Cafe Yumm Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Mary Ann Beauchamp

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Professional & Clean Work Environment"

Former Employee - Kitchen Staff in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Kitchen Staff in Eugene, OR

I worked at Cafe Yumm (More than a year)

Pros

Solid management and clean environment. They take safety and health codes very seriously, which reflects good management.

Cons

Kitchen work can be very physically exhausting

2. "Crew Member"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Cafe Yumm part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits such as paid sick days, 401k contributions, birthday and christmas bonuses, etc. Also, great flexibility.

Cons

Management is not the most trained.

3. "Fun Team, Full Time Hours, Solid wage plus tips"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Cafe Yumm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun people. Hires all types of people, fun to get to know different people with different lifestyles! Lots of hours. Good tips. Always busy so the day goes by fast. Always room to grow if you have the desire and ability.

Cons

It's a restaurant...so we have to clean. Not really a bad thing, but yes, we scrub toilets, clean drains, etc... We have a good crew...it just seems hard to find more good people to add to the crew.

4. "Good overall with one giant issue"

I worked at Cafe Yumm part-time

Pros

Great manager, Really cares about employees and customers. Overall good employees. Fast paced, clean, healthy food.

Cons

One big glaring issue. Owner and his "pet favorite" in the store. Likes to yell at, and disrespect everyone who isn't her.

Advice to Management

Find new employment. With this owner things won't be all sunshine and lollipops.

5. "Team Member"

I have been working at Cafe Yumm full-time

Pros

Consistent in work, meal prep, and cleaning.

Cons

Only allowed $7.50 to spend on lunch, meaning you would usually have to pay still to get the amount of food or even drink you wanted other than water.

6. "Company"

Pros

-Great Management
    -Awesome, quality food!
    -Tips were awesome

Cons

I worked at the PDX airport location where the training wasn't very substantial, but not sure how it is at other locations

Advice to Management

Keep it up

7. "Working for Cafe Yumm..."

Former Employee - Crew Member in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Cafe Yumm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is good, and if you manage to get any hours, it makes it even better. You get a free shift meal, but one meal isn't enough for working a double which -- by the way -- is the only way you'll get hours. If you're not committed to working 11+ hours a day, you won't get more than 28 hours.

Cons

I worked for a man that had no emotional tact when it came to the way he treated his employees. Having been a former construction worker who made a dramatic career change, his expectations of his employees were through the roof. Cleanliness standards are understandable, but this guy had us scrubbing the ceilings. The pay is good in the beginning but don't expect any regular pay raises, you only get those if you're promoted. They sell the job by telling you they'll work on promoting you to supervisor after 30 days, but after a full year of employment, I was lead on continuously for my promotion ( which never came, by the way. ) They play favorites, which ironically tend to be the laziest workers there. Scheduling is unfair, if you want days off forget it -- They will passive aggressively cut your hours, forgetting that most people have a job so they can afford rent and bills and food. Their sales tactic on being "sustainable and organic " --- again, just a fancy advertisement to draw in ignorant customers. SURPRISE! Practically everything is microwaved, from the soups, to the "original, organic chicken breast". This restaurant is ran by a passive aggressive, temperamental man who treats his employees unfairly and treats them like they owe HIM something. When they're the ones doing all the work.

Advice to Management

Get your act together and maybe 10+ people won't quit within one month. Your turnover rates will appreciate it.

8. "Yummer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR

I worked at Cafe Yumm (More than 3 years)

Pros

employees who worked there were great
    good college job

Cons

Owner of the location i was at micro-managed the wrong things

9. "Worse than McDonald's"

Former Employee - Shift Lead
    Former Employee - Shift Lead

I worked at Cafe Yumm part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food up to a $7.25 value every shift. Actively compost food waste effectively. The friends you make in this hell hole will be with you for life.

Cons

The company is young and doesn't know how to run a successful restaurant. Management is absolutely awful; they don't listen to the needs of their employees at all. I had a store manager emotionally and verbally abuse me so badly that I was clinically diagnosed with PTSD. The next store manager (because they never stick around long!) was a complete idiot that had zero restaurant training and was insecure and useless when we tried to help them learn. When I tried to advocate for my rights as well as the rights of my people in the kitchen I was demoted for "not respecting authority" and then transferred back to my original store manager that gave me the PTSD in the first place. Overall, management heaps on the responsibility without offering assistance or backup and then acts surprised when the employee turnover rate is so high. Spoiler alert: it's because you treat your employees like crap!

Advice to Management

Don't treat your employees like trash. Respect them for the humans they are instead of using and abusing them. Listen when they ask for your help, be willing to hear what they have to say since they're on the ground running the restaurant and you're not, and for the love of god stop filling the kitchen with new hires every lunch rush and then get mad at the kitchen staff for falling behind.

"food service"

Current Employee - Elderly Caregiver/Resident Assistant in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Elderly Caregiver/Resident Assistant in Salem, OR

I have been working at Cafe Yumm (Less than a year)

Pros

My co-workers are nice and easy to get along with, if someone makes mistakes they will help them to correct the mistakes in a kind way. The manager is really kind and courteous and if something comes up she can help work around it. And if some people are still needed the make sure about that with the person.

Cons

It's very fast paste, little time to take a breather. Cafe yumm is always hiring and getting more people so they will get more people in the back working. So meany things to remember and keep in mind.