Caliber Home Loans Reviews

Updated May 20, 2022

Found 829 of over 853 reviews

3.3
Caliber Home Loans CEO Sanjiv Das (no image)
Sanjiv Das

The latest conversations about Finance

Join the conversation on

Finance

47.4K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/finance/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Caliber Home Loans~720618
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "pay WAS good but now its hard to make a money and low hourly pay(in 59 reviews)
  • "The people are great and fun to work with.(in 49 reviews)
  • "The company offers good benefits and a comfortable workplace.(in 48 reviews)
  • "Great money, was able to work from home, grind as hard as you wanted(in 20 reviews)
  • "Good Work Life Balance(in 17 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Caliber Home Loans and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good

Apr 25, 2022 - Staff Accountant in Coppell, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment and colluges

Cons

Nothing is bad about the company

2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Used to be awesome

Apr 22, 2022 - Vice President
    Business Outlook

Pros

I really have loved working for Caliber the last couple years. Sanjiv was a great CEO and ran things smoothly and well regulated. He was very thoughtful about how he communicated to the entire company. Lot's of interesting work to do and challenges to solve. Collaborative people trying to build and release tools to help everyone do things more efficiently. Everyone is really nice and wanting to do the right thing. The technology that get released is actually pretty good.

Cons

Pains me to say any of this cause I do look back at my time here as positive. Unfortunately everything has gotten much worse since being acquired. It's like a totally different company than 8 months ago. The Caliber culture is getting crushed. It doesn't feel like NewRez knows what it wants to do. The strategy has been erratic and reactive. "Look and Feel" is not a vision statement and it's not what made Caliber successful before. They haven't kept up with compensation so we're not competitive at all. Merit increases were really bad. They didn't pay out the full bonus which left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. People are fleeing in droves. Most of the Caliber leadership has abandoned ship. HR has pretty much all quit. They are trying to force return to office really hard. It almost feels like they are trying to get people to quit. Hiring is paused even though we need backfills for existing positions. Even with less employees, deadlines aren't adjusted. Feels like major layoffs might be coming soon.

6 people found this review helpful
  3. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great company when I joined, suspect in 2022

May 18, 2022 - Senior Manager, Operations
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing leadership and company when I joined a few years ago. Really depends on the department now.

Cons

Slowly going downhill with the NewRez leaders. Most of them are stressed due to increasing rates and many of the new executives are clueless and arrogant. Feel like the company is just an average mortgage company now.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 4.0

Great place to work

May 6, 2022 - Closer/Funder
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was able to work remote Great commission structure and benefits Great team communication & collaboration to meet goals I had regular reviews and raises

Cons

During peak season closing 100 plus loans was difficult for me

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good work/life balance - Engineering needs improvement

Feb 17, 2022 - Principal Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The importance of work/life balance is recognized by management at Caliber Home Loans and they go to great lengths to prevent burn-out. - There are several platforms in place that allow all voices to be heard and new ideas to be surfaced. Team leads and Architects are welcoming to technologies that promise better productivity, security and stability. - They have a modernized approach to software development with an emphasis on proper agile/scrum methodologies that are becoming more consistent across teams.

Cons

- Engineering quality is sacrificed to deliver on time. Ironically, but not surprisingly, this often results in defects that jeopardize on time delivery. - Product ownership is compartmentalized with sharp lines drawn between each of them. This leads to the "not my responsibility" mentality when unplanned dependencies across teams are encountered which tends to make simple tasks difficult and tedious. - There's not enough emphasis on self-improvement nor are there many tools available if you want to improve your skills. This tends to create an environment where low performing engineers get stuck or skills are improved very slowly if t all.

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 2.0

Not Caliber Any more

May 16, 2022 - Mortgage Underwriter
    Business Outlook

Pros

good benefits, fair pay. Lower Level Managers are pretty good.

Cons

LAYOFFS since NewRez took over. The owner of Newrez has one focus and that is beating Rocket Mortgage. He says it in every video or meeting. The Managing guy Baron Silverstein will just seems okay but they are not loyal to their employees. Caliber doesn't exist anymore. They may hire you remote but it is clear the new owners want people in buildings,

3 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Former Employee

Was a great place

May 18, 2022 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

It was awesome before new res

Cons

New res messed up a great company

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

I hope this company goes under

Apr 20, 2022 - Account Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

If I could give zero stars I would. Nothing. I was there a day, because of the NewRez/Caliber merger. I had a bad feeling about the merger a few weeks before my transition, so I decided to apply elsewhere. LUCKILY, I got something else and did not have to eventually be laid off, which let's face it, was inevitable. Caliber DOES NOT CARE about their employees. There was too much that was sketchy (nothing was ever communicated to us before our transitions) that trumped wanting to stay versus leaving. Buyer be aware. Research this company before you apply, and DO NOT buy into all the robotic/planted positive/happy comments you see.

Cons

Everything. All NewRez employees are basically gone because they were laid off or they foresaw bad things and quit. The Caliber employees are mostly there. It's believed the company got acquired but are still sticking to the same management, dumb LOS system and procedures that supposedly made them horrible enough to have to be liquidated. Again, that's the rumor, but too many people have the same thoughts.

6 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good Place to Work

May 16, 2022 - Collateral Management in Oklahoma City, OK
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work, great management, great benefits

Cons

Wish we could've stayed under Lone Star

10. 3.0

If you live to work,

May 12, 2022 - Licensed Loan Consultant in Coppell, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

- best commission plan in the industry - great training program starting off - frequent giveaways of staycations, pelotons, and ipads

Cons

- long hours, almost daily asked to stay late and cancel any evening plans so we could work late into the evening. Most times without notice until late afternoon of the same day - Claimed we were supposed to work one Saturday from 9-1 with our team every month or so, later expected work almost every Saturday - Consultants quitting regularly - bipolar work environment. One day everyone is happy, the next day everyone is angry and threatening working late/Saturday

Viewing 1 - 10 of 829 Reviews

Caliber Home Loans Reviews FAQs

Caliber Home Loans has an overall rating of 3.3 out of 5, based on over 853 reviews left anonymously by employees. 49% of employees would recommend working at Caliber Home Loans to a friend and 42% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -14% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Caliber Home Loans employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Caliber Home Loans. This rating has decreased by -13% over the last 12 months.

49% of Caliber Home Loans employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Caliber Home Loans 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.1 for culture and values and 3.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Caliber Home Loans to be benefits, coworkers, compensation and the cons to be senior leadership, career development, management.

Popular Careers with Caliber Home Loans Job Seekers