CafePress Reviews | Glassdoor

CafePress Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer Fred Durham
Fred Durham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • lack of intellect, experience and vision in upper management (in 7 reviews)

• There is no such thing as work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

"Great benefits, poor communication"

Pros

Unlimited vacation, food service, professional development, casual dress, great coworkers, fun work environment

Cons

Poor communication between departments, lack of focus in objectives, low morale.

Advice to Management

Champion cross-department coordination, stay the course on projects instead of waffling.

"Amateur Hour"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at CafePress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited time off for full time, exempt employees is terrific.
    Low stress atmosphere
    Great work/life balance

Cons

It's as if they have taken every 'green' person they can find and put them in high positions in the company.
    The problem is that they've all convinced themselves that they are so good that they can't see past their own over inflated senses of self worth and/or insecurities to allow 'seasoned' people to help.

Advice to Management

I am a millennial so I won't blame it on that, but this is what happens when you give a few highly intelligent ego maniacs more praise than constructive criticism, because you also must know how to treat people.
    This company has all the ego it needs plus some. Now how about we put egos aside & learn from one another to get the quality and revenue where it needs to be?
    Otherwise we will all be smart from home.
    I'm certain your egos will not allow your mind to be open enough to take this review seriously, but all I have to say is... there's a reason your Talent (aka HR) has to have a weekly newsletter pointing out who has left the company every week. There is a constant in this equation & while not all that have gone have been winners.. statistically they couldn't have all been losers. Just sayin

"Management"

Former Employee - Management in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Management in Louisville, KY

I worked at CafePress full-time

Pros

TRYING to create a great culture of creativity and progressive company activity.

Cons

TOO MANY MILLENNIALS RUNNING THE COMPANY!!!!

Advice to Management

I truly hope the (REAL) executives of this company (CEO, CFO, Corporate attys) will read this and REALLY take to heart what I am saying>>>>
    You really have a wonderful company with so much potential. It is time to take your company back from the millennials that are now running the the company behind the scenes. Starting with HR and all those positions affiliated as such and management...get rid of them and re-structure. You have a team of salary top heavy millennial who are in very responsible position who have no idea what they are doing. They make their own titles, they make their own job descriptions, and determine their own salaries. You have so many job descriptions that overlap duties and those people are being paid a crazy amount of money for what they do. The job duties overlap so much that I was told by one of you top execs "I don't know who does what anymore"....that's crazy!! You have millennial who have very little true corporate experience conducting interviews with people who are twice their age and have real experience. The candidates who have bene turned away for management positions is who you need to contact and ask their opinions....they will tell you what you need to know to turn the company around. I would love to give my name and number here so I could get into this further but that is not possible as it could ruin any change of ever being able to one back and help turn the company around. Here is my advice to you...get a copy of the current job descriptions, make a title "heir achy" tree (if you will) and align the salaries according to those titles. Does it make sense to you?? How many positions overlap? How many job duties could be condensed with the RIGHT people in place? How many people under the age of 40 are earning 70K+? I would love to see a response from one of you. And by "you", again I man the CEP, CFO, or Corporate attys,

"Too cool for school"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at CafePress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited PTO is great. Flexible schedule is great. Pay is great.

Cons

Clique like mentalities. Paranoid management. Micromanagement to the point of stifling talent. There's a tremendous amount of 'man-plaining' (men condescendingly explaining things to women because they think women do not get it) that takes place.

Advice to Management

Quit trying to be so cool that you alienate others. Stop being so paranoid and micromanaging that good and talented people are able to do their jobs.

"Not what it used to be."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at CafePress full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Vending is discounted. Many company holiday parties. Free prizes given.

Cons

ALOT of favoritism. The only people who seem to care about their job are the employees who struggle everyday. Management no longer cares about the customer or the employee. Many of us thought things would change once the CEO came back, but it seems that they have only gotten worse and he is just as absent now as he was before. Management does not know how to talk to employees. Cussing and condemning is no way to lead and motivate people. In Leadership meetings you are told "It's us against them." Management are the only employees to get raises. Including a monthly $500 bonus for "Good Leadership". Hourly employees are now reviewed and promised raises that never come. Almost all of the hard working people have left. The Cons out weigh the Pros at this company.

Advice to Management

Focus on your customer satisfaction and your employees. They are the lifeblood of your company and the reasons you have jobs. If you keep treating people bad, cussing at employees, and showing blatant discrimination the few good people that actually still care, and are knowledgeable about your business will be gone as well.

"Don't be fooled, looks can be deceiving."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at CafePress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cafepress pays well and there is a lot of flexibility. Love the cafe and there are a lot of good people there.

Cons

Not a place for women. Women have no voice at Cafepress. If you speak up you're considered difficult. Classic and the newest of the good ole boy's clubs. Leaders like to play with your life. No moral depth. Made a big mistake when they let the best VP they ever had leave at the end of 2016. Culture shifted significantly after she resigned.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people just like you and maybe spend sometime in sensitivity training.

"Amazing potential, serious problems ahead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at CafePress full-time

Pros

Great for young, agile workforce
    Decent pay, decent benefits
    Free/Discounted Food depending on which location you work (Corporate has free food(cereal, milk, yogurt, cheese, crackers, pretzels, etc)(Production facility has most things in the vending machines for a quarter including drinks)
    Great Coffee Machines!
    Some people that still care!
    Diverse workforce/environment where just about anything goes

Cons

Lacking vision from executive managment
    So busy trying to right the ship, they forgot to mature the company
    Too much power in the hands of one man, the CEO (Has assumed the roles of CEO, CMO, VP Engineerting, etc)
    Arrogant senior leadership lacking vision/direction
    No trust among employees, little trust, too much gossip
    Very young workforce
    If you're an experienced professional or executive, I would highly recommend you look elsewhere. While there's benefits to the youth, there's little maturity, respect for process, policy, implementation. It's difficult to even get some of them to attend meeting, or arrive on time. Don't count on reserving a room and it actually being yours for a meeting.
    Unfortunately, this attitude and direction is completely spun from the top/down.

Advice to Management

Remove the current leadership in place starting with the CEO, find leaders that know how to mature an organization as opposed to just keeping it afloat. It's struggling to float because it's been in business for 17 years now and still operating like a start up.

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at CafePress full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great People to work with. The vending machines are discounted a lot. They feed you lunch more than 20X per year. Good Vacation Policy.

Cons

4th quarter is dedicated to CP. You have to be dedicated to them from Thanksgiving to Christmas.
    Other than that, they are very flexible.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, make Cafepress great again. You can't make everyone happy and don't believe all of this negative feedback on this site.

"Great work environment"

Former Employee - Web Designer in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Web Designer in Louisville, KY

I worked at CafePress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, WFH options, large cafe area with snacks

Cons

Not a lot of communication between upper management and personnel.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and in touch with your employees.

"Company needs to grow up"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I worked at CafePress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool Merchandise and Content-- i guess and its in ecommerce industry

Cons

Where should I start? lack of intellect, experience and vision in upper management

Advice to Management

Get a real CEO not an entrepreneur who has the vision, maturity and temperament to lead 500 people organization a