California Casualty Reviews | Glassdoor

California Casualty Chairman & Chief Executive Officer Carl (Beau) Brown
Carl (Beau) Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "No cons only good things happen at this company" (in 6 reviews)

• "Small company, no room for upward mobility" (in 6 reviews)

1. "No just another job, but a career with a Family."

Current Employee - Outbound Sales Representative in Leawood, KS
    Current Employee - Outbound Sales Representative in Leawood, KS

I have been working at California Casualty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was immediately attracted to California for their long history and their reputation in the insurance industry. California Casualty has been around for over 100 years and it's not just a coincidence that they have such a solid reputation to the members they insure. They are family owned business and values work-life balance.

From a personal perspective, I have the ability to work out in the morning or spend time with my family earlier in the day before going into work. This has greatly helped my family and I am very thankful that my schedule allows me to do this.

From a sales representative perspective, you have so many resources and tools to your disposal to be successful. They have comprehensive training so that once completed you can run with the bulls and immediately start selling.

There are plenty of leads assigned to you and there are enough that there are no issues when it comes to "not having enough".

Management is great, they give you plenty of room for you to succeed but will always be available to offer any training you need. You have one manager who is very technical and very detailed about specific requirements needed if you are stuck with a specific client. On the other hand, you have the newest manager who has been in the field for over 15 years and brings a totally different perspective when it comes to how the members view California Casualty and what is the best way to approach each individual lead to be successful. Both manager's compliment each other and ultimately are there for us to succeed.

I was 1 of 4 lucky to be selected and our class immediately became very close. Iron sharpens iron and that has been our mentality. In our first year alone we are bringing some serious numbers to the KC office.

To be successful here you need to be coachable, have goals, put the time in and consistently strive to be better. If you played sports in college or have the ability to really understand how California Casualty can be a solution to each member's unique situation, you will be successful as a sales rep.

Cons

The only con would be the small adjustment to the work hours in order to be successful. Some of the best business you can write or sell is on the West Coast.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open to feedback from the sales reps and work with each rep!

Nov 7, 2018 – Vice President, Sales Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are thrilled that you have had a great start to your career with California Casualty! The company values each employee and understands... More

2. "No employee appreciation AT ALL"

I have been working at California Casualty full-time

Pros

The only pro for this company is the people I have worked with. They’re all great people.

Cons

Management is so poor that it has driven away great assets and people to leave.

Advice to Management

My advice is don’t drive loyal people away. In my department we are so micro managed, under appreciated, and under valued. I am truly disappointed in CalCas and do not want my last straw to be leaving but everyone has a limit.

California Casualty Response

Nov 9, 2018 – Assistant Vice President, Talent Acquisition Mgr & Sr. HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review; I am disappointed to read how you are currently feeling as an employee here. California Casualty does value all employees and recognizes that each... More

3. "Claims adjuster"

I worked at California Casualty full-time

Pros

Salary....and the employees were great.

Cons

Zero job stability. Investigation and BI....worst work load I've ever seen.

Advice to Management

I feel sorry for the owner. It's well known that the Arizona branch lies and covers the working conditions and employee moral up. Mr. Brown.....your blind.

Nov 15, 2018 – Claims Manager

We are pleased to see that you were satisfied with your salary and fellow co-workers. However, we are disappointed to receive this feedback about your workload. The workload of a claims department is... More

4. "Adjuster"

I worked at California Casualty full-time

Pros

Good training and resources, great people.

Cons

Little to no flexibility with your schedule.

Oct 16, 2018 – Claims Manager

Thank you for your comments regarding the training, resources and great people at California Casualty. Our company employs talented people who are committed to delivering on our core value of... More

"Great company, great CEO, bad frontline management."

Pros

Pay is decent for the industry. Great mission statement. Love the opportunity to assist American heroes in making financial decisions.

Cons

Management creates a terribly stressful work environment. Management has no trust in employees. Constantly listening in on phone calls or sitting directly behind you in your cubicle breathing down your neck while talking to customers. How is this conducive to success? Let the sales reps thrive by trusting them. If underwriting doesn’t have time to process your applications for the month, you simply don’t get paid for them and will get “written up” for not hitting your goal, even if you sold enough policies. Corporate is disconnected from the reality of how this office operates. Constantly having to hire new employees yet can’t seem to figure out why.

Advice to Management

Management needs replaced with more experienced managers. Management in KS office (except for the newest manager) has no business being a manager. Find LEADERS for this office rather than micro-managers.

Aug 3, 2018 – Vice President, Sales Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We wish you had a more positive experience during your time with our company. We strive to create a fun, professional office environment for our employees to work in... More

"Great Opportunity if you're Disciplined and like to be Micromanaged!"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Leawood, KS
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Leawood, KS

I have been working at California Casualty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, pay, and commission are competitive compared to industry standards and great coworkers. Stay disciplined and on the phones and you'll make lots of $$!

Cons

Worst micromanaging I've ever experienced. If I didn't make money here, I would have left a long time ago. Management is constantly monitoring your calls, writing you up for the tiniest of infractions, and anytime someone from another department sends you an email, they copy your manager on the email. Zero trust between management and sales reps. I understand if someone is a new hire and needs help but after you've been here for several years, the managers still sit in your cubicle with you and listen/critique calls. I imagine this is why the outbound sales dept has such poor attrition.

Advice to Management

Try and create an atmosphere where the employee feels trusted and instead of playing policemen and issuing write ups, try and support your employees' success through positive feedback and encouragement. Also, hire managers that are familiar with sales and underwriting. Our manager has worked at the company for 20+ years but only has a couple years experience in sales/underwriting guidelines so he can never answer any of our questions. Very nice guy but he always just laughs about not having the answers and refers us to the sales manager with experience. It's ironic.....when you genuinely need help, you can't get it..... but when you just want to make dials and sales, they are constantly looking over your shoulder.

Jul 20, 2018 – Vice President, Sales Manager

You are correct that with the right discipline and focus, sales can be a rewarding, lucrative career. There are many intricacies in the sales position since our customers are located in 42 states... More

"Lots of potential to be a great job but management is ruining everything"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Leawood, KS
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Leawood, KS

I worked at California Casualty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customers are great, product is great, benefits are wonderful, schedule is flexible, commissions/salary are fair, and CEO rocks!

Cons

I decided to resign and sell insurance elsewhere due to the way I was treated . I was tired of driving to work everyday and feeling sick to my stomach. There is really only one con in this company = management. 50% of the management in the outbound sales department are condescending, sarcastic, overbearing, and make you dread coming into work everyday. Just last week, everyone was told by managment that non-work related conversations were no longer allowed and you can longer be out of your desk area unless your discussing a work issue. I mean, come on!...sometimes you just want to ask how someone is doing and chat for a minute but apparently "we are paid to get sales and that's it". The office is now even more gloomy and negative due to this new mandate. Management is only in the office 50 percent of the time due to constant interviewing and meetings but when they are in the office, they micromanage to the extreme! Even the experienced reps get coached and listened to when they actually have more experience than the manager that's listening to them. You'll also get write-ups for the smallest mistakes and yes! ..they actually call them "write ups" , just like you got in high school. Everyone is in constant fear of losing their jobs and my coworkers talked about quitting everyday because they are so frustrated with the way things are and the way they get treated. There was a great group of mature people in the sales department and I hope they don't run everyone out out there but it doesn't look good for the remaining employees. I pray for the rest of my coworkers who are sticking it out.

Advice to Management

Treat your coworkers with respect and dignity and they will stick around.

Aug 1, 2018 – Vice President, Sales Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We do appreciate your acknowledgement that California Casualty offers an exceptional insurance product, flexible work environment, and a competitive salary and benefits... More

"Liability claims"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at California Casualty full-time

Pros

Money
    Nothing else. Horrible company.

Cons

Horrible training, unrealistic expectations, your coworkers work against you and they will make sure they note how bad of a job your supposedly doing in your files instead of helping and addressing the customers needs.

Advice to Management

Have on the job training for people who need to obtain their license.

Jul 20, 2018 – Claims Manager

Thank you for your feedback, it is important to us. The Claims department works very closely with our training partners to ensure that our adjusters are able to be productive and successful in the... More

9. "Actuarial Analyst"

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at California Casualty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employer cares about employee
    Recently moved to a new office

Cons

Small company so not too many opportunity for growth

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to try something new

California Casualty Response

Jun 5, 2018 – Assistant Vice President, Talent Acquisition Mgr & Sr. HR Business Partner

Thank you for your positive comments in regards to your time at California Casualty. It is valuable employees, such as yourself, that makes the company successful. Just last week, the San Mateo... More

10. "Great Organization!"

Pros

Positive culture and supportive team!

Cons

N/A - I enjoyed my time working for the organization.

Feb 12, 2018 – VP Total Compensation

Thank you for sharing your kind words regarding your time at California Casualty. We work hard to ensure a positive and supportive work environment for all our employees. Thank you for your... More