Calico Corners Reviews | Glassdoor

Calico Corners Reviews

Updated February 7, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great employee discount and a great product even though it can still be pricey (in 14 reviews)

• I enjoyed working with all the beautiful fabrics and trims (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and sales goals that guarantee it stays low (in 6 reviews)

• Impossibly high sales goals made it rough to make a bonus (in 5 reviews)

"Unappreciated"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Calico Corners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Public reputation is great, repeat business opportunities.

Cons

Owners do not acknowledge or compensate employees with a design education and 20+ years trade experience! They dismiss the value for the skills one needs to accurately preform soup to nuts soft treatment design services. Only willing to pay $8.00 hour!!!!! Insulting. Also, the commissioned floor is a free for all frenzy.

Advice to Management

Respect the knowledge you demand of your employees. Compensate fairly and validate the abundance of skills needed by positively recognizing ones individual contribution under the company's name. Support, highlight and promote the individual with pride.

"Complete disconnect betwen the management team at corporate and the sales staff at the stores."

Current Employee - In Home Consultant in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - In Home Consultant in Phila, PA

I have been working at Calico Corners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customers, furniture, hardware, trims and fabrics. These things make the job fun.

Cons

The high level managent is completely disconnected from the current sales market. The monthly goals that we are expected to meet are not evenly distributed among the stores. The stretch goal is so high that less than 10% of the stores can make a bonus whereas 50% of stores have increases over LY. When you do reach the stretch goal, the bonus is a pitance vs the hard work, long hours and pettiness of the sales team who are paid a %of their sales.the payroll manager, thee vp of stores and the company president are dillusional as to the current spending habits of our customer base. Also, they do not make an effort to spend money on marketing. They need to get our name out there and get people in the door.

Advice to Management

Pay the store managers a bonus based on sales over LY. Get rid of this stupid stretch goal insanity. It does not encourage the staff it demoralizes them.
    Spend money on making the stores as beautiful as the products we sell. Spend money on marketing. You have to spend money to make money Burt and Julie. Keeping all the money in your pockets is not helping morale in the stores, especially stores in horrible locations. People don't walk into stores they can't find.

"Lost job in 2009 after 21 years at Corporate. I loved working there up to last couple years with new President who he"

I worked at Calico Corners full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I used to love how good it felt ti see the company doing better.

Cons

The new leadership helped drag company down from how great it used to be

Advice to Management

Too late for that now I hear the culture is worse then ever

"Great Place to Learn"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at Calico Corners part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice, helpful staff, good manager, hours are good, decent training but could be improved. You learn a lot and become quite verse on many aspects of interior design.

Cons

Poor commission structure and low hourly rate for the skill level and sales goals that is required for this job.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff better, invest in the look of the stores and the people. Store is looking very tired, dated and old...needs major overhaul.

"Great place to work, very pleased :)"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Calico Corners part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in a creative environment with non-mall hours ROCKS. A true platform to grow.

Cons

Technology is being updated- yay, but please hurry ;)

Advice to Management

Keep supporting and growing the company. And for those complaining about goals being too high, you are lazy liars! This company is awesome and I hope to retire here many decades from now!!!

"Underpaid and under equipped"

Former Employee - In Home Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - In Home Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Calico Corners part-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are wonderful. even at corporate. they are really interested in making it a better company and want to know what you have to say.

Cons

grossly underpaid staff. very difficult to make a good living and the tools are incredibly outdated!! they want to be high end but haven't established it yet. very slow moving. lots of outdated systems and a lot of paperwork.

Advice to Management

pay people! full time workers are imperative for client relationships. part time is too difficult to manage projects. seasonal employees to help delegate work and no sales goals on the floor will make it a more pleasant experience for all. way too much work for not enough pay causes the great people to leave.

8. "in home design consultant"

Pros

Great Job, Great discount and super fun to go to work every day.

Cons

Working Saturdays can sometimes be hard.

Advice to Management

none

"Liked the job but beware of management!"

Former Employee - Labor Coordinator in Wilmette, IL
    Former Employee - Labor Coordinator in Wilmette, IL

I worked at Calico Corners full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was at Calico for 10 years starting as part-time on the sales floor and ending as full-time Labor Coordinator. Not a traditional retail operation because holiday times were not the busiest season. I enjoyed the people I worked with and the responsibilities of the back office experience. Working as an liaison between client, sales associate, and work rooms to ensure the custom product was delivery correctly was a challenge I enjoyed and the pay was fair.

Cons

During my 10 years at the company, I worked under 3 managers. The high turnover should say it all! My last manager truly had some anger-management issues and has since left the company.

Advice to Management

My advise to management would be to allow each store a little more individuality and update your image for the current market.

"Company is behind the times"

I have been working at Calico Corners part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Discount, holidays, Discount, Discount , Oh did I mention Discount

Cons

They require employees to do a job that should pay at least $20-$25/hour for $10./hr. This is not really a retail job. They also have a in home program that needs to be revamped. All Design Associates/Consultants should be in homes. and save the company money. They have tunnel vision.

Advice to Management

Pay your Design Associates/Consultants well and allow all to do In homes. You will have less turn around on In Homes, increase profits and present a better company image. Also spend money on tecnology. New store music system does not help sell.

"Adapting slowly to the internet age"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Calico Corners part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have really beautiful, high-quality fabrics and furniture, really happy return customers, and the sales associates/designers had the ability to establish excellent working relationships with customers, who would come back to work with them repeatedly. Training was very thorough and ongoing. I learned a great deal about furniture construction and window treatment installation. Employees were helpful to each other, and treated each other with professional courtesy.

Cons

They have gone through some severe growing pains, and seem to have lost their focus. They once catered to do-it-yourself types, but now prefer to sell their fabrication services instead. The transition came at an already low point in the overall economy. Morale was very low at the corporate level, but this was probably due to the changes, which included many layoffs. The amount of incentive (sales commissions) that it was possible to make was exaggerated by the hiring manager, but I suspected it was too good to be true, and so went in with realistic expectations.

Advice to Management

Be realistic with your employees about the sales they are or should be capable of. I didn't know anyone who wasn't trying their best, yet the manager was unhappy with everyone. Performance reviews were a dreaded experience. Our store had high turnover in the years before it closed, and people mentioned the general manager as the main reason.