Cal State East Bay "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

Cal State East Bay Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Oct 1, 2019

4.2
Cal State East Bay President Leroy M. Morishita
Leroy M. Morishita
Pros
  • "Very good work environment, helpful peers(in 11 reviews)

• "Great people, diverse campus, easy to get along with others you are working with(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "No cons except they pay a minimum wage(in 10 reviews)

• "low pay, AND management is very inefficient(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Math Tutor at SCAA"

Former Employee - Math Tutor in Hayward, CA

I worked at Cal State East Bay part-time for more than a year

Pros

Jen and Ditas are amazing bosses, most students take constructive criticism well and heed advice when necessary, very friendly work environment

Cons

I would not change a thing

Cal State East Bay2019-10-01
  2. "Student Assistant for Duplicating Services at CSU East Bay"

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Hayward, CA

I worked at Cal State East Bay part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very good work environment, helpful peers

Cons

It was only part time

Cal State East Bay2019-08-19
  3. "A BAD PLACE TO WORK. Especially in the AACE department."

I have been working at Cal State East Bay full-time

Pros

Good benefits, but only if you plan to stick around for at least 10 years.

Cons

Not paid well; not a "living" wage. A very "student-focused" culture. Employees go unrecognized and unrewarded for their efforts. A definite bias toward employees coming in from outside CSUEB. Not supported and (in AACE) overly criticized. An unwritten culture of "figure it out"; don't ask questions because you should already know the answer. Very stressful work environment and no place to go to just relax.

Advice to Management

Focus more on your employees. We are working hard every day to take care of ALL the students. We need to be recognized and rewarded for doing our job. Also, be more transparent about the culture at CSUEB. People coming from other companies need to know about the "figure it out" mentality and all the unwritten rules that are part of the campus culture. It isn't fair to "outsiders" to assume that they know all this before coming in. There is a lot of bias against employees coming in from outside of CSUEB. Thirdly, make things fair across the board -- salaries that employees can actually live on; equitable treatment of employees in all departments. In other words, NO BULLYING by overbearing supervisors. Allow EVERYONE to have a space to call their own that represents them as individuals (I have noticed many spaces very personalized, while others are not allowed to do so). Lastly, create a space where employees can get some downtime away from their job. A "quiet room" would allow over-stressed employees who are "on" all the time a chance to relax. It would definitely increase productivity and reduce sick days. If you care about your employees, and not just your students, you need to make some changes.

Cal State East Bay2018-12-12
  4. "Accountant"

I have been working at Cal State East Bay full-time

Pros

Work life balance; good community; friendly work environment

Cons

Slow progression; decision takes long time to make

Advice to Management

professional development

Cal State East Bay2018-03-28
  5. "Lab Technician"

I have been working at Cal State East Bay

Pros

Flexible schedule and good work environment.

Cons

Can take a while to accomplish tasks with all the red tape.

Cal State East Bay2017-12-28
  6. "Great Place To Work"

I have been working at Cal State East Bay full-time

Pros

This is a hidden jewel up for higher education. Small campus means you get to know many more employees than larger campuses. Can-do attitude. It's the most diverse campus in the continental US, in terms of student representation. Very positive experience.

Cons

Not unlike most organizations, there are a few unhappy or unmotivated people that don't add anything positive to the work environment.

Advice to Management

Keep on investing in people, believe in them, and don't forget that the majority of employees are working really hard and doing their best. Emphasize the work/life balance that LEEP brings to the organization. Make sure that you address the needs of your employees and they'll work even harder to be their very best.

Cal State East Bay2017-08-12
  7. "Sr.Records Specialist"

Manager/Trainer in Castro Valley, CA

I have been working at Cal State East Bay for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work environment, nice people in the building. Very busy and upbeat, with knowledgable managers and administrators.

Cons

They should not charge us to park at our own job.

Advice to Management

Make sure to thank your employees when a job is well done. If an employee is doing a great job, don't micro manage.

Cal State East Bay2016-11-07
  8. "Fantastic"

Student Assistant in Hayward, CA

I worked at Cal State East Bay

Pros

Perfect work environment for a students.

Cons

No cons. I really enjoyed working there as a student.

Cal State East Bay2016-10-31

"Overall Good Place to Work."

I have been working at Cal State East Bay

Pros

The work environment will vary from department to department. I would rate my department, which deals with advising students as 5-Stars and the university as 4-Stars. Overall CSU East Bay is a fun, diverse, and welcoming place to work. There are many great faculty and staff that care about the students and university. The students are wonderful and the reason I love my job, besides the good team of co-workers I work alongside. The university is taking the opportunity of semester conversion to look at areas of improvement and transformation and not just shifting the same ole' same ole'.

Cons

- Some convoluted university policies or practices that create unnecessary barriers for students and the faculty/staff that want to help them. It would be great if decision makers, had a deep understanding of "why", as well as how such a policy or practice serves the students and/or growth of the institution, and not just continue outdated practices because it's been that way. - There can be a mentally of "enabling" or "just wait until they retire" mentally when it comes to faculty/staff/administrators/department with a reputation of bad/sub-par work ethics. There needs to be more accountability when this occurs, the same problem with the same employee shouldn't be allowed to continue for years, just because they've been there for a long time. It effects the quality of service to students and the reputation of the university.

Cal State East Bay2016-10-07

"University Extension: GREAT department to work for!!"

Student Services Professional III in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Cal State East Bay for more than 10 years

Pros

-excellent boss(es)/supervisors -work schedule can be flexible as long as you meet the 40 hrs/wk (if you work f/t) and/or achieve your responsibilities -excellent benefits including fee waiver for education for you or your dependents -Long Term Satisfactory Bonus (5% lump sum of your annual salary for your 10th yr of employment (full time & continuous) - it's from the CSU Chancellor's office

Cons

-pay is lower than market average (or your private sector counterpart), it might be even lower than your comparable counterpart at another (larger) CSU campus like San Jose State or SF State -work environment -- cube farm & loud talkers -- very hard to concentrate (we are in the newest building on campus (Student & Faculty Services Bldg))

Advice to Management

-next time you create a space/new building for employees please make sure to ask us (the ones who will actually be "living" in the space). the cubicle arrangement is awful.

Cal State East Bay2016-09-06