California Closets Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
California Closets President & CEO Bill Barton
Bill Barton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great opportunities to design and sell a great product" (in 8 reviews)

• "This job allows for a flexible schedule, but you need to make yourself available at night and on weekends" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "The room for advancement is not that good" (in 3 reviews)

• "Work/Life balance isn't a priority" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Designer"

Current Employee - Designer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Designer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at California Closets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work in the Orlando location as a Designer and it's been great! All the other designers were great in the training/ assistance process as well as management. This job allows creative freedom and a very flexible schedule with unlimited days off. You choose when you are available and when you can take appointments.

Cons

100% commission is hard sometimes. Even if the bonuses were more competitive with other similarly structured sales positions that would be more enticing. Top writers for the month are given monthly bonuses as small as $25 which is nothing compared to the business brought in. To keep up with a competitive sales position , there should be much higher payouts on bonus levels and also compensation for travel since we are 100% commission.

Advice to Management

Invest a little more into bonuses for the sales team so they feel more motivated to reach higher goals every month.

"Decent and laid back job"

Current Employee - Customer Liaison in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Liaison in Phila, PA

I have been working at California Closets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work alone
    no management breathing down your back
    downtime to get other things done
    everyone is friendly for the most part

Cons

no room for advancement or getting raises

Advice to Management

I can't think of anything at the moment

"Worst Company Ever!"

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Pottstown, PA
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Pottstown, PA

I worked at California Closets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros to speak of.

Cons

If you want a company where the management is incompetent, then this is the company for you. I worked for this job for just over 4 years. I can honestly say it was the worst time in my life. Job performance means nothing. While I was the production supervisor, the production department had a 99% success rating. However, we were constantly taken for granted. We worked a ton of hours and jobs were overbooked and scheduled in a way that made the everyday shop life a horror. There was never any recognition for all the time and effort we put in. No jobs were measured right or planned right which made cutting and getting the jobs ready for install and impossibility. When you spoke of problems to the management, they just swept it under the rug and would not take any action to solve them. The management would get into your personal life. One former employee did not get a raise for breaking his leg outside of work and not wishing to tell management how he broke it outside of work. A few current employees are told who they can and cannot talk to outside of work because the management does not like a former employee that those employees are still friends with. One employee was fired for what he told management after hours. The management expects respect but is unwilling to give it. One time an employee, while driving a company vehicle, got a ticket for the registration. The owner wanted that employee to pay for it. There is favoritism here. If you are not a designer you are treated like you do not matter. There is no ownership for anything. All people know how to do is pass the blame. If you try to make the company better, they crucify you for it. Do not work here. You'll regret it. Believe me, I wasted 4 years of my life here. I worked overtime and made sure everything always got done. I gave the company a year notice. Nothing I did was appreciated. This company is not worth your time.

Advice to Management

You should not own a business. You know nothing about how to treat employees or how to problem solve. It's no surprise while all your former employees dislike you.

4. "Great Opportunities"

I have been working at California Closets part-time

Pros

Great opportunities to design and sell a great product. If you are driven you will do great and have potential to make good money.

Cons

No base salary can be challenging when starting out.

"Worst Company I've ever worked for....STAY AWAY"

I have been working at California Closets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Looks great from the outside perspective but the fakest company I've ever seen!! If you want to fraud people this is the company for you. They act nice but are evil people.

Cons

Horrible company. Horrible morals and values. Marks up jobs in order to give a discount. Fakest people I've ever met in my life. RUN RUN RUN as far away from this company as you can if you are about to work here or are going to work with them. Go to any other closet company BUT THEM!! You will thank me later. Just look at reviews on Yelp!

"From Great to Good"

I have been working at California Closets full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Higher starting pay rate
    Not a lot of turn over
    Business is growing
    It is a pro if you work for a privately owned franchise vs one of their corporate owned sores.
    Provide benefits and 401K (corporate owned stores)
    Creative company

Cons

For franchises that have turned into corporate owned stores, they have cut positions, let employees go that have worked for the company for many years.
    The medical benefits have changed , rates have gone up for less coverage. Management staff has been cut down and more work load placed on individuals shoulders. Employees do not feel valued nor excited. This was once a very exciting company to work for that made their employees feel valued which in place made you want to go above and beyond. There seems to be new changes to process and procedure constantly.

Advice to Management

Stop adding so many new corporate positions, go back to valuing your employees and getting them involved and exited about the company. Get procedures in place that work and stop changing them constantly. Give bonus's to work towards again and better raises. Have more respect for those employees who have worked for the company 5+ years. Having titles taken away or being let go to meet the new structure is very disappointing. Read the book "From good to Great".

"Credo what Credo"

I worked at California Closets full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There really are no pros to say that any executive works more then 20 hours a week is a joke they are never in the office. On the other hand if you make 17$ an hour you pull 60 plus hours designers are expected to be available 24/7. It’s a joke all the way around they do not value there staff one bit and management talks bad about everyone .

Cons

The morals of this company or lack there of! This is by far one of the worst company’s I have ever worked for, can you say they tell you what you want to hear to get you hired then do everything they can to make sure you take Home as little of your commission as you can. No job goes in flawless bad Business practices of marking up clients jobs just so they can show a discount.
    It’s a toxic working environment and it looks to be getting worse. If you want to feel like a number and not valued this might be the job for you!!!
    First-service should revaluate how this company is being operated because it’s ran like a mom and pop it’s surprising they haven’t been sued and had an employees class-action lawsuit over poor working environments. been absolutely pathetic. This company throughs outthrow so many obstacles it's amazing that any location hits the targets they set.
    All employees are just a number the pay sucks hours are long and the idea for appreciation is candy and coffee!

Advice to Management

Change your corporate employees they are toxic

8. "Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Office Administrator in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Office Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at California Closets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team. Lots of support and help. Great pay. Small business environment

Cons

No room for a raise. There is no where to go. You are stuck in the same postion

9. "Worked great with my schedule"

I worked at California Closets part-time

Pros

Worked around my school schedule well

Great atmosphere

Cons

At times, the days felt monotonous

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

10. "Lead Coordinator"

I have been working at California Closets part-time

Pros

great coworkers that are helpful with training and daily tasks. Friendly, and patient managers. Very organized and well structured company.

Cons

None to make !

Advice to Management

keep doing what youre doing