Calamos Asset Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Calamos Asset Management Reviews

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great location, free lunch, very clean and organized building (in 35 reviews)

• Work life balance, commute, beautiful office (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • For years the company has had negative investment performance and sales outflows (in 4 reviews)

• Bad people fester and thrive while good people that care and work hard are chewed up and spit out (in 3 reviews)

1. "Good company to work for. Training could have been longer"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Naperville, IL

I worked at Calamos Asset Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training program. Helpful superiors. On-site lunch

Cons

Long commute (I live in Chicago).

"Too much control at the top"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Calamos Asset Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong commitment to investment team

Cons

No commitment to marketing staff

Advice to Management

Change

"Run, don't walk!!!!"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Naperville, IL

I worked at Calamos Asset Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunches, covered parking, green building

Cons

Management is a joke. People in certain areas of authority who have no business and no understanding of what their employees do. Worked for someone who was so insecure with their knowledge and abilities, that this person would go out of their way to treat me like crap. Management plays favorites and doesn't compensate employees accordingly. Managers and HR stick together and bully employees. You can't trust your fellow employees because they may stab you in the back.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. You have lost many talented people over the years. Just like that old saying goes, with a little revision, cream rises to the top and gets out and scum hangs around.

"Not unless you have no where else to go..."

I worked at Calamos Asset Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful office and location with great food provided.

Cons

IT controls everything and spies on employees. John Calamos hates sales and marketing people and picks a flavor of the month and then it's on to the next. If you're not in the family, stay away because you will be tossed around like a sack of garbage.

"No one lasts very long at Calamos"

I worked at Calamos Asset Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice building, free lunch, outdoor patio and walking path

Cons

No one lasts long. Tons of turnover in senior management. The entire management team turned over in 5 years. Before you join, find out how long people in your department have been there. Very few get raises. Comp stays flat. Many departments have had complete blow ups over the last few years especially marketing. Firm has gone downhill since Nick Calamos and Jim Boyne left.

Advice to Management

Bring some stability to the senior management team. Give top performers raises.

"Good corporate structure. Great training program."

Former Employee - Sales in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Naperville, IL

I worked at Calamos Asset Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They do a great job of hiring good people, whether they are experienced or not, and provide excellent training. Had some frustrations with the company during my time there, but the farther away I get, the more I see how well put together the organization is.

Cons

This went from a small operation to a large, 450-500 person company within a relatively short period of time so upper mamangement had a hard time not knowing what was going on in each department all of the time. Somewhat of a micromanagement situation.

Advice to Management

Unleash your talent a bit more. You hire good people and sometimes hold them back.

"If you have a good boss, it's awesome (until it isn't)"

Former Employee - Senior XYZ (III Word Title, Want to BE Anonymous) in Naperville, IL

I worked at Calamos Asset Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Don't believe the other posts (at least not completely). Calamos will aggressively adjust compensation for talented employees. If you are performing well, you'll be taken care of. I added fifty percent to my ample starting salary in about 3 years.

Perks, perks, perks. Lunch, fruits, drinks. Parking. Everyone else has mentioned this.

Cons

There are hard pay ceilings for certain departments. After three years, I basically stopped having compensation adjusted. My VP raved about my work and told me that it never stopped getting better. The problem is that I worked in a role that indirectly contributed to the bottom line, rather than in trading or research.

Advice to Management

Stop making your EVPs, SVPs, and VPs (like my old boss) live in fear. They keep quitting for a reason.

9. "Good place to work if you are not an aggressive employee"

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Calamos Asset Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance, hours are flexible, you have time to learn, not a lot of stress, free lunch, fruits, snacks, tea and coffee, pay is ok. They have summer hours program and jeans day every Friday in the summer. They have some discounts for employees and they are thinking of creating a day care.

Cons

Work from home is not available and the lunch could have some more healthier options.

10. "outsourcing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Pros

Love my hours, free lunch is great, share in the belief "spirit to serve", decent outsourcing package, good people to work with.

Cons

Not many options to transfer out of department due to outsourcing. Posted for other position but hired someone w/ less experience from outside the company.

Advice to Management

Did not receive much appreciation for the work we do when the decision came down to outsourcing the ops department.

"I agree"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Pros

I agree with the others. Good benefits, free lunch, etc. The work is rather easy, so there is not much stress.

Cons

Political. my managers are not very involved with the associates, so there is little communication. Most people feel they are underpaid

Advice to Management

Communicate, take time to talk to those you manage and get to know them
    Managers need to give more responsibility to the associates