California Closets Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
California Closets President & CEO Bill Barton
Bill Barton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great opportunities to design and sell a great product (in 8 reviews)

• This job allows for a flexible schedule, but you need to make yourself available at night and on weekends (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance isn't a priority (in 3 reviews)

• Long hours, minimal compensation for using own vehicle (in 4 reviews)

1. "Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Office Administrator in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Office Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at California Closets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team. Lots of support and help. Great pay. Small business environment

Cons

No room for a raise. There is no where to go. You are stuck in the same postion

2. "Great Opportunities"

I have been working at California Closets part-time

Pros

Great opportunities to design and sell a great product. If you are driven you will do great and have potential to make good money.

Cons

No base salary can be challenging when starting out.

3. "Worst Company I've ever worked for....STAY AWAY"

I have been working at California Closets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Looks great from the outside perspective but the fakest company I've ever seen!! If you want to fraud people this is the company for you. They act nice but are evil people.

Cons

Horrible company. Horrible morals and values. Marks up jobs in order to give a discount. Fakest people I've ever met in my life. RUN RUN RUN as far away from this company as you can if you are about to work here or are going to work with them. Go to any other closet company BUT THEM!! You will thank me later. Just look at reviews on Yelp!

"From Great to Good"

I have been working at California Closets full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Higher starting pay rate
    Not a lot of turn over
    Business is growing
    It is a pro if you work for a privately owned franchise vs one of their corporate owned sores.
    Provide benefits and 401K (corporate owned stores)
    Creative company

Cons

For franchises that have turned into corporate owned stores, they have cut positions, let employees go that have worked for the company for many years.
    The medical benefits have changed , rates have gone up for less coverage. Management staff has been cut down and more work load placed on individuals shoulders. Employees do not feel valued nor excited. This was once a very exciting company to work for that made their employees feel valued which in place made you want to go above and beyond. There seems to be new changes to process and procedure constantly.

Advice to Management

Stop adding so many new corporate positions, go back to valuing your employees and getting them involved and exited about the company. Get procedures in place that work and stop changing them constantly. Give bonus's to work towards again and better raises. Have more respect for those employees who have worked for the company 5+ years. Having titles taken away or being let go to meet the new structure is very disappointing. Read the book "From good to Great".

"Credo what Credo"

I worked at California Closets full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There really are no pros to say that any executive works more then 20 hours a week is a joke they are never in the office. On the other hand if you make 17$ an hour you pull 60 plus hours designers are expected to be available 24/7. It’s a joke all the way around they do not value there staff one bit and management talks bad about everyone .

Cons

The morals of this company or lack there of! This is by far one of the worst company’s I have ever worked for, can you say they tell you what you want to hear to get you hired then do everything they can to make sure you take Home as little of your commission as you can. No job goes in flawless bad Business practices of marking up clients jobs just so they can show a discount.
    It’s a toxic working environment and it looks to be getting worse. If you want to feel like a number and not valued this might be the job for you!!!
    First-service should revaluate how this company is being operated because it’s ran like a mom and pop it’s surprising they haven’t been sued and had an employees class-action lawsuit over poor working environments. been absolutely pathetic. This company throughs outthrow so many obstacles it's amazing that any location hits the targets they set.
    All employees are just a number the pay sucks hours are long and the idea for appreciation is candy and coffee!

Advice to Management

Change your corporate employees they are toxic

6. "Worked great with my schedule"

I worked at California Closets part-time

Pros

Worked around my school schedule well

Great atmosphere

Cons

At times, the days felt monotonous

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

7. "Lead Coordinator"

I have been working at California Closets part-time

Pros

great coworkers that are helpful with training and daily tasks. Friendly, and patient managers. Very organized and well structured company.

Cons

None to make !

Advice to Management

keep doing what youre doing

"Installer"

Former Employee - Installer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Installer in Austin, TX

I worked at California Closets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at the Texas Hill Country franchise, and they bought your power tools and provided a truck and gas card.
    Training pay was hourly with overtime pay, I was fortunate to be paired with an Installer awaiting promotion, who had already transitioned back to hourly pay.... I banked.
    Major pro for me, personally, was getting those checks knowing people were hating so hard.

Cons

I didn't particularly fit in, so I was pushed out.
    Coming from a construction background I feel this shop is mostly underqualified. Most installers weren't carpenters prior to working here, and because installers work on commission and want to get it done and run, they do a terrible job in training. The production line was also poorly trained, resulting in lots of incomplete jobs and those unpaid "go-backs".
    The woman who was in charge of us installers gave out jobs based on favorites, sent long winded and passively threatening group texts - and usually did so in the late evenings.
    Many of the people involved with the process of developing and editing prints, were in experienced resulting in lots of "go-backs", alterations, frantic texts from said boss, and more of a headache than you would get if you worked with people who were experienced/qualified.
    As an installer, you are the last in line to handle the job before its complete. When you're dealing with this level of incompetence, there's a lot that falls into your lap, and unfortunately your pay is affected by other's mistakes.

Advice to Management

Close this franchise or replace 80% of your staff with competent, and qualified employees.

9. "Receptionist"

I worked at California Closets part-time

Pros

Everyone was very friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

No room for upward movement.

"Poor culture and lots of politics; a mix of some good people and some really bad ideas"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at California Closets full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reasonable salary and benefits. Convenient location.

Cons

I've worked at both the franchise level and corporate office for about 6 years so I have experience on both sides. My biggest issues are with the corporate culture and attitude towards staff. Simply put, it's a company who claims they are something they are not - both internally and externally.

California Closets has an internal "Credo" which supposedly outlines the values the company has and the values they want their employees to share. They are just feel-good words, and not demonstrated or actually lived by the staff.

While some management staff are great, others, such as in the Marketing department, are intolerant of input (or even conversation) and live in their own world. The California Closets advertising, in particular, is very embarrassing to me and does not reflect the actual customer experience or the quality of the products actually delivered on any level (check the Yelp ratings). Five or more years ago their advertising was far better; more down-to-earth and reflective of their products and brand. Now...well it's so far off base it's an embarrassment.

Installers and shop workers are very hard-working, and many of the current sales staff are great. There are some very talented corporate staff here and many others who do a great job at the franchise level. Sadly, many of the hardest working people in the business are the installers and corporate looks down on them like they are fast-food workers.

Advice to Management

California Closets is not an "elite" brand or one that can do things most other closet companies cannot. Realize that the advertising and culture here are a sham and get back to the roots. Drop the phony, embarrassing advertising and get back to basics, like it used to be. California Closets is pretty good at building closets but don't pretend you're something that you're not.