CalTech (Texas) Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "The Real Deal"

Current Employee - IT Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at CalTech (Texas) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are jobs, and there are career opportunities. This company is made of opportunities - every position has an entry level starting point where you prove your capability and earn the rewards that come with advanced responsibilities. There are even cases where positions have been created or relocated because of specific skills or employee needs. The overall environment is also one of shared purpose and collaboration. If you've been following LinkedIn articles recently, you may have heard of toxic work environments with infighting, counter-productivity, and malaise. Not so, at CalTech! The standard for greatness is shown in shout-outs on the internal message board, providing a shining example of the qualities valued by the management who notice excellence and let everyone know how proud they are. You know that they've got your back when it counts, and they are invested in your success - and your family's. Go find the video (search for "Caltech family picnic" on that big video site) and see for yourself. Travel, food, venue, and lodging were all paid for by the company this year. If your career is having trouble getting off the ground, this is a great place to launch, and an even better place to stay.

Cons

You have to want it. If you are not motivated and willing to put in the work, success will not be handed to you. It's also not easy just getting in the door - in one recent year, there was a ratio of 400 applications for every hire. The positive side of this is that the employees who are there really are exceptional. There is also a fair bit of pressure early on for the engineering path as there is a deadline to acquire certain certifications which are required for the position. If you don't get them, you cannot stay, and it requires significant time and effort investment. Your personal life may suffer for a little while, or longer depending on how ambitious you are, particularly if you do not live in San Angelo where all formal training is done.

Advice to Management

As with many call centers, there is an issue of background noise. Putting people who frequently use the phone in cubicles near people who much less frequently expect phone calls creates less of a possibility to maintain a low-noise-pollution environment. I recommend dividing the Tier 1 departments into their own areas, or provide noise-cancelling hardware to alleviate the sound affecting call quality.

2. "Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Tier I Desktop Support Engineer in San Angelo, TX
    Current Employee - Tier I Desktop Support Engineer in San Angelo, TX

I have been working at CalTech (Texas) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the best company I've ever worked for. Everyone here is welcoming, fair, and eager to help each other succeed. Even the customers are wonderful people to work with (and I've understood why)! A strong focus is placed on building solid relationships with customers, and a lot of respect is created from just that idea alone. There are also clear paths to progress your career within CalTech. Most people started as a Tier 1 desktop support tech, so they are able to relate to the work involved no matter what role they currently perform. Powerful ideas reside at CalTech's core that will steadily push it forward to succeed. This is the kind of company I would want to create if given the chance, and I aim to continue to be a part of it's future for years to come.

Cons

The interview process is rigorous, but it is worth it.

Advice to Management

Never let go of the core values you've already established.

3. "Recruiting and Sourcing Specialist"

I have been working at CalTech (Texas) full-time

Pros

Family Friendly, Supportive Environment, Opportunities for Growth, and Honest.

Cons

None I can think of.

4. "Exceptional Employer"

Current Employee - Acct Manager in San Angelo, TX
    Current Employee - Acct Manager in San Angelo, TX

I have been working at CalTech (Texas) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Environment and team is spectacular. Never have I part of a place that is so conducive to being successful and celebrating those successes with a team that is supportive along the entire way. The energy and dynamic radiates positivity and it's contagious. With previous employers, you have the "dread" of going to work. Now, I have the WANT & WILL to get to come to work and it is so refreshing. To see what this company is and their mission is simple, take care of your employees and they will take care of you. Being motivated and working hard is simple when you are a part of a structure like this and other companies would be wise to take note.

Cons

I do not have any.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the great things you do!

5. "Amazing Environment"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CalTech (Texas) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The main reason that I have enjoyed my time at CalTech is primarily due to the people that I get to work with. In most companies, there is at least one person that you can't stand or doesn't carry their weight in terms of the work load. I have yet to meet someone at CalTech who fits that description.
    CalTech has great benefits, promotes a healthy work/life balance, and has a very positive atmosphere.
    It is definitely a company that rewards hard work and effective communication.
    Also, the management is extremely supportive and wants to help in any way they can.

Cons

The interview process can be slow. If you are interested in applying, definitely start a couple months in advance.
    That being said, it is well worth the wait.

Advice to Management

Awesome job. Keep doing what you're doing.

CalTech (Texas) Response

Mar 26, 2018

Current Employee -

Thank you for the valuable feedback. We work diligently on bringing on individuals who will enhance our culture!

6. "Unlike any other!"

Current Employee - Tier I Engineer in San Angelo, TX
    Current Employee - Tier I Engineer in San Angelo, TX

I have been working at CalTech (Texas) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture - In the IT world, things can be rather cut throat. Opportunities for promotions are slim, thus making it every technician for themselves! CalTech does not have this mentality with its employees. From day 1 as a Tier 1 Engineer, my Manager, Trainer, and fellow technicians have always been there to support and push me to further myself and get promoted. It really is just yourself that will hold you back. The floodgates are wide open from Tier 1 to Tier 3. And promotions do not have to be vertical either. We have plenty of people who started out as technicians, but then moved into Account Management or other roles. There is no competition between you and the tech next to you. Just between you and yourself.

People - As I stated before, I have yet to meet anyone at CalTech that is not friendly and there to help each other. Everyone seems to have the mentality that the success of one is the success of all. Whether it's helping a fellow technician figure out a technical issue, or just taking care of things around the office, the atmosphere is one of teamwork.

Cons

Starting Compensation Rate - Should you apply and be selected to for CalTech's interview process, you may be thrown off initially by it's starting compensation rates. They are slightly lower than average, but please keep in mind, CalTech does not want you to stay at your starting rate too long. CalTech wants you to get certified and move up in the company. Once you get past our Tier 1 pay structure, the compensation rate is right along with industry standard. Even at the Tier 1 rate, as a full time employee, the benefits you receive are excellent and on par with industry standards too.

Advice to Management

Keep coaching the employees; Keep looking forward and guiding the company to the future; and Keep the culture that makes CalTech such a great place to work!

CalTech (Texas) Response

Mar 13, 2018

Current Employee,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback. We work diligently to be the employer of choice and are so happy to hear that you feel that CalTech is a great place to work.

7. "Desktop technician"

I have been working at CalTech (Texas) full-time

Pros

The culture.
    The people.
    The learning experience.

Cons

If there is cons. I can see only one. Compensation rate.

"There are good companies out there, and this is one!"

I have been working at CalTech (Texas) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No matter what is done here company-wide, it's done with the best intentions, lots of thought, and lots of discussion between all levels before implementation. The employees matter here. If one of us has an idea, we are heard. And if the idea cannot be implemented, we are told why! We are held accountable, given clear expectations, and are celebrated when we have a victory, be it personal or professional. I've never known a company to get everything right every time. This one doesn't either. But they listen, review, and correct themselves when needed. When have you ever been able to say that about your employer? Ego has no place here. Just like everyone else here, I get to meet with my manager 1 on 1 and we talk about the previous month's successes, and what my goals are for the next month. And my manager makes it clear how my personal goals tie directly into the department goals, and how those tie into the company's goals. I'm not just a cog in the machine here. My position has a purpose. There's so much more good stuff.

Cons

None that I see, especially compared with a lot of companies out there that use you up and spit you out.

Advice to Management

We are growing so fast! Which is awesome! Just please remember that growth means change, and when it's feasible, continue to communicate these changes and the reasoning behind them.

9. "Excellent growing company with huge potential"

Current Employee - Mentor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Mentor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at CalTech (Texas) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

CalTech has given me the opportunity to grow from Tier 1 all while itself has grown from a small company in San Angelo to now serving multiple locations. The culture here is excellent and people here want to work. The performance based pay is exactly what it takes to keep the morale high and politics out of decision making. We have quarterly fun events that sometimes include the whole family and an annual company party that helps everyone get to know each other and have a good time. The mission, vision and values truly are lived out and every decision is based off them. As we grow, even more opportunities are becoming available.

Cons

If you are not a high performer, this is not the place to work. This is not a job to collect a paycheck, but rather a career.

"Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Angelo, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Angelo, TX

I have been working at CalTech (Texas) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Caltech is an amazing place to work. There are plenty of advancement opportunities and the company continues to grow yet hold on to the values and vision that it has had since day 1. I have been working here for almost 3 years and am grateful to work alongside such an awesome team of hardworking and genuine people. The culture is impossible to beat and makes coming to work every day fun. The team-based environment is designed to help you utilize your strengths while focusing on bettering in your weak areas so that you can maximize your abilities and grow as a tech. Everyone helps everyone, and the management understands the importance of family first , as family has a huge role in the company. Along those lines, Caltech also cares heavily about the community, as we have a Bigger Purpose team that focuses on pouring in to charities and volunteer work. Management is all promoted internally, so every manager has worked on the first level of support and knows what daily tech work is like. Management also has an open-door policy, so any concerns can be brought up to management at any time.

There are a lot of great things to say about this company, but to sum it up, if you bring in a good work ethic, passion for IT, and desire to help people, Caltech will help you grow, get certified, and use your strengths to get to where you need to be!

Cons

Can not think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Never forget the importance of the team and continue to serve, encourage, and help them grow!