Calendar Club Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Marc Winkelman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Dissambling the fixture at the end of season (in 3 reviews)

• HR claiming not to know of your existence when asking for a reference, despite the hours of hard work given (in 3 reviews)

1. "Bad company"

Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Calendar Club (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent but that's all

Cons

They would not let me communicate

Advice to Management

Listen to your employers

2. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Altoona, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Altoona, PA

I have been working at Calendar Club full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best customer service and selection

Cons

72 HR wk on non holiday season and 85 to 96 hrs a wk from Black Friday to Jan2

Advice to Management

Keep track of products, inventory, and utilize find it for maxing customer satisfaction.

"Communication is essential."

I have been working at Calendar Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best part about the job is the ability to work within the confines of your respective area with little oversight.

Cons

Absolutely no communication between departments leads to lost opportunities and poor implementation of programs.

Advice to Management

Strategize, Implement and Execute. Figure out what you want to be. Find your niche in the market, let go of failing programs, and remember what originally made you successful.

4. "New company still learning how to operate Fuego and Attic Salt"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Springfield, MO

I worked at Calendar Club full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun merch, laid back atmosphere. Plan goals are not insanely high so you can actually bonus. Let's associates express themselves, LGBT friendly

Cons

Took forever to get payroll increased to the volume I was running, needs better training programs my staff is successful because of my past experience. No way to communicate issues about Area Managers. Way too many platforms to operate from SRV, paylocity, FTP... and more. Coming from outside the company it's insanely overwhelming,

Advice to Management

Invest in training materials and customer service videos, open up communication for growth for Area Managers

5. "Employee"

Current Employee - Manager in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Manager in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Calendar Club full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There isn't a thing that is good anymore they don't care that is corporate America for you they used to care but that is out the door I'm done blah blah blah

Cons

Not good at all they only care about them salves and how much money they can make on us poor slobs

Advice to Management

Bill

6. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Calendar Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Seasonal
    -My manager was great. She was very flexible when needed, and she kept my hours regular.
    -Lots of hours
    -Lots of free time since the store was mostly empty
    -Fair starting pay (I was also able to get a $0.25 bonus after taking some tests for the company about their values and procedures)
    -Coworkers were very nice
    -Customers were very nice

Cons

-Owner would only spend money when absolutely necessary. They refused to pay for anything more than the bare minimum, even if it would've improved the store greatly.
    -The plans for setting up the store didn't match the actual store at all, and many of the things they gave us (signs, posters, etc.) weren't compatible with the store at all.
    -The lights and front sign of the store was broken for at least 2 months of my employment, but the Owner didn't help fix those
    -The store wasn't supplied with a mop, even though it was in a location with lots of snow + salt. My manager had to go buy a mop for the store to prevent it from looking horrible half of the time. The Owner didn't want to reimburse my manager for the mop either.
    -Worked alone for 90% of my time. Although I was fine with this, many of my employees struggles because they were either not as quick on their feet, or they didn't have a good idea of how the register worked.
    -Lack of training
    -VERY late with the first payment. I probably didn't get my first paycheck for a month and a half after I started. I was supposed to be paid every two weeks. After the first payment, it got more regular.
    -Issues with payments. My first check had my name spelled wrong on it, and the amount was off. Many of my coworkers had similar troubles all throughout their time working there.
    -Little warning about things. We wouldn't be told about upcoming sales, events, etc. until just before those things happened. It made things difficult to manage at times.
    -We got way too much inventory. We were told we had to put ALL inventory received out on the floor, but our store was always way too full. We ended up having to store a lot of extra items in the back.
    -The store I worked in wasn't as successful as the 6-7 other stores the Owner had, so they paid little attention to our store. The Owner often mentioned how our store wasn't making enough money.

Advice to Management

Improve communication and be willing to give more to those who work for you. Some things may not seem completely necessary, but they could really improve the store and sales.

7. "Good Company/ Nice environment"

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Austin, TX

Pros

You can learn a lot, and the team is very close. The work environment is the highlight.

Cons

I was seasonal and the pay wasn't the best.

8. "Corporate headquarters"

Former Employee - Merchandising Department in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandising Department in Austin, TX

I worked at Calendar Club full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bonus potential. Friendly co-workers.

Cons

Bonus allocation was arbitrary and not consistent. Antiquated thinking and internal systems overall. If it wasn't on a xl spreadsheet it didn't exist.

Advice to Management

Move into this century.

9. "Poor communication between Employees and Managers."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Liberty Township, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Liberty Township, OH

I worked at Calendar Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's mostly dead on a daily basis, you have a ton of free time.

Cons

As a result of the store being dead 90% of the time, You're often expected to work alone, This wouldn't be a problem by regular means, but they do not train you for several functions of the register, such as discounting, refunds, specific credit card transactions and more.

I had never worked retail before this job, and while the manager seemed nice during the interview, she never told me I'd be working alone my first day, and she was irritated whenever I called her for help on things I wasn't trained for.

They expect everyone to adapt at the same pace and it just feels unrealistic, in one of my shifts I noticed I wasn't the only one being unproperly trained to run the store, as a new employee was struggling similar to how I was my first day, there's no patience, and no breathing room to learn it's out of the frying pan and into the fire, even worse is that the training I did get was performed at another store that functioned differently than the store I applied for, as I said earlier having me close alone on my first day after having been trained in a completely different store was a terrible idea, and I was met with no mercy for any mistakes.

I honestly would not recommend this job, it's not very busy so you barely get hours, and the managers are from the most understanding people you'll ever meet, and they don't train you well, and the training you do get may be significantly different from the practices used at the store you're applying for.

Advice to Management

find time to train employees at the same store they are to work in, and make sure to give them the exact same training procedures as expected for the store they are to work in, be more understanding, do not continue to expect first time employees to be able to run a store alone on the first day, and if you do tell them ahead of time.

"Poor Department Head and Awful CEO."

Former Employee - Merchandise Planner & Store Display
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planner & Store Display

I worked at Calendar Club full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I surrounded myself with good co-workers from different departments.There are driven employees who wanted to help the company. However many shared the same feelings about specific management executives including my own boss, who does not know how to lead her staff. There were some strong leaders in other departments but her group was known as the most dysfunctional.

Cons

My boss has no experience as a leader. She was rude and sucked at her job. She is just a negative human being overall. The entire company hated her because of how she treated others around her. In the many years that she worked here, she has not contributed to business and somehow she manages multiple departments. The CEO, Marc Winkelman is a horrible leader and also did not have any plans for the business. He would say racist and sexist comments in front of his employees. I have never worked with such poor management and would not allow any of my friends to apply for a position here in this company.

Advice to Management

Train your department leaders. Be more professional in how you talk with your employees. Phase out bad leaders. Create a plan for the company.