Cal spas Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Great Company to Work For"

I worked at Cal spas full-time

Pros

Cal Spas is a great company to work for. They have great benefits. I wish I could still work there but the commute was killing my truck. I'm happy with the company I'm at now but I did enjoy my time on the assembly line at Cal Spas.

Cons

Dress warm because the assembly line is pretty exposed to the weather.

Advice to Management

Maybe find heaters for the assembly line.

"Hostile"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA

I worked at Cal spas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There really are no realistic pros to working here.

Cons

The environment in the corporate side is hostile.

Advice to Management

Stop opening yelling and berating the senior management team.

"Less Than One Star"

Former Employee - Management in Pomona, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Pomona, CA

Pros

If you can make it at Cal Spas, you can work anywhere!!! The positive reviews on this site are absolutely made up by Executive Management at Cal Spas. That the type of thing they do.

Cons

Screaming Every Day by Owner and VP. Pointless morning Meetings designed to pass blame. No money to pay vendors. Vendors hate hate hate working with you. Dealers Hate Selling Products. No true quality control. Paychecks are often late. Vendors have to trade product for payments or they wont get paid even if the company is months behind on paying them. Medical Insurance lapsed on me once due to non payment, and I couldn't see my doctor. Insurance I was paying my share of every week. No raises. Taking earned time off is considered a bad thing. Federal Raids.. You cant make this stuff up... Employees are considered disposable. Was told many times that people are completely replaceable.

Advice to Management

If you really care like you say you do, sell the company to someone who can support the business and take care of the company and employees.

"Love the fake padded reviews"

Former Employee - Buyer
    Former Employee - Buyer

I worked at Cal spas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely nothing! You are entering into the gates of hell.

Cons

As obvious with the fake positive reviews, they will lie about everything. I've been in the work force for over 25 yrs. By far the worst place ever. Reviews talk about the cute dogs...too bad they poop and pee everywhere. There are roaches in lunch room. Mouse traps under every desks. At being raided bt the feds for insurance fraud.

Advice to Management

Sell and crawl back under your rock.

6. "Not too bad. Needs more team spirit tho."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Cal spas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable company, easy to get along with coworkers, great products, customers are never too angry (probably because they are relaxing in a spa lol)

Sometimes the owner brings his dogs. OMG they are so cute! He's got like 3 and they love everyone! They're super friendly and should be the mascots!

Cons

boss can raise his voice. office air conditioning too high. parking lot is small.

Advice to Management

I left to find another job that was closer to my apartment. Maybe celebrate birthdays as a company? More company fun activities like a Halloween party? It would make work more fun i think :D :)

7. "Supervisor"

I worked at Cal spas full-time

Pros

The assembly line is pretty laid back. Putting the spas takes a while but its a little slow and I didn't feel rushed. People are fun and not really bossy in the factory. Breaks are good and theres a spot outisde if you wanna smoke a cigarette.

You need to speak spanish a little though since some of the crew only speaks spanish. There's other managers though that can speak spanish if you need help.

Cons

I wished I didn't get laid off without notice but it happens in life.

Advice to Management

Give more notice for layoffs, its ok to be laid off but just let us know a little early ok?

8. "Great Pay"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Pomona, CA
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Pomona, CA

I worked at Cal spas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty awesome pay for just getting my IT Certificate. Good office and IT staff.

Cons

Lunch is a little short. 30 minutes isn't too long for me to get food and eat. I'm used to hour lunches.

Advice to Management

extend lunch by 30 minutes. It will help.

"Perhaps another Company"

Current Employee - Plannar in Pomona, CA
    Current Employee - Plannar in Pomona, CA

I have been working at Cal spas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I found that my fellow associates are hard working family oriented people. All are there to put in a good days work and enjoy each others company.

Cons

In season, working at Cal Spas you work full time. However during the light season, hours are cut and you think you are working part time.

Advice to Management

Realize your workers are there to support you. In return it would be helpful to support them in return. Limit the drama to a minimum.

"Losing Through Intimidation"

Former Employee - Former Salaried, Reclassified As in Pomona, CA
    Former Employee - Former Salaried, Reclassified As in Pomona, CA

I worked at Cal spas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have nothing good to say about the company. Their employees are great, but they don't make policy. "Employee empowerment" has no meaning there.

Cons

I’m a former long-time employee and I know for a fact that the three reviews, “Supervisor”, “Great Pay”, and “Not too bad. Needs more team spirit, tho” were written by Cal Spa employees because they were asked to by management to act as a counterpoint to all of the bad reviews.

Which reviews are correct? The bad ones. This is a bad, bad place to work. Every dysfunctional thing you’ve ever read in a Dilbert cartoon happens there, NO exaggeration. If you have to ask your employees to game the system on a web site that reviews your company because all of your reviews are bad, there’s a message there.

Some people are paid well, but only because they have jobs that are hard to keep filled because they absorb abuse from top management. After several months, people leave because the pay isn’t worth the stress, which takes its toll on your health and family life. I know, because I was one of them, but my employment there was much more than several months. I've seen a lot there.

My review title is a play on the Robert Ringer book “Winning Through Intimidation”, but this place is a loser and the top management are losers. They’re losing business, they’re losing customers, they’re losing vendors, and they’re losing market share.

But one thing they win at is intimidation, which is how they do business. I’ll quote another reviewer: “As other reviewers have mentioned, they severely abuse their vendors, especially in regards to credit. They max out their credit with a new vendor, and ask for an increase, ask for another increase, and another. Then about 90 days out the refuse to pay until they negotiate a lower balance (like 40-50% lower).”

This is how they do business. There is no win-win, only you-lose. They intimidate their employees with threats of firing for the slightest mistake, and they keep them constantly insecure with constant furloughs at the last minute to make them feel grateful that they’re working at all, even part time. Management genuinely believes their employees should feel grateful for even the limited hours they work rather than sympathetic with the burden their reduced schedule puts on their employees.

They routinely, and with full awareness that what they’re doing is wrong, enact policies that are illegal. They have been fined by the California Department of Labor Relations many, many times. I know this from personal experience with the company. They were forced to contribute their share to the matching 401k (when they had one) because they were legally obligated to, and then fired the employee who blew the whistle on it.

They were once raided by the police for Disability Insurance fraud. The police segregated the employees in conferences rooms and break rooms while they downloaded the contents of company’s network. A week later, we were being paid by a different payroll system. There was no discussion of this by management at all, ever. I myself was interviewed by the police, but I don’t work in Accounting or Payroll, so my input was limited. The police told us that the raid involved the company’s contribution to the Disability Insurance fund, so this isn’t hearsay, it’s my experience.

As mentioned earlier, they intimidate their vendors to get extensions on credit and then threaten not to pay unless the vendor takes them to court.

They intimidate their spa dealers until they get so fed up with either losing money because of the low quality of Cal Spa products or their company’s complete unreliability that they drop them.

No one wins with this company. Their employees lose, spa dealers lose, customers lose, vendors lose, and now as their business gets worse as their products get worse, management is losing, and they deserve it because of their bad business practices. The market rewards excellence and punishes failure and abuse of the system. This is an abusive company. Stay away.

Advice to Management

None. They don't care, and neither do I. They will not pull out of the nose dive because they're too arrogant to take advice.

"Administration of Stuff."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA

I worked at Cal spas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None to speak of. They had a great opportunity to grow but the management were abusive to everyone. I have been reading the current reviews and they seem better. Does that mean that those ding-dongs sold the company to nicer people? I am betting that they are stuffing these reviews to make it seem better than it is.

Cons

Abusive management style no matter what you did for them. What a terrible place to work. It is impossible that anyone with any self-esteem would like working there.

Advice to Management

SELL TO SOMEONE WHO GIVES A DARN ABOUT SALES AND PEOPLE.