California College of the Arts Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
California College of the Arts President Stephen Beal
Stephen Beal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They are always helping international students to get work study and they are available to answer to your questions when you need them (in 5 reviews)

• Interesting and inspiring environment to work in (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • As a non-profit, really low pay (in 6 reviews)

• Faculty are not paid well and their concerns are not considered when upper management & admin execute new policies (in 3 reviews)

1. "Teacher's Assistant (TA)"

I worked at California College of the Arts part-time

Pros

This position actually paid pretty well compared to other workstudy jobs at CCA.

Cons

They stopped allowing grad level TAs, so you'll have to put in at least 6 hours a week instead of 3.

Advice to Management

None

2. "Short review"

I have been working at California College of the Arts part-time

Pros

Collegial atmosphere, strong peer to peer communication.

Cons

Increasing lack of transparency and limited top down information flow.

3. "Adjunct Faculty"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at California College of the Arts part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with dedicated colleagues and creative design design leaders.

Cons

Loosely linked system with lots of part-time adjunct faculty.

4. "Facilities Technician"

I worked at California College of the Arts full-time

Pros

Great people, great students, pretty good organization. The pay was on par with what one would expect for the Bay Area. Great benefits.

Cons

Perhaps more attention and funding should be payed towards deferred maintenance.

Advice to Management

See Cons above.

"Former employee"

Former Employee - Financial Aid Counselor
    Former Employee - Financial Aid Counselor

I worked at California College of the Arts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All in all, the college provides a supportive environment for students to pursue their art, and responds effectively when students are struggling. The college community fosters and encourages creativity and many of the staff are great to work with.

Cons

I left a job in another state where I worked for 5 years to take the job at CCA. The pay for the Bay area is obscenely low, especially considering that they practically demand staff has an advanced degree. (My director at the time said that I was unpromotable due to my lack of a Master's.) While the school boasts inclusion and diversity, I found that personal prejudices often interfered with management's view of employee development. I often felt singled out or unsupported by my supervisor. I ended up leaving because, although my director emphasized the necessity of an advanced degree, CCA does not offer tuition assistance/remission for graduate programs. This, combined with the low pay and lack of supportive leadership, was more important to me than working with colleagues I genuinely liked in an artistic environment. I can also echo the corporate feeling of the school as a whole. All in all, I don't think it's a terrible place to work if you need some experience, but it's definitely not a destination.

Advice to Management

Pay employees fairly considering the market in SF/Oakland. Your employees should be able to rent an apartment without 3 roommates or a second job. Reinstate tuition benefits for employees pursuing graduate degrees. Promote management that understands the softer side of leadership rather than numbers, data, and profits.

6. "Financial Aid Counselor"

I worked at California College of the Arts full-time

Pros

-Unlike many Financial Aid offices, there is not work taken home. It is 8am-4:30pm.
    -I like my coworkers.
    -The department is supportive.
    -Paperless system.
    -Job security.

Cons

-Reclassified position from salary to hourly and it is not consistent in number of days paid.
    -No overtime for this department.
    -Lots of self training.
    -If you are parking, it is difficult to find after 8am and you have to move your car every 4 hours. A mile from BART station (Civic or 16th). Most people walk which adds to the commute. No transportation benefits other than standard pre-tax.
    -CCA in general is restructuring so there is a lot of instability and very high turnover. This causes a lot of confusion to processes and sustainability. They are not transparent about who is leaving, when, which departments, etc. People just disappear.
    -Most staff and faculty are not paid well enough to survive in the Bay Area. HR says they are working on a salary study, but I think it has been postponed.
    -CCA is closing their Oakland campus in the next few years and SF has a higher cost of living.
    -The CCA campuses have very different cultures. There is a lot of tiptoeing around on the SF campus about what you can and cannot express.

Advice to Management

-Salaries need to be livable in the Bay Area
    -There needs to be stronger leadership where staff and faculty are actual people and not treated as disposable at any given time.

7. "Great People, Questionable Leadership"

I worked at California College of the Arts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best part of working at this school is the community of staff, faculty, and students. CCA brings in hardworking and dedicated employees intent on fully realizing the student experience. My colleagues were amazing, the students I interacted with were stellar, the faculty are craft-focused and adore working with students.

Cons

Policies got stricter, mandates were more frequent, and it became clearer that upper-management were more focused on speaking big ideas rather than how the school functioned daily, monthly, or annually. In my experience, mid-level management were stripped of authority to make effective decisions leaving those of us "on the ground" on a tighter and tighter leash.

Advice to Management

Realize the talent and experience you have in the people that already work for you. Foster that talent, professionalize those individuals - they care more about the school than those interested in building a legacy or sitting on their laurels.

8. "CCA CCA Film Cage News Crew"

I worked at California College of the Arts part-time

Pros

Fun, and a great chance to work with other students.

Cons

hours you can work in the Film Cage News Crew per week are limited.

"Program Manager"

I worked at California College of the Arts full-time

Pros

Great community of workers, everyone is so nice.

Cons

Not paid enough for the work done.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the Program Managers and how much they are responsible for.

10. "Staff"

I have been working at California College of the Arts full-time

Pros

-great hours (8:00am to 4:30pm with an hour lunch)
    -thorough training, transparency in processes
    -supportive staff/coworkers

Cons

-little room for growth
    -low pay
    -high turnover rate