California Casualty Reviews

Updated Mar 11, 2021

3.2
California Casualty President and CEO  Joe Volponi
Joe Volponi
Pros
  • "They are family owned business and values work-life balance(in 11 reviews)

• "Very Nice work environment and great way to get introduced in to the Insurance industry(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Small company so not too many opportunity for growth(in 7 reviews)

• "For a relatively smaller company, this can be a huge challenge and the updates sometimes seem to come rather slowly(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Love it

Oct 6, 2020 - Sales Support Agent
      Business Outlook

Pros

Comfortable environment to work in

Cons

There are no cons here

Assistant Vice President, Talent Acquisition Mgr & Sr. HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts about your time at California Casualty. We work hard to create a fun and safe work environment where employees feel they can contribute their best efforts. We appreciate all the contributions you are making to the success of the organization.

2. 4.0

Small Company

Mar 11, 2021 - Claims Adjuster in Glendale, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Small company, great employees. Good schedule

Cons

Workload is massive. Not a very diverse company

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Not what it use to be

Oct 7, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay, co-workers, location, 37.5 weekly hours

Cons

Upper management, resistant to change, no advancement

2 people found this review helpful

SVP Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. As an essential business we’ve been required to stay open and provide service to our customers, many of whom serve our communities every day. Even before the start of the pandemic, our concern has been how to do that and do what we can to protect our employee’s health. Unlike other companies that were featured in the media, we are in a highly regulated industry that impacted our ability to have employees work remotely. We continue to work through some technology issues but at the same time we have worked hard to create a safe environment for employees who work in our offices now and in the future. Many, if not most, of the management team at CCMC has been on the front lines at some point in their careers. Understanding what it takes to provide service to our incredible customers is one of the reasons the average length of service of our employees is so high and one of our proudest achievements. It indicates that employees understand our mission and are self-selecting to stay and help us reach our objectives. At the same time it’s always a challenge to balance service and growing our employees. We remain committed to continue working on innovative solutions to a problem most companies would be happy to have today. The same concern around how to grow our employees is why management has made a conscious decision to avoid passing all of the sky-rocketing increases on our medical benefits on to employees and their families. That’s why today the company pays more towards those costs than the average company. These are unprecedented times. As a company that has been in business for more than a century we will continue to work hard to make sure that our employees have a safe and healthy career with California Casualty.

4. 1.0

Customer Service Representative

Nov 13, 2020 - Customer Service Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Paycheck, benefits and fairly normal work hours.

Cons

Employees are pinned against each other and treated like crap, the executive even recently sent an email to all Employees telling them they do not care about what's going on in the world or what struggles we are going through as employeez. The executive indicated that we should get rid of any personal or teak goals, and focus only on happily pleasing the executives with their agenda and are invited to seek employment elsewhere if we want to be treated like a person and not a slave/robot. Excessive micromanagement exists here as well as favoritism. You are only as good as your numbers. You could be a star pupil for 4 months and have one medicine month and are now treated as though you are a bad employee. Terrible treatment of employees here.

SVP Human Resources

Our CEO’s message to our employees was that we respect everyone’s right to their own opinion. That we value diversity of thought despite outside influences that make it difficult to continue recognizing everyone has their own perspective. Taking this stand doesn’t mean we’re ignoring what’s going on in the world, just that we won’t put one individual’s opinion of what’s important ahead of any others. In this regard we are being consistent with our belief that we are all one team, that every employee in our company is expected to care about the company regardless of our personal differences. Because, at the end of the day, the company’s success is why we all still have jobs at a time when a lot of other companies have had to close their doors. Our front-line employees are one of the keys to keeping us in business and our whole executive team is well aware of that fact and why we will not force our personal ideologies on anyone. Not everyone agrees with our approach but the respect we have for and show to all of our employees will never change. We believe the long tenure of our employees is a testament that our model works because our employees continue to choose to stay with us.

5. 2.0

Below Average

Aug 22, 2020 - Customer Service Specialist in Glendale, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Compensation, Relaxed Dress code, Location

Cons

Micromanagement is a problem, nitpicking of phone calls, unrealistic sales goals. The atmosphere was good for awhile, but over the past year especially there is a strong toxic feeling throughout the company, especially since the new CEO took over. It is not uncommon to be in the breakroom and hear other employees come in and yell about how bad the changes the company is making. Small company so it will be near impossible to get time off if not planned far ahead. Not much room for advancement at this office. Recently the company has been struggling financially, and benefits are beginning to be cut as well as termination of employees.

Assistant Vice President, Service Manager

Thank you for sharing this feedback. 2020 has been an extraordinary year, with the largest software implementation in the company’s history…and then on top of that, along came an unprecedented pandemic. This year has certainly brought our fair share of change and challenges. The company remains strong and continues to move forward, confronting each challenge with the dedication and perseverance that California Casualty has been known for since our inception in 1914. As an organization, we remain financially stable. There are times we need to make business decisions to reduce expenses based on long term forecasts. As with most organizations, it is not uncommon and it is a part of doing business. With a great amount of change comes uncertainty and perhaps questions. The company welcomes questions and feedback from all employees at every level. Our open door policy means that employees are free to express their concerns through a variety of means - their manager, any other manager or to Human Resources. I do hope that during your time at California Casualty, you were able to take advantage of this important outlet. Every company has its own unique culture, mission and values. We take extra time and care in our interview process to help candidates evaluate if we are the right fit. The employee/employer relationship has to be mutually beneficial in order for it to be successful; it sounds like we may have been misaligned. I am sorry if you didn’t feel heard or appreciated. We do and will continue to embrace opportunities that place us as a top tier employer! We appreciate the contributions that you made to the company’s success and wish you the best in your next career endeavor.

6. 1.0
      Former Employee

Insurance

Dec 4, 2020 - Computer Programmer in Colorado Springs, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Easy work environment to be in.

Cons

Leadership lacks within the organization.

Assistant Vice President, Talent Acquisition Mgr & Sr. HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts. We work hard to create a work environment where employees feel valued and appreciated. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the work environment. California Casualty has an open door policy at all levels of the organization, which means you can talk to your manager, your department manager, any other manager or to Human Resources. We want to provide multiple outlets for employees to voice their concerns. I do hope you took advantage of that policy and spoke to management while you were within the California Casualty family. It takes everyone working together in order to be successful. We appreciate the contributions you made while with the company. We wish you the best in your professional endeavors.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Really enjoy this company and the people who surround me

Jun 21, 2020 - Field Marketing Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible time management, understanding that life situation pop up, very supportive, great communication.

Cons

We as FMM's don't get to see each other enough, but that's the life of working in the field.

Assistant Vice President, Talent Acquisition Mgr & Sr. HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts about working at California Casualty. A work/life balance is very important to us at California Casualty. We can’t take care of our customers, if we don’t take care of ourselves! We appreciate all your contributions to make the company the success that it is today.

8. 2.0

Micromanaging

Oct 9, 2020 - Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is Decent Holidays off Good benefits

Cons

no room for growth micromanagers Not flexible

Assistant Vice President, Talent Acquisition Mgr & Sr. HR Business Partner

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your thoughts. We pride ourselves on the long tenure of our employees and understand that sometimes that does limit opportunities for individuals to move throughout the organization. It is our goal to provide other ways for employees to enrich their positions within the organization and we welcome your feedback as well as encourage you to speak with your manager about your career development goals. This year has brought unprecedented challenges, affecting most individuals both personally and professionally. Everyone in the organization has had to be flexible and still remain committed to what we are here to do – protect American Heroes. I understand that in these difficult times, it can cause uncertainty. California Casualty has an open door policy because we truly want to hear from our employees – the good or the bad. I strongly encourage you to reach out to your manager, your department manager or to Human Resources for a discussion. It is only when you speak up that concerns can be discussed and addressed. We thank you for your contributions to the organization’s success!

9. 3.0

Go In With Open Eyes

Mar 5, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Affinity based property and casualty insurance company that works with law enforcement, firefighters, nurses and educators. Tries to live up to strong tradition of ethics and doing right by customers. Customer services is exceptional.

Cons

Recent changes have removed the "family" approach to employees and policy holders. Employees are judged by a spreadsheet and only for their value to the company. The management is looking at new "efficiencies" and revenue savings and that may affect salaries, bonuses, etc.

Assistant Vice President, Talent Acquisition Mgr & Sr. HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback. California Casualty’s ability to regularly adapt in a rapidly changing world has been instrumental to the company being in business for more than a century. We have to adjust so we can continue our mission of offering peace of mind to the individuals who are vital to the well-being of our communities. What has and what will remain constant is our commitment to providing our employees with an environment that is supportive of those who work incredibly hard to achieve our objective. We know that without our remarkable employees we cannot provide our customers with the very the best. We thank you for all your past contributions to our important mission.

10. 5.0

Awesome Company

Oct 21, 2019 - Inbound Sales Representative in Colorado Springs, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

The management is kind and considerate. They are always working to improve the communication between departments. The benefits and pay are very fair and it was nice to see that they reviewed their bonus structure while I worked there and made it more generous.

Cons

It is a call center and anyone who has ever worked in that role knows it can be taxing.

Vice President, Sales Manager

Thank you for your kind words-Culture is very important to us and we try to model the California Casualty Code in all we do. Our employees are critical and having solid working relationships within our Enterprise ensures our success, as we are all working towards the same goals! We do review compensation annually, as well as our internal bonus structures and appreciate your acknowledgement of being placed well in the marketplace. We are open to new ideas and continue to look for ways to make this one of the best places to work. Thank you for all your contributions while you were here and wish you the best in your future! Sincerely, Lisa Pearne

Viewing 1 - 10 of 122 Reviews