Calendar Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "A temporary job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Tampa, FL

I worked at Calendar Holdings part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seasonal work. Fun products. Customers come back year after year. Similar product selection year after year. Cash register system is ok.

Cons

Limited hours, low pay, not organized. For scheduling they expect full availability but do not offer many hours. High prices. No coordination with company website and kiosks.

Advice to Management

Lousy communication

2. "Disagree with Negative Reviews"

Current Employee - Merchandising Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Merchandising Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Calendar Holdings (More than a year)

Pros

I would like to set the record straight. Calendar Holdings is a good company, with hard-working and caring employees. The head of Merchandising was unfairly maligned, and I can attest, she is a great boss and a force in the industry. I understand if people have beef with a former boss, but I do not think using Glassdoor is a good forum to air your grievances. I have worked for a lot of companies, and Calendar Holdings is definitely one of the best.

I felt it was important for someone-who works with the head of Merch very closely--to let my voice be heard. I know companies, and people are not always perfect, but I don't think people should be unfairly maligned.

Cons

Holiday hours are long, but pretty standard in Retail.

3. "Go!"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Calendar Holdings part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The bosses and other co-workers seem very friendly and understanding. Sometimes I get to play with the demo toys. Helping people can be rewarding, especially when selling toys and games you know children will enjoy. They always seem to have sales, and they have a special collection to donate toys to a local charity for Christmas.

Cons

I'm usually operate the store by myself, which means I do not have regular breaks, I have to eat quickly or get interrupted by customers, and I have to make sure to stock the store. Sometimes customers get angry because I was in the back going to the bathroom or undoing stock when they wanted to pay.

"Bad Leader. Rude Co-Workers."

Former Employee - Buyer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Buyer in Austin, TX

I worked at Calendar Holdings (More than 3 years)

Pros

none except for the small handful of nice co workers.

Cons

My entire department hated my boss who led multiple departments. She is highly unethical, rude, and worst of all, she could not create a single strategic plan to save her life. I have never encountered a worse human being than this. The worse part is that she has worked in this company for more than a decade and she gets away with everything. Marc Winkelman, the CEO is also an awful human being. Bad people attract others like my former boss. He is sexist and talks poorly about everyone. I do not understand why he is allowed to run a company with such bad public behavior. I feel sorry for my teammates who have to suffer from these filthy people.

Advice to Management

Clean up the mess within senior management. Create a plan to award junior level employees. Do not allow filth in the company

"Confusion runs rampant here."

I worked at Calendar Holdings part-time

Pros

Good pay. Fun products (and sometimes you can get cheap or free stuff).

Cons

Management seems to have trouble with organization and being professional.

Advice to Management

Try to get organized and be professional. This is a national company. If there's a project that's consistently not being completed (or making the company money), you might want to put other people on the project.

"Political, Unprofessional and disorganized"

I worked at Calendar Holdings full-time

Pros

Free coffee, plenty of parking during off season, calendar/games giveaway

Cons

This company has had the advantage of being in the calendar game early, so they really didn't have to worry about competitors. With Amazon and online shopping is rising in normality, they are suddenly realizing that they can no longer rely on calendar sales and must update their business strategy. Their first inclination to solving their problems is hiring new senior executives and reshuffling organization, which is causing confusion. Plenty of higher up management with big egos and those who voice concern, are viewed as problematic, yet at the same time, they put the responsibility on workers to speak up.

Advice to Management

Listen to your workers, they bottom line your work. Pay warehouse people competitively so they don't take off when a better deal strikes during heavy season.

7. "review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, IL

I worked at Calendar Holdings (Less than a year)

Pros

Area was close to where I lived. Work was easy. Employer was great.

Cons

I didn't have any problems working here

"Go Calenders!"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Calendar Holdings part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy interviews and hiring process. Good seasonal job for seniors and students. Not too busy work. An easy job that is not too labor intensive.

Cons

Since they hire any warm body without checking references, expect to work with lazy people. I think the company is unorganized.

Advice to Management

Train your managers and employees. If you continue to hiring anybody off the street, you will continue to have bad employees.

"Don't bother unless you can't get a job elsewhere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Calendar Holdings part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a paying job and it's not very difficult. An okay starting job for getting used to retail, selling things to and talking to customers and using a cash register, etc.

Cons

I was expected to show up fifteen minutes early to open the kiosk and wasn't paid for my trouble. Didn't receive a paid lunch break despite working six hours per shift (I was expected to eat lunch in the kiosk and continue working in between eating). Was not paid for time spent being trained. They tried to get me to believe that Fridays and Saturdays don't count towards max number of hours a student can work, too, though luckily I didn't believe them.

Advice to Management

Not giving a paid lunch break is illegal. As is not paying people for time they've spent working for you. You need to figure something out so you can give your employees a paid lunch break.

"Not a great place, plus low pay"

I worked at Calendar Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were friendly and fun to work with. The job changes with the seasons, so it is engaging. The products are fun, too.

Cons

They have unrealistic expectations of employees, especially for the low compensation they offer. The management was not great. I asked a manager why we were using an outdated, inefficient process, and I was told "that's how we've always done it, so just do it." They have a high turnover rate and seem to get rid of really good people but make exceptions for mediocre employees. They do not seem invested in employees below a management level.

Advice to Management

Your high turnover is costing you a lot of money. Take a really good look at outdated policies and procedures; they are costing you money and good people.