California College San Diego Reviews | Glassdoor

Eric Juhlin

"One man show"

Former Employee - Associate Dean in San Diego, CA

I worked at California College San Diego full-time for less than a year

Pros

Love to teach and share knowledge

Cons

Must satisfy the Ego of the Man in charge

Advice to Management

Respect students and employees values and do not force your values.

California College San Diego2019-08-29
  2. "CCSD IT Support Specialist"

Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at California College San Diego part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment Employees that help you learn and grow

Cons

There are a lot of slow days IT Support Specialist does not do in house repairs

California College San Diego2019-07-09
  3. "Adjunct Opportunity"

Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at California College San Diego full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, and friendly staff. You feel well supported.

Cons

Lots of governmental restrictions and metrics from accreditors which cause constant change.

California College San Diego2019-06-26
  4. "California College San Diego"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in San Diego, CA

I have been working at California College San Diego part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Rewarding work if you made genuine connections with students and watch them succeed academically.

Cons

The college is currently on academic probation but working diligently with accreditors.

Advice to Management

Hold on to faculty that cares about students.

California College San Diego2019-05-28
  5. "Violating Labor Laws"

Current Employee - Instructor in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great teachers! The teachers have strong educational backgrounds and care very much for the students. There are good leaders within the system.

Cons

Violating labor laws by insisting that a class can be prepared for in the time they allow for it and penalizing instructors who put that time on their time card instead of doing it on their own time.

Advice to Management

Be careful, this is happening at all for-profit/non-profit private schools. All it takes is a number of employees documenting their work activities and there could be a labor law case or a class action. Pay teachers what they are worth.

California College San Diego2019-04-18
  6. "Great place to start but corporate needs to straighten things out"

Former Employee - Career Advisor

I worked at California College San Diego full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place to start to learn about education if you want to work in high education, allows you to start later in the day and set your own schedule as long as it's within reason so you can save your PTO and sick days for appointments and what not. Employee perk of receiving a free degree is very beneficial.

Cons

Corporate is their own enemy by creating massive confusion. No set guideline of rules that change on a monthly basis for every department. Pay could also use a bit of a bump considering that the other nearby career schools pay more for the position than CCSD.

Advice to Management

While the campus director I would gladly work for any day, my advice to upper management is to put together a strict set of guidelines that employees can follow that they can depend on that wont change in a month.

California College San Diego2019-03-11
  7. "Average"

Former Employee - Career Counselor in San Diego, CA

I worked at California College San Diego full-time for more than a year

Pros

Small school with the ability to make change. You get what you put in with this employer.

Cons

Doesn't pay well compared to other school. Can be disorganized with little assistance from the campus employees. Not very team oriented

Advice to Management

Be more involved. Try to stop playing catch up

California College San Diego2019-02-06
  8. "Back end web developer"

Current Employee - Back End Web Developer in San Marcos, CA

I have been working at California College San Diego part-time for less than a year

Pros

laid back great work environment

Cons

no enough to do in the day

California College San Diego2018-09-04

"Bad Upper Management and High Turn-Over"

I worked at California College San Diego full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It was a good opportunity for me to gain experience and education. Most of the staff and faculty were friendly and worked well together. Relationship with students and education department was strong.

Cons

The upper management does not care about the students or the staff, it is all about the money. Everyone is dispensable for the bottom line. When I left morale was very low and many people were looking for other options. Is considered a non-profit, but runs as a for-profit.

Advice to Management

Get rid of upper management. Too old to be in the position to help create a positive work environment and be innovative. Think of the students and how to create an environment for them to be successful. Let employers have input on how to create a better environment.

California College San Diego2017-12-27
  10. "Higher pay = lower values"

Former Employee - Enrollment Services Advisor in National City, CA

I worked at California College San Diego full-time for less than a year

Pros

Clean building and good location (not much traffic). The pay was more than other schools I have worked for.

Cons

Work hours are not fixed on a weekly basis. Some liked this but for me I dont like having to start work as late as 11am and finishing at 8PM some days and than 8-5pm on other days. M-F I was expected to be available from 8am-8PM.. Even though this is not a salary job. For some people they my like the flexible schedule This is a for profit vocational school with very high exceptions on advisors to enroll students... using using financial aid. There are cases when this is a great thing for students. But we are required to enroll 25% of the people that walk in the door, doesn't matter their situations.

Advice to Management

Even though I met the expectations. I expressed to management that I will help as many students as possible, and not concerned about their numbers. I was reprimanded for expressing myself. The feeling I walked away meetings with was the view that the students are only numbers not people. Advice is to give leadership training with admissions directors.

California College San Diego2017-11-03