Engaging work and great people who are mission-driven"

I have been working at Cadmus Group full-time

Pros

Never a dull moment, good projects, thoughtful colleagues

Cons

Consulting in such a competitive field leads to longer hours and more stress.

9. "Great place to work as an analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst

I worked at Cadmus Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart, driven people; good professional development; caring management

Cons

Sometimes less than exciting projects

"Serious Issues"

1.0
    Former Employee - Analyst - Homeland Security in Arlington, VA

I worked at Cadmus Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Echoing others on here, Cadmus has some of the smartest people I've met. There is a marked difference in workplace styles and cultures between teams, and a few teams are quite down to earth and fun people to be around. - Smaller nature compared to other consulting firms in the area should be an opportunity, but see below.

Cons

To say that Cadmus was a disappointment would be an understatement. The October 2nd, 2018 review on here mirrors many of my thoughts, however harsh. I should be clear that my thoughts relate specifically to the seemingly struggling Homeland Security and Emergency Management sector of Cadmus. I’m not qualified to comment on the organization as a whole. Basic project management skills are lacking throughout the organization as most of the project managers and supervisors are internal promotions who have never worked outside of Cadmus/Obsidian after college. They don’t appear to have had strong training or experience in managing either projects or people. Work is not transparently or equitably distributed. Sadly, it pays to establish an uncritical, ingratiating relationship with key individuals in the organization early on or you will find yourself struggling to find work or advancement. On that front, attempts to be proactive and seek out work is met with lukewarm reception at best. A colleague of mine had to write a memo to the now departed division director just to finally get put on a proposal after having a long period of no work – a proposal which, of course, would not even count to his billable hour requirements for the month. Analysts at our yearly check-in this past year complained that we were being asked to bill hours to projects we hadn’t worked on, were consistently not given work, and were consistently being given taskings on par with intern-level work. Worse, we had brought up all these issues last year and nothing had changed. The senior individuals in the room seemed completely unaware of the practices being cited. It’s clear that the Associate level is a bottleneck in the transparency and effective management of the Homeland Security sector. Lackluster pay is justified as a reflection of Cadmus’ business model differing from those of other contracting firms in the area. This is more legitimate than others will admit and I do understand Cadmus’ frustration over constantly being compared to Booz Allen. However, over my time there I would see benefits cut back, PTO cut back, and the DC office shuttered. All of us would have understood these decisions, but they were often presented in intellectually dishonest ways that ended up being explicitly called out in some of our staff meetings. Dour CEO presentations highlighted that the company clearly prizes billability and utilization rates over either the quality of its output, or building its analyst base or staff development. As legitimate as the business model argument is, it also reflects a tacit recognition that Cadmus’ business model is low-level, low complexity work that can be done by undergraduates who leave every summer for grad school or for a job whose business model does allow them to pay their employees at a level commensurate with the hours and responsibility demanded by Cadmus. The CEO has admitted that the “shape” of the organization is not correct, but seems to think this means we need less Associate-level staff, as opposed to recognizing that our analyst base is not realistically right-sized or efficiently utilized.

Found 116 reviews