California Casualty Reviews

Updated Mar 5, 2020

3.7
California Casualty President and CEO  Joe Volponi
Joe Volponi
Pros
  • "They are family owned business and values work-life balance(in 11 reviews)

• "The work environment feels inclusive and optimistic(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "No cons so far, apart from internal problems within departments(in 7 reviews)

• "Small company, no room for upward mobility(in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Awesome Company"

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at California Casualty full-time for more than a year

Pros

The management is kind and considerate. They are always working to improve the communication between departments. The benefits and pay are very fair and it was nice to see that they reviewed their bonus structure while I worked there and made it more generous.

Cons

It is a call center and anyone who has ever worked in that role knows it can be taxing.

California Casualty2019-10-22

November 5, 2019Vice President, Sales Manager

Thank you for your kind words-Culture is very important to us and we try to model the California Casualty Code in all we do. Our employees are critical and having solid working relationships within our Enterprise ensures our success, as we are all working towards the same goals! We do review compensation annually, as well as our internal bonus structures and appreciate your acknowledgement of being placed well in the marketplace. We are open to new ideas and continue to look for ways to make this one of the best places to work. Thank you for all your contributions while you were here and wish you the best in your future! Sincerely, Lisa Pearne

2. "great company with great benefits"

Current Employee - Busineess Analyst in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at California Casualty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great working culture with adequate benefits.

Cons

No cons so far, apart from internal problems within departments

California Casualty2019-11-08

California Casualty Response

November 13, 2019Assistant Vice President, Talent Acquisition Mgr & Sr. HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts regarding California Casualty. We recognize that our success is dependent upon our talented employees, which is why our Leadership Development program includes an emphasis on coaching and developing employees. We want our employees to feel challenged, appreciated and engaged. We do have an open door policy, which means you can speak with your manager, your department manager, any other manager or Human Resources if you have any concerns. I recommend you reach out to discuss any issues you may be experiencing within departments. We want to hear from you. We appreciate the contributions that you have made to California Casualty and we wish you continued success!

3. "Go In With Open Eyes"

I worked at California Casualty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Affinity based property and casualty insurance company that works with law enforcement, firefighters, nurses and educators. Tries to live up to strong tradition of ethics and doing right by customers. Customer services is exceptional.

Cons

Recent changes have removed the "family" approach to employees and policy holders. Employees are judged by a spreadsheet and only for their value to the company. The management is looking at new "efficiencies" and revenue savings and that may affect salaries, bonuses, etc.

California Casualty2020-03-05
  4. "Great Company with good people"

Former Employee - Team Manager

I worked at California Casualty full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Solid compensation, 401k match and work hours (37.5 per week)

Cons

Some long tenured employees are low performers but are not managed out

California Casualty2019-11-06

California Casualty Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback regarding your time at California Casualty. As an organization, we recognize that our success is a result of our talented employees; therefore, we work hard to ensure that our compensation and benefits programs are competitive in the workplace. This is an area we keep a constant focus on throughout the year! We appreciate the contributions you made at California Casualty and wish you the best in your future endeavors.

"So Grateful To Be A Part of This Team"

Current Employee - Outbound Sales Representative in Leawood, KS

I have been working at California Casualty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, 37.5 hour work week, flexible schedule, the income potential is incredible, and the management team truly cares about each individual employee.

Cons

Any job you do will have its little stressors. This job is no different but the little stressors don’t even begin to outweigh all of the good here.

California Casualty2019-09-22

October 2, 2019Vice President, Sales Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide this kind feedback! We strive to create a positive culture where hard work is rewarded. I’m glad you recognize the earning potential and appreciate the flexibility that is offered as the organization understands the importance of work/life balance. We value our employees who make a difference for our group members on a daily basis! Your success is our success! We want nothing more than to see all of our representatives succeed and experience the rewards that this position offers within California Casualty. Your opinion is valued and we have an open door policy if ever have any suggestions. We wish you the best in your continued career with us and thank you for your contributions!

6. "RESPECT - Employees with company longevity should be treated with respect."

Former Employee - Marketing in San Mateo, CA

I worked at California Casualty full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Stabile, Hardworking, Committed and Loyal Long-Term Employees

Cons

Company Lacks Diversity and Transparency No Opportunities for Advancement No Work/Life Balance

California Casualty2019-09-12

September 30, 2019SVP Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. California Casualty takes great pride in the length of service of our employees – it is part of what makes us unique. We believe that this long tenure is a testament to how the company values and respects all of our employees. Our employee loyalty and smaller population is also one of the reasons why we have to think outside the box when it comes to all of our employee programs. For example, we have to go beyond the limited approach of traditional promotions to find other ways that our employees can grow their abilities and find satisfaction in their work. This focus on our unique employee demographic also means that we are always working to enhance our internal communications. We solicit suggestions for improvement from our employees, helping to enhance the annual all-employee events where senior executives share the successes and upcoming challenges our company faces. The employee feedback process has also driven changes to other aspects of our employee communication. We know that our employees are the key to our success and we are focused on addressing the whole employee lifecycle experience – from hiring to separation. We want our employees here for the long run and the proof that we are doing a lot of things right for them will be in continuing to maintain our outstanding employee longevity. We appreciate your contribution while with California Casualty and wish you the best in your endeavors.

7. "Good Company and Great Training"

4.0
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at California Casualty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really good company serving first responders, educators and nurses. The training was excellent and maybe the best in my career! H,R. Dept is excellent as well.

Cons

Pay structure is weak and needs to be strengthened. It is mostly minimum wage with some salary and no residual income.

California Casualty2019-07-31

August 5, 2019Sales Manager

Thank you for your feedback and acknowledging our valued group members, the “American Heroes” whom we serve. As an organization, we strive to provide our Sales Consultants the best start to their careers possible, and do value our training and agree our Human Resources Team is very effective and helpful. Creating an effective compensation structure in a sales department is always a challenge. We are constantly evaluating our compensation structure within Sales both internally and our competitiveness within the marketplace. Within the Inbound Sales position, we offer a higher base hourly wage with bonus potential, as compared to our Outbound position which has a lower base with a higher commission potential. Our Outbound Sales average compensation is currently well positioned in regards to income potential with the majority of our reps earning substantial success and income. We will continue to do our utmost to ensure the income potential for our Sales team members remains competitive and a positive motivator within our environment. We do appreciate the contributions you made while with our team and wish you only the best for your future endeavors.

8. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Kansas City, MO

I worked at California Casualty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great starting pay, in-classroom training, they take care of payment to get your adjuster license, studying time available in class, standard hours

Cons

It was a lot of work in claims, however management if you stay on top of your work.

California Casualty2019-07-23

August 9, 2019KSC Regional Claims Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your experience at California Casualty.

9. "Family Friendly"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at California Casualty full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people to work with, good pay and caring management. Everyone is kind and supportive, lots of potlucks, treats and luncheons. Management interacts well with employees.

Cons

There is no for advancement and everyone has the same job title and nearly the same pay. There is no separation from an employee who doesn't perform to an employee who over achieves in their position. The bonus plan is hard to achieve and goals are unrealistic on a long term basis. There is no flexibility in scheduling, no telecommuting, job sharing or part time schedules offered. There are no vacation trades or buy outs and getting time off is non existent if you don't plan your time six months in advance. If you use your accumulated and available sick time you are reprimanded and ostracized for it. Cost of benefits per month is high.

California Casualty2019-06-21

July 8, 2019Assistant Vice President, Service Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We also value our colleagues and culture here at California Casualty! Our employees are the foundation of the company’s success and we want them to have fun while delivering on our promises to our customers! You are correct, as a smaller organization promotional opportunities are more limited. If you are able to consider relocation, it can certainly open additional career opportunities outside the location you currently reside in. We believe that growth and development are important and we do look for ways to provide opportunities for employees that show interest to grow their knowledge by working on special projects, additional online course work, obtaining insurance designations, etc… There are rich opportunities to grow your insurance knowledge as well, whether you chose insurance, or it chose you. We believe each employee should make the most of those opportunities and be a lifelong learner, so I encourage you to reach out to your Manager and discuss your goal planning and development. Finding the right balance with an incentive plan can be tricky. It should be a stretch goal and attainable, but not so attainable that it is no longer a challenge. We are currently looking at our incentive plan with the goal of making it more inspiring, so stay tuned! As for vacation scheduling, that does require some pre-planning on the employee’s part. In order to service our customers, we need to have the appropriate amount of representatives on the phone at any given time. Often, multiple employees want the same time off and while we would like to be able to accommodate everyone, that can be challenging as we want to ensure that the hold times for our customers are not too high. We look at a variety of factors to make time off determinations and we also recognize that not every event can be preplanned. Our managers work hard to accommodate their employees’ requests and we strive to be fair to everyone. Our generous sick time policy is there to cover time off due to illness; however, we do have dependability guidelines in place for the flexibility of our employees and balancing the need to meet customer expectations. We try to be very clear up front of the expectations so that you can decide if we’re a fit for you. We do have an open door policy, and encourage you to reach out to your Manager, your department manager or to Human Resources for further discussion. We appreciate all your contributions to the organization and wish you continued success.

"Understaffed, Underpaid, and Overworked"

2.0
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at California Casualty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The coworkers are great because they all feel you like do. Its a casual environment. The CEO Beau Brown is the nicest guy you'll ever meet but he doesn't have anything to do with running the claims department.

Cons

You will be micromanaged on everything you do. The only way you will ever get caught up is if you work 50+ hours a week. Tenured employees take all the vacation time and early schedules so don't count on either of those. Systems are 20 years old and they refuse to update them. There is zero chance of a promotion to another role as there are 20 year employees still in the same position they were hired in.

California Casualty2019-06-03

June 18, 2019Regional Claims Manager

California Casualty works hard to ensure our Claims Department is properly staffed. The claims environment can be challenging and difficult to anticipate since accidents and catastrophes are not scheduled, which means the workloads can fluctuate from one week to the next. However, we recognize that our employees are the core to our success and the excellent training and guidance we offer allows our adjusters to succeed within a normal work week. The majority of our employees excel in the Claims Adjuster role without needing to work extra hours. Vacation bids for adjusters are governed on a first come, first serve basis and holiday requests take into account whether prior holidays were taken. Seniority plays a limited role in this process. competing requests for time off. California Casualty continues to attract talented employees because of its reputation as a first class employer. Opportunities are provided for continuous learning and promotions from within. Being an employer of choice is reinforced every day by the number of long term employees who choose to stay with the company, as well as our high customer retention rate that exceeds the industry average. We have an open door policy and strongly recommend that you reach out to your manager, your department manager or to Human Resources. We appreciate your feedback and your continuing contributions.

Found 114 reviews