Cal spas Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1.2
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Work here if you love verbal abuse and utter humiliation. You've been warned."

I worked at Cal spas full-time

Pros

If you're looking for a paycheck and have no real experience, then this is perfect for you. Of course, you will be grossly underpaid considering the amount of abuse you have to tolerate and you must be mindless, love to be harassed constantly, enjoy being micro-managed and welcome unneeded stress for things out of your control. Other than that, there is no real reason to work here. except that the paychecks never bounce. However, your paychecks will be held until Monday even though you were promised to be paid weekly on a Friday.

Cons

Let me begin by saying that half of the people who work here actually know what they are doing and are a pleasure to work with. The other half....well, let's just say they are only here for a paycheck, do not go the extra mile, agree with everything said to avoid conflict and even go as far to throw you under the bus whenever possible. More importantly, the two people who run this place on a daily basis are the worst to work for.

There are no real advancement opportunities here. You will be controlled by the two people mentioned above in this organization. Whatever they say, goes. There is no room for debate and your input is not required. You will be led to believe that your experience, if any, is needed but that's a bunch of hogwash.

There is no real creativity here but there are a few people with talent here. Again, if you have an idea, say nothing. You will be tormented if your idea does not produce results overnight.

The expectations are unrealistic. There is no real business plan or marketing plan. Just ideas that are put together overnight and lay dead when they are launched and fail with no sales the next day.

The turnover in the sales department and the marketing department are high. You will see people come and go quickly for various reasons. Mostly due to the two people in charge who have control over everything and constantly yell and abuse you over the paging system or in front of all your peers in the office. There is no shame when these two throw papers at you and point their finger at you. This is the reality.

But wait, there's more. You will be subject to furloughs at a moment's notice. This means you will not have to come into work and will not be paid for those days. You will not know with enough time in advance to change your schedule, rather, you will be told right before you go home for the following day. Your furlough days are non-negotiable and can not be traded for more favorable days.

The workload is heavy because you will have to do more than one job if you want anything to get done on-time. There will be delays due to payment issues for materials needed or someone was let go or quit.

Many corners are cut here. You must lack heart for doing the right thing. You will be punished as there are no real business ethics here.

The dealers are mostly great but they are treated unfairly. Glassdoor should put together a review site for business owners with terrible vendors. This company would be reviewed by hundreds of unhappy customers.

The cons definitely outweigh the pros but there are too many to list. In order to maintain the integrity of this site's reputation and to follow the community guidelines, I have omitted the titles, roles, and names of the two people who are in charge here. If you really want to know, get a job there, pick up the phone and ask an employee or do more of your research on this company using your favorite search engine.

Advice to Management

When you hire someone with more experience than you, more talent than you, and can make a positive impact on your organization, embrace them.

"The place sucks"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Cal spas full-time

Pros

There are no pros other than a paycheck

Cons

Everything is a con especially the management

"Unethical and Abusive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA

I worked at Cal spas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many hard working employees, many friendships made.

Cons

Late paychecks, daily yelling from upper management, no money to pay vendors, lying to parts customers due to non-payment to parts vendors, hostile work environment, no growth or wage increase possible and layoffs with no notice.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to someone that can properly fund the business and pay your employees on time.

"Hostile"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA

I worked at Cal spas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There really are no realistic pros to working here.

Cons

The environment in the corporate side is hostile.

Advice to Management

Stop opening yelling and berating the senior management team.

"Less Than One Star"

Former Employee - Management in Pomona, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Pomona, CA

Pros

If you can make it at Cal Spas, you can work anywhere!!! The positive reviews on this site are absolutely made up by Executive Management at Cal Spas. That the type of thing they do.

Cons

Screaming Every Day by Owner and VP. Pointless morning Meetings designed to pass blame. No money to pay vendors. Vendors hate hate hate working with you. Dealers Hate Selling Products. No true quality control. Paychecks are often late. Vendors have to trade product for payments or they wont get paid even if the company is months behind on paying them. Medical Insurance lapsed on me once due to non payment, and I couldn't see my doctor. Insurance I was paying my share of every week. No raises. Taking earned time off is considered a bad thing. Federal Raids.. You cant make this stuff up... Employees are considered disposable. Was told many times that people are completely replaceable.

Advice to Management

If you really care like you say you do, sell the company to someone who can support the business and take care of the company and employees.

"Love the fake padded reviews"

Former Employee - Buyer
    Former Employee - Buyer

I worked at Cal spas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely nothing! You are entering into the gates of hell.

Cons

As obvious with the fake positive reviews, they will lie about everything. I've been in the work force for over 25 yrs. By far the worst place ever. Reviews talk about the cute dogs...too bad they poop and pee everywhere. There are roaches in lunch room. Mouse traps under every desks. At being raided bt the feds for insurance fraud.

Advice to Management

Sell and crawl back under your rock.

"Losing Through Intimidation"

Former Employee - Former Salaried, Reclassified As in Pomona, CA
    Former Employee - Former Salaried, Reclassified As in Pomona, CA

I worked at Cal spas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have nothing good to say about the company. Their employees are great, but they don't make policy. "Employee empowerment" has no meaning there.

Cons

I’m a former long-time employee and I know for a fact that the three reviews, “Supervisor”, “Great Pay”, and “Not too bad. Needs more team spirit, tho” were written by Cal Spa employees because they were asked to by management to act as a counterpoint to all of the bad reviews.

Which reviews are correct? The bad ones. This is a bad, bad place to work. Every dysfunctional thing you’ve ever read in a Dilbert cartoon happens there, NO exaggeration. If you have to ask your employees to game the system on a web site that reviews your company because all of your reviews are bad, there’s a message there.

Some people are paid well, but only because they have jobs that are hard to keep filled because they absorb abuse from top management. After several months, people leave because the pay isn’t worth the stress, which takes its toll on your health and family life. I know, because I was one of them, but my employment there was much more than several months. I've seen a lot there.

My review title is a play on the Robert Ringer book “Winning Through Intimidation”, but this place is a loser and the top management are losers. They’re losing business, they’re losing customers, they’re losing vendors, and they’re losing market share.

But one thing they win at is intimidation, which is how they do business. I’ll quote another reviewer: “As other reviewers have mentioned, they severely abuse their vendors, especially in regards to credit. They max out their credit with a new vendor, and ask for an increase, ask for another increase, and another. Then about 90 days out the refuse to pay until they negotiate a lower balance (like 40-50% lower).”

This is how they do business. There is no win-win, only you-lose. They intimidate their employees with threats of firing for the slightest mistake, and they keep them constantly insecure with constant furloughs at the last minute to make them feel grateful that they’re working at all, even part time. Management genuinely believes their employees should feel grateful for even the limited hours they work rather than sympathetic with the burden their reduced schedule puts on their employees.

They routinely, and with full awareness that what they’re doing is wrong, enact policies that are illegal. They have been fined by the California Department of Labor Relations many, many times. I know this from personal experience with the company. They were forced to contribute their share to the matching 401k (when they had one) because they were legally obligated to, and then fired the employee who blew the whistle on it.

They were once raided by the police for Disability Insurance fraud. The police segregated the employees in conferences rooms and break rooms while they downloaded the contents of company’s network. A week later, we were being paid by a different payroll system. There was no discussion of this by management at all, ever. I myself was interviewed by the police, but I don’t work in Accounting or Payroll, so my input was limited. The police told us that the raid involved the company’s contribution to the Disability Insurance fund, so this isn’t hearsay, it’s my experience.

As mentioned earlier, they intimidate their vendors to get extensions on credit and then threaten not to pay unless the vendor takes them to court.

They intimidate their spa dealers until they get so fed up with either losing money because of the low quality of Cal Spa products or their company’s complete unreliability that they drop them.

No one wins with this company. Their employees lose, spa dealers lose, customers lose, vendors lose, and now as their business gets worse as their products get worse, management is losing, and they deserve it because of their bad business practices. The market rewards excellence and punishes failure and abuse of the system. This is an abusive company. Stay away.

Advice to Management

None. They don't care, and neither do I. They will not pull out of the nose dive because they're too arrogant to take advice.

"Administration of Stuff."

I worked at Cal spas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None to speak of. They had a great opportunity to grow but the management were abusive to everyone. I have been reading the current reviews and they seem better. Does that mean that those ding-dongs sold the company to nicer people? I am betting that they are stuffing these reviews to make it seem better than it is.

Cons

Abusive management style no matter what you did for them. What a terrible place to work. It is impossible that anyone with any self-esteem would like working there.

Advice to Management

SELL TO SOMEONE WHO GIVES A DARN ABOUT SALES AND PEOPLE.

"Engineering - more like copy/paste"

Former Employee - Product Development Engineer in Pomona, CA
    Former Employee - Product Development Engineer in Pomona, CA

I worked at Cal spas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really none. There are a few coworkers that are now lifelong friends, but that's it. The Christmas party was fun.

Cons

I worked in the engineering department, but it's a joke to say they do any engineering. They order all of their competitors products, copy them, file for design patents on the copy, and then sue the competitors for patent infringement. I've witnessed the owner steal components off of competitors products at trade shows. I was instructed by the owner to call competitors to lie and tell them I was a customer and wanted info or products.

The daily meetings have also been mentioned by other reviewers. They are a complete joke. Really just an excuse to yell and scream that you as the employee are incompetent. Example: a certain part of a product that ships separately was routinely getting damaged in shipping. On a particular Monday I am tasked with investigating the issue, forced to give them a date when I will have a plan of action (not knowing ANYTHING about the issue). The next day (Tuesday) there is another report of a damaged product (that happened on Monday), so of course I am berated in the Tuesday meeting in front of everyone; "if you can't do your job, we'll find someone that will!" My supervisor stays silent. Later I learned that you just stay silent to avoid getting yelled at.

Advice to Management

I don't think the management take advice. If they want to run the company like a dictatorship that's up to them. But they will continue to have inferior product, and employees that just go through the motions and do anything they can to stay under the radar.

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA

Pros

My fellow co-workers were great people. Your checks didnt bounce.

Cons

Upper management is very demeaning, and they do not value their employees. They let people go with absolutely no warning, report to HR and good bye. Every November to January people are let go. And this isnt mentioned in the interview process. Whenever policies change, theres no warning, hr feels it isn't necessary to notify you of changes, but rather tell you no once you ask for certain things and simply say, "umm casey changed the rule a long time ago." spas are constantly being shipped incomplete because cal spas doesnt pay their bills, therefore vendors dont deliver. Employees have to lie to dealers and customers as to why something hasnt been delivered, and its not delivered because cal spas hasnt paid the vendors for the product. Im very surprised they havent gone bankrupt. Also they dont drug test or do background checks they are too cheap! The warehouse is filled with drug abusers and criminals, ladies watch out and be careful.

Advice to Management

Value your employees, and I'm sure there work will improve. Pay your bills. Stop laying people off without notice, we have families to support. Stop yelling and screaming your not a 3 yrs old.