Cal State East Bay Reviews in Hayward, CA | Glassdoor

4.1
Cal State East Bay President Leroy M. Morishita
Leroy M. Morishita

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • nice work environment and pretty good salaries for student jobs (in 7 reviews)

• Great people, diverse campus, easy to get along with others you are working with (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, AND management is very inefficient (in 4 reviews)

• Most full time Staff jobs have a cap on their salaries (in 3 reviews)

1. "Student Assistant"

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Hayward, CA

I worked at Cal State East Bay part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun at work place

Cons

They could have pay more

Advice to Management

Hire lot of ppl and pay high

2. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Counselor in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Counselor in Hayward, CA

I worked at Cal State East Bay part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

it is a homie environment

Cons

Cheap pay, too many work politics

Advice to Management

Increase pay

3. "Graphic Designer"

Current Freelancer - Graphic Designer in Hayward, CA
    Current Freelancer - Graphic Designer in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Cal State East Bay (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close Knit environment, friendly focus and constructive people and clients. A great place to work on a consistent level.

Cons

Bureaucracy. As a graphic Artist, my turn around speed is farily quick, it would be quicker if I wasn't getting bombarded by each single small flaw or technicallity.

Advice to Management

Find some sort of way for EVERYONE in the realm of marketing to b on the same page.

4. "Student Assistant"

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Hayward, CA

Pros

Easy job and lot to learn about customer service by applying your best knowledge to provide quick and simple solutions to customer's problems.

Cons

Sometimes customers can be rude and angry.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the good work

5. "Desktop Support Analayst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA

I worked at Cal State East Bay part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible timings and friendly environment

Cons

There should be no delay in the work

Advice to Management

Nothing very good

6. "Run away faculty!"

Former Employee - Lecturer in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Lecturer in Hayward, CA

I worked at Cal State East Bay (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is good, students are great to work with.

Cons

CSUEB is a terrible place to work as a temporary faculty. Politics are exhausting and failure to correctly identify which side of various fences to be on is sure to make you miserable and unlikely to generate well-deserved re-appointment. Temporary faculty constantly complain about this place. Awful.

Advice to Management

Scrutinize departmental-personnel decisions to far greater degrees.

7. "Fantastic"

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Hayward, CA

Pros

Perfect work environment for a students.

Cons

No cons. I really enjoyed working there as a student.

"University Extension: GREAT department to work for!!"

Current Employee - Student Services Professional III in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Student Services Professional III in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Cal State East Bay (More than 10 years)

Pros

-excellent boss(es)/supervisors
    -work schedule can be flexible as long as you meet the 40 hrs/wk (if you work f/t) and/or achieve your responsibilities
    -excellent benefits including fee waiver for education for you or your dependents
    -Long Term Satisfactory Bonus (5% lump sum of your annual salary for your 10th yr of employment (full time & continuous) - it's from the CSU Chancellor's office

Cons

-pay is lower than market average (or your private sector counterpart), it might be even lower than your comparable counterpart at another (larger) CSU campus like San Jose State or SF State
    -work environment -- cube farm & loud talkers -- very hard to concentrate (we are in the newest building on campus (Student & Faculty Services Bldg))

Advice to Management

-next time you create a space/new building for employees please make sure to ask us (the ones who will actually be "living" in the space). the cubicle arrangement is awful.

"Want to be treated like you're an infant and have your ambition killed?"

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Cal State East Bay (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's in the SF Bay Area. That's about it.

Cons

Low salary (even with the recent raise, it's not enough to live comfortably in this area), a WAY out of whack student/faculty ratio, a stifling bloated bureaucracy of stagnant under-educated administrators micro-managing every petty detail of your campus experience and treating the faculty like they're idiots, preventing any kind of entrepreneurialism or risk-taking and crushing any hopes of advancing one's field. It's a terrible campus culture that refuses innovation and new ideas. Come here to collect a bit of a paycheck, but don't bring your dreams to campus or they'll most certainly be met with crushing disappointment.

Advice to Management

Get out of the way of the faculty. Support, don't manage. We're not incompetent, as you seem to believe. And we deserve considerably more pay. I can earn more bartending than I make here.

10. "Corruption Inside Athletics Department"

Former Employee - Athletics in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Athletics in Hayward, CA

I worked at Cal State East Bay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The first year I was there was great. I can't think of a terrible enough word to describe my second year. Take a look at the turnover within the athletics department over the past year.

Cons

In response to not fulfilling a verbal agreement to a raise, to counter an offer from another school.

"The raise you were promised that didn't materialize...that didn't happen to just you. So don't think you are on an island by yourself. Was it (expletive) up? Yes. However, you can't carry that with you. You have to let it go. It's messed up, but you got to let it go."

In response to singling me out versus instituting departmental-wide scheduling changes. Note that I was an exempt employee which in theory is to allow those with routinely 60+ hour weeks, and odd-hour schedules, some relief and flexibility.

"There is a new 'sheriff' in town. She sees people not here. You're the first domino, I can assure you of that...I think the fact that she says you slammed your door got this ball rolling...If she doesn't see you here, even if you are, she thinks you're not here."

In response to my statement "You're saying to 'keep doing what I'm doing' and she is saying 'You're not cut out to be a (position).'"

"In her defense, she was just saying hours and time. You worked 13 days in a row, that's the expectation...You may get a half day off, but I don't know what are her expectations...There is a new 'sheriff' in town."

In response to my statement "she hasn't taken the time to get to know me and is making all of these accusations. She knows you really well."

"She hasn't had the time to get to know you...She knows me well because I'm helping her out with the budget. We're working together because of where all the money is."

Final statement in this meeting.

"Change is a coming. For those who can't handle it, it's time to move on and find something else."

Advice to Management

You made a terrible hire. It's time to start over. Learn from your mistakes.