Caleres Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Caleres CEO, President & Chairman of the Board Diane M. Sullivan
Diane M. Sullivan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Community, lifestyle, good work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Discount on shoes could be nice, work environment was somewhat relaxed, decent amount of autonomy and decision making (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Also opportunity to improve some areas of upper management (in 24 reviews)

• work-life balance not a priority (in 12 reviews)

1. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tulalip, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tulalip, WA

I worked at Caleres full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good discount. Fun coworkers. Decent hours for management.

Cons

Tightly managed payroll, worked alone consistently in a district with lots of theft problems. Almost never took breaks, solely focused on shipment rather than customers. Not much room for opportunity as corporate preferred external hires rather than movement from within. Pay was bad, not competitive with other employers in my area.

Advice to Management

Increase payroll and staffing, allow stores to provide the customer service you expect by giving them the means to do so, especially to reduce shrink. Pay people what they deserve to retain good talent. Promote from within to encourage people to stay.

2. "I don't want to put a negative light on the entire company, but my experience with the Bzees brand was extremely poor."

Former Employee - Product Coordinator in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Product Coordinator in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Caleres full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits and pay are decent. There is a fitness center and location is prime walking distance from numerous restaurants.

Cons

Extremely poor management and HR cares more about upper management than retaining other employees. Very outdated work environment. Don't plan on having a happy work/life balance. Again this is strictly talking about the Bzees team, this isn't to say other departments aren't better.

Very corporate, along with extreme office politics. I would not recommend a young professional to work on the Bzees team, though that is the type of employee they prey upon. If you don't have a lot of experience in the fashion industry or corporate in general don't let the Bzees team be one of your first experiences because it will leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Advice to Management

Learn what year it is and take note of what other companies are doing to keep their employees happy. A good salary is no longer worth being miserable for 50+ hours a week. Instead of sticking to your outdated ways learn new methods to keep a happy work/life balance.

Don't keep management that continually forces employees to leave. Obviously if a manager has a poor track record of retaining employees they are the problem not the employee. If you insist on keeping stale management at least go through the effort of retraining them and sending them to leadership programs.

3. "Would not recommend working here"

Former Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Caleres full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits - 401K matching and pension are unmatched

Cons

Overlook indiscretions of employees they deem "great"
    Preach feedback and development, but don't offer it
    Environment is eat or get eaten
    Definitely an "in" crowd - much like high school

Advice to Management

Get HR people that aren't partial and involved in the gossip
    You're losing good people b/c of people in certain mgmt roles

"Rough place to work"

Former Employee - Product Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Caleres full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really don't have too many pros. The people outside of product development/design were always very nice. The people at the St.Louis headquarters always seemed very nice. Lots of perks if you're in the St. Louis office.

Cons

Hostile work environment, crazy hours, extremely small HR department, no job training, not a lot of movement within company.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better

5. "store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Flemington, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Flemington, NJ

I worked at Caleres full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They have good health, medical, and vision insurance. Offer a nice discount on shoes. Have vacation and sick pay for full time employees

Cons

They expect way too much for the payroll they alot. They change their values every few years. They talk about family but do not give employees time to spend with theirs.

Advice to Management

You will be expected to work all holidays, every weekend, and nights. You will receive text messages from dm at all hours of the night.

6. "Disorganised"

Pros

It was close to home.

Cons

The store manager does not know what she's doing.

Advice to Management

Lead by example.

"Caleres couldn't care less"

I worked at Caleres full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good central location in Clayton

Cons

Very political and clicky, they love to talk about trust and transparency but there is NONE. Awful management from the ceo on down.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone and start over from the ground up. Management should wear less cologne

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Rosemont, IL

I worked at Caleres full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company Culture and values are wonderful. The CEO seems to have a great vision that will propel the company forward in the right direction. This is evident from changes in training, and recent re-branding. I was very proud to have her as a CEO and to work for this company at one time.

Cons

The district and regional managers that facilitate the training, development, and create the company experience leave much to be desired. There is a huge disconnect between what the corporate culture and values are, and what you will experience in the customer facing management roles.

District and regional managers were at times unprofessional. They lacked concern for creating a professional work environment. They seem to care only about themselves and whoever causes them the least amount of problems.

This company wants you to be alone in the store very often, or work with skeleton crews while keeping shrink low and offering great customer service. That is possible for someone with experience but not sustainable for the low compensation and having little support from upper management.

Advice to Management

I hope that corporate will create an exit interview to gain insight and to potentially retain great employees. I also suggest that unprofessional behavior be taken care of immediately to deter future occurrence, rather then it being stigmatized to speak up.

9. "assistant manager"

Pros

They have very good benefits and that how they stand out. Good friendly employees that can be family and friends. Always can keep in touch. If you like retail and shoes, go for it!

Cons

They like to overwork managers. Can get a little micromanaged but some may disagree. They don't keep their word. I been in the company for quite awhile. Was part time. Sale associate than got promoted. I asked if I can get another promotion...they promised me they would work on it. Never did. If you want to keep an long time employee that will do good and dedicated for years. Give them a try or a decent raise. Not competitive in wages. The initiatives are pretty good. Been improving. If a person is lifting, give them a reward... Bonus to even try harder.

"Shoe designer"

Former Employee - Associate Shoe Designer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Associate Shoe Designer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Caleres full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing good except it is close to home and has ample parking and is located near good restaurants. The male pattern makers knew what they were doing.

Cons

When Brown Shoe bought Samuels Shoe I was the only employee not brought to the Clayton HQ because I liked my former boss who was replaced. I was brought into the CEOs office who demanded I sign a paper saying I was disloyal and when I refused I was fired. Ridiculous! The new boss was a middle aged hag who was jealous of the 20-30 something women in product development.

Advice to Management

The new company name is stupid