Calico Corners Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Bert G Kerstetter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay and they make it almost impossible to make a commission (in 6 reviews)

• Worked at calico corners for 8 years, Full-to-part time (in 6 reviews)

"in home, management, sales associate, and corporate office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Calico Corners full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This job requires a vast amount of knowledge and training. You get an education at Calico Corners. Many new employees do not anticipate the amount of knowledge and training they are expected to acquire. (which is a good thing). The downside is this takes many years to acquire. Other good points: beautiful workplace, retail hours are so-so.

Cons

The compensation is poor for the amount of knowledge and customer service that is expected from each person. You are on your feet 8 hours a day--literally there will not be a place for you to sit. This is very hard on your body, and the benefit package does not come close enough to mitigate this. You are expected to dress professionally (women in high heels for 8 hours and no sitting). And the "boots on the ground" associate who is the public face for Calico just keeps getting dumped on (hours cut while sales goal increases). A new practice is to only hire part time sales associates (who do not receive benefits) and the subsequent down side is poor customer service and lost sales, the few full time associates are expected to carry the load for the part time people. I started working at Calico 7 years ago and my salary has risen ONE DOLLAR an hour and I am a top level sales person every month.

Advice to Management

The Corporate office is not interested at all in the sales associate experience, there is no effort to relate to us or make the work experience feel beneficial to the associate. There is only the chase for the all mighty dollar. Show some appreciation for the people who are the income generators for the entire company! Pay us more. If you expect us to make money for you then you need to ADVERTISE IN MAGAZINES like the big boys: restoration hardware, pottery barn and crate and barrel.

"Horrible,horrible. If you are even thinking about working for this company run now."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Calico Corners full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is nothing good about this company. The management sick, the benefits stick. Everything about this company smells bad. Employees are not happy at all. Horrible,horrible. If you are even thinking about working for this company run now. You will stuck in a dead end job where everything is taken away from you. Raises are given to management only. Do not apply. You have been warned.

Cons

Same as pro nothing good about this company. It's going down hill and will not in business for long. Good luck to the blood sucking vampire management team.

Advice to Management

You don't know what it means to be a manager.

3. "Company with a soul"

Current Employee - Design Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Design Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Calico Corners part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Constantly striving for improvement
    Emphasis on customer satisfaction
    Prioritizes work-life balance
    Growth opportunities
    Positive attitude and going above and beyond for customers and colleagues is valued and appreciated
    Excellent training
    Great job for networking within the design industry
    Generous employee discount

Cons

The stores always feel like they're being operated on a shoe-string
    Antiquated technology
    Not much money available for raises
    A very high level of competency, initiative, and accuracy is required for very little pay
    Must work most Saturdays (but that's retail!)

Advice to Management

Invest in technology
    Consider outside investment to help spur growth

"Design Associate"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Calico Corners part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training if you love design and customer service. A great company to expand knowledge in the field of interior design.

Cons

The compensation is way below the caliber of employees it needs to attract and keep. There is no growth within the company. Be very aware, if you decide to become employed with Calico, you will be grossly under paid for the knowledge and maturity needed to be successful. The commission program is misleading.

Advice to Management

Respect the knowledge and years of experience currently hired associates bring to the company. Any upper management that will blatantly use words such as "non-negotiable" on a grand scale, is a management that clearly needs to invest in motivational training.

"Part-time Design Associates"

Current Employee - Interior Designer in Tiburon, CA
    Current Employee - Interior Designer in Tiburon, CA

I have been working at Calico Corners part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful fabrics, talented upholstery service, great store manager (which is the main reason I work at this Calico location. I am able to use my interior design skills.

Cons

Extremely underpaid for the expertise we must have. Out of date equipment and computer programs. Store goals are not obtainable with no extra bonus or commission (which at 1/2% is an
    insult) Our store manager is the only one in the company that cares whether we stay. Huge turnover that makes it possible to get a decent schedule, or get orders to customers on time.

Advice to Management

Keep talented employees by paying them well. Advertise to bring in customers. Give a better incentive so design Associates sell more and develop long-term customers.

"Lack of communication"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Beautiful stores, beautiful fabrics, excellent training.

Cons

Low salary for what's expected. Company runs too many sales, confusing for us and the customer. Diconnect between corporate and stores. It seems that the people in charge don't know what they are doing

Advice to Management

Listen and care for your employees, pay better.

"Sales, long time employee"

Former Employee - Former Full-Time In Home Consultant, Currently Part Time Floor Sales in Bloomfield Hills, MI

I worked at Calico Corners part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Talented, hard working, dedicated co-workers. Have made many friends, both co-workers and customers. Great company discount. You will learn more than you can imagine about customer labor, fabric, figuring yardage and customer service.
    Our store is lucky enough to have a wonderful manager. We are willing to work hard for her because she is fair and kind. This makes a great store team. (This is something other managers could learn a lesson from.)
    We sell amazing customer labor and fabrics.

Cons

Incredible the amount that is sold, despite the lack of advertising.
    The equipment and technology are antiquated. Customers laugh at our printers and phones, referring to the equipment as antiques.
    VERY low pay for the skills you need to be effective in doing your job at Calico. The "incentive" is not very inspiring. There is not much room for advancement.
    A cut-throat environment is created on the sales floor in order to develop a frenzy to sell, sell, sell...very strategic ploy.
    You work very hard at Calico, long hours on your feet and the work is mentally challenging, sometimes draining.

Advice to Management

Simplify, simplify, simplify. You've gone in too many directions with furniture, fabric and labor choices.
    Treasure your employees because you have a lot of really good people out there in your stores.
    Give us the basic updated equipment we need to do our jobs.
    Advertise, advertise,advertise. More marketing is needed because people in our own city do not know who we are.

"Before 90 days manager made it appear I was doing amazing, as soon as 90 days hit it felt like a complete 180."

Former Employee - Design Consultant in Grosse Pointe, MI
    Former Employee - Design Consultant in Grosse Pointe, MI

I worked at Calico Corners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hours during the week and even holidays. Great employee discount and a great product even though it can still be pricey.

Cons

Very slow work environment, training is horrible, unrealistic expectations for when it comes to sales per hours. Favorites are chosen.

Advice to Management

Do not lie. Was promised so many things and none of it happened. Almost felt like I was set up.

"Corporate is clueless . . . Employees leave managers not companies"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Calico Corners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team and great hours. Vacation and holiday closing are the best in retail.

Cons

Impossibly high sales goals made it rough to make a bonus. The corporate team does not personally monitor the direct links to the stores. The District Managers are unaccountable for their time or "leadership." Too many "favorites" that are given carte blanch only because of their tenure.

Advice to Management

Bert, look at what your management team is doing. Do you know where your managers are? Some have not been to the stores in months which is rough on a new store manager and team. Just because they have been with you for decades does not make them effective managers! Look into your own backyard!
    Good job making the change in Store Ops leadership and incentive pay. Ensure the new VP of Stores is objective in her evaluations of her team. Especially people who may have hired her.

"Flaws in working conditions"

Former Employee - Interior Design Consultant in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Interior Design Consultant in Orange, CA

I worked at Calico Corners part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great support from coworkers. Training is good it was effective for making sales for the company . Working conditions are satisfactory.

Cons

Problems with Workrooms in making a satisfactory products for clients. Lack of help and to much responsibility for Warehouse staff and not enough support making it difficult for future sales. Better pay.

Advice to Management

Find better incentives for employees so that they may make more sales. Find better workrooms. Listen to what your employees have to say.