Calibre CPA Group, PLLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
James C. Kokolas CPA

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Calibre - a home away from home"

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Calibre CPA Group, PLLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family oriented
    Partners care about training and development
    Good work/life balance
    Progressive in technology
    Social events - happy hours, charitable events, picnic, holiday party

Cons

Growing pains -- now over 150 employees
    Business spread evenly throughout year - no real down time
    Turnover in admin functions

Advice to Management

Stick to strategic plan and continually reinvest the way you do things. Makes sure you have listen to younger staff ideas on how to improve the firm.

"Compliance auditor"

Former Employee - Compliance Auditor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Compliance Auditor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Calibre CPA Group, PLLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No long work hours ever. Very relaxed and easy. Feels like experience level: first job in high school. other departments are much better.

Cons

Unqualified/Unprofessional management. The environment is way too relaxed, bad company culture and very little to no room for growth or advancement.

Advice to Management

The compliance department is lacking in every way. Effective management would do wonders.

"Compliance Auditor"

I worked at Calibre CPA Group, PLLC full-time

Pros

Great for a recent college grad. Lots of Travel.

Cons

Clique mentality between service lines. Compliance often looked down on as outsiders.

4. "Could value employyes more..."

I have been working at Calibre CPA Group, PLLC full-time

Pros

We get fruit now, thats nice

Cons

Behind on times
    No consistencey in HR

Advice to Management

My experience was over all good. Good talent. Could be more professional. Offer more competitive salaries.

"Compliance Department is Severely Lacking !"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Calibre CPA Group, PLLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every other department EXCEPT Compliance is nice to work at.
    Lots of travel. You can easily build up air miles and travel points.

Cons

Very high turnover for Compliance dept.
    Managers aren't helpful, will push off responsibilities to another manager.
    Managers don't respect employees enough. (Cursing, yelling, is ineffective)
    Unprofessionalism.
    Favoritism. (Managers will only promote you if you're in a relationship with one of them or if you're a subpar worker. Crazy...)

Advice to Management

Management needs to take the time to understand the people that work for them.
    Management needs more training on how to manage.
    Management needs to discourage inappropriate language and behavior in the office (dropping the F-bomb daily and kissing your significant other is inappropriate at work... but managers condone it? Terrible)
    Micromanaging is an ineffective way of managing!
    Management creates a bullying atmosphere by not including one of the managers on purpose. Everyone notices and the lack of respect is sad.
    Try to create a more pleasant and professional environment for Compliance.

"Great place to learn about non profits and employee benefits"

Pros

Direct access to upper management

Cons

Bethesda location, cramped work spaces

Advice to Management

Need a deeper bench

"A little behind the times..."

Pros

nice people who are highly qualified

Cons

Undervalued staff and inability to change

"Good people, lots of travel"

Former Employee - Compliance Auditor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Compliance Auditor in Washington, DC

I worked at Calibre CPA Group, PLLC (More than a year)

Pros

-Get to travel across the continental US (if that's your thing)--probably to places you've never been or places you'd never think of going so you get to explore (think "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives" where you get to try food in places you'd never think to go!)
    -Different types of audit jobs and people
    -Optimal for self-starters and a good place to hone your communication skills
    -Management is very helpful when you are in the field and if you have questions in the office
    -Your trips are scheduled for you so you don't have to worry about completing previous audits and scheduling the audits for the next trip

If you don't like to travel, this isn't the job for you. However the management is extremely honest about this aspect of the job. Typically it is one week travel to perform the audits and one week in the office to complete the audit reports and turn them in. You go on 2-4 training trips in the beginning to work with a senior auditor to learn the process and have someone there with you while you learn. Once you are on your own, you are still able to call management/senior auditors with any questions you may have while on the audit. Since no audit is the same (different employers, different pension funds, different number employees, special circumstances), it is important that employees are self-starters who can critically analyze the situation. More specifically, it was important that I was able to realize when I should call management or a senior auditor for some help. Also, when you're in the field it is good to know that management has your back and it isn't your job to enforce the rules--just perform the audit and write the report.

Good benefits, compensation, and review process. There are some opportunities where the company has extra baseball tickets you can use. Good company activities for a bit of a break.

I have made many life-long friends at Calibre and kept in touch with management. They're very understanding compared to other positions that I've held--especially compared to government auditing.

This is a good job to understand the basics of payroll auditing--it really gave me a solid foundation. While it is not government auditing (i.e. GAO Yellow/Green Book), it really provided me tools for positions down the road. I probably would have stayed with the company if my health didn't preclude me from travelling.

Cons

Not "cons" per se, but probably important to think about:

-If you're not into 50% travel, this isn't the job for you
    -Must have attention to detail, especially with numbers
    -Must have ability to analyze numbers, think critically, and assess the situation--if you can't figure it out call someone who can help
    -There is a lot of work to be done so it is important to be able to manage your time
    -You may never see or get to know some of your coworkers during the work week (but we always did things outside of work to get to know each other)
    -Sharing a cube with traveling coworkers
    -Main office is in Bethesda, but still in the metro DC area

Advice to Management

I enjoyed having a Calibre "buddy" when I was there--someone who I didn't necessarily do my training trips with but who I could talk to at work and who would occasionally go out to lunch with me. It was important to have that kind of connection so I felt more comfortable asking questions and realized it wasn't just me who had some challenging audits. This also helped facilitate knowledge transfer!!

"TOO MANY CHIEFS AND NOT ENOUGH INDIANS"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Calibre CPA Group, PLLC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment to work and great staff.

Cons

Too many different management influences which causes things to run smoothly

Advice to Management

Utilize your management committees to make decisions and stick to what the committee decides instead of individual influences.

"Compliance Auditor"

Former Employee - Compliance Auditor in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Compliance Auditor in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Travel, decent stepping stone into accounting, teamwork, experience with unions and non-profits, inter-department experience encouraged.

Cons

Very weak management and leadership. Employees are seen more as the "hamster on the wheel", poor inter company communication, little to no incentive to perform, employees spying on each other, poor evaluation process which is seen as being very lax and ineffective. The compliance department is seen as being the "red headed step child".

Advice to Management

Take management and leadership courses. The partners should try harder to form a relationship with the compliance department.