Cake Group NY Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Meh"

Former Employee - Community Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Community Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Cake Group NY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back, cool office. Happy hour thursdays

Cons

Disorganized from the top down

"In need of leadership and experienced staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Cake Group NY full-time

Pros

A good place if you're beginning your career and need to get something on your resume. Havas is still an industry leader, so there is some hope that cake can rise above its current problems. Like others have said, the kitchen and office is nice. There are some talented creatives on the team.

Cons

Havas in general has an HR problem. They don't respond to emails after the on-boarding process and you'd be lucky to ever hear from them again. For Cake, the lack of baseline processes and effective leadership is a worry. When you have a demoralized team, leadership needs to step up and get the cancer out. Account management is poor as well - their lack of experience is appalling. They wreck client and vendor relationships because of their inexperience.

Advice to Management

Young people are an asset to business, but professionalism, integrity and humility has to count for something. Remind your teams that professionalism is paramount. You can't have managers, directors, etc openly acting out or outwardly projecting their inexperience through frustration, venting, etc. Drama does not translate well in a professional atmosphere.

"Very unorganized and has no clear direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Cake Group NY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open floor plan seating, fully stocked kitchen and weekly happy hours. Cake sits under Havas Media which sits within the Havas Village. Being part of the village is nice because you are exposed to a variety of clients and have visibility into the different departments within the larger agency.

Cons

Cake has no clear direction. There is no mission or goal to be striving towards as a company. Cake gets pushed into the corner by Havas and tends to take on projects because they need the money. Senior management is disconnected from the company and spends more time out of the office than in it. Many times new business projects will be derailed by senior staff the night before a pitch and the rest of the team is required to work endless hours while senior staff checks out.

Advice to Management

Be present and be constructive. Work closely with your employees so you are aware of what is happening on a daily level. Be more strict on employees who misbehave or are troublesome. Lastly, figure out what Cake's purpose is. You're saying you are a "content agency that creates content people can't contain". That means nothing if you have no work to show for it. Every agency today is a content agency. Figure out what Cake specializes in and focus on that.

"I'm going backwards in my career here"

Pros

Nice office, free snacks, happy hour on thursdays, access to wider Havas network, some of the people are genuinely smart and awesome to work with.

Cons

Upper management have absolutely no idea how to effectively manage. Work standards are deplorably low. Sometimes I look around and am sincerely shocked that the place is still in business.

Advice to Management

Bring in new leadership, someone smart with actual experience.

"How many amateurs can you fit into one office?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Cake Group NY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office is nice. You have access to nicer people on the floor you share. Uh, oh, and there's a kitchen with all sorts of good food.

Cons

You know when you get hired and everyone seems nice, all smiles?

Then it inevitably happens: a decent project comes by and because of the lack of a truly experienced staff, stress, frustrations and unprofessional behavior kicks in. Fear takes hold and the collective emotional intelligence drains and the only options are to throw your colleagues under the bus, undermine their confidence and be negative and toxic.

The account managers are bungling amateurs who act like they know what they're doing. And like the ad world in general, the inexperienced are given lofty vp and director titles without any real proven track record of success.

This place is rife with the problems that plague agencies with potential: horrible attitudes, unprofessionalism, know-it-alls, inexperienced, emotionally immature.

Advice to Management

Hard to give advice to the persons likely to be responsible for the mess there, but here it goes: Leave post haste, and hopefully a professional equipped with humility and know-how replaces you and hires a bright and talented staff.

"Steer clear."

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Cake Group NY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Free food, beer
    -Some cool brands to work on (while they last)

Cons

-Terrible management that regularly pitched work and then took the glory for "winning" without actually getting scopes signed then handed off work to entirely new teams. Many projects are worked on for weeks and even months only to fall through when clients get pissed off that they aren't dealing with the team that they built the initial relationship with
    -Teams are not adequately staffed and therefore consistently unable to deliver on the promises made by management, resulting in little repeat business
    -Huge turnover, I saw at least a quarter of the team leave during my time there. The vast majority of people I worked with were unhappy with their role and manager
    -Integration and collaboration with Socialyse/Havas is unorganized and inefficient
    -The agency's willingness to take on any and all work regardless of budget size means you can end up working full-time on something that has actually no benefit for the agency's bottom line or award shelves, rendering your work (and you) meaningless to the leadership and your resume

Advice to Management

-Be honest with people about the jobs they are applying for
    -Seek to put the "innovation"and meritocracy which you espouse into practice

7. "Havas killed it"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

Pros

So many projects coming from Havas.

Cons

Not a great environment to work in.

8. "Stay away"

Former Employee - Junior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Junior Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Cake Group NY (More than a year)

Pros

People are relatively nice ish

Cons

There was management there, ha?

Advice to Management

It's really not what they promise. All of the actual good work is done in London and they show that off when they hire you.

"Social Media Manager"

Pros

Laid back + creative environment.

Cons

Working at Cake Group as an Social Media Manager was one of the worst professional experiences of my career. Not only did the senior staff members take credit for my work, but they also cut me out of what was assigned to me in the most cut-throat, disgusting and unprofessional way. I've never seen such "seasoned" professionals behave in a manner so despicable in my entire career track. Long hours and an imbalanced work life weren't an issue for me as opposed to most complaints I've seen on here. It was their cut-throat nature that really left a hard taste of disgust in my mouth. I'll never recommend anyone to work at Cake nor as an agency to hire.

Advice to Management

Grow up!

"Community Manager"

Former Employee - Community Manager
    Former Employee - Community Manager

Pros

The best thing about Cake is that they really encourage employees to get out there and learn as much as possible about the industry and often fund it. Though, I believe that probably comes with working at any agency. There's also free food there almost all the time and alcohol pretty frequently as well, if that's important to you.

Cons

The blame game is very popular here and the blame tends to go to the most junior position on the team even if it wasn't there fault.

It's very cliquey and if you don't fit in, you'll definitely feel left out.

Hours are very long and you work from the moment you get in to late in the night when you get out. It's stressful and sad - you barely have anytime to live a life outside of work. I personally wouldn't recommend it.