California College of the Arts Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
California College of the Arts President Stephen Beal
Stephen Beal

Pros
  • Interesting and inspiring environment to work in (in 3 reviews)

• Great people, wonderful mission, exciting events (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay for a student job but not sure there was any option for more (in 4 reviews)

• There is little to no support for professional development, unless it's free and you can do it on your own time (in 3 reviews)

1. "Workstudy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at California College of the Arts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment. It is really fun to help students and staff. Studio offices are very organized.

Cons

Workstudy students are hired by a semester bases. So if your class schedule conflicts with any shift availabilitys, you will be let go.

Advice to Management

If someone is going to cover another employees shift, it is a good idea to train the employee who is covering the shift on how to do the other employee's tasks

2. "Residential Assistent"

Current Employee - Residential Advisor in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Residential Advisor in Oakland, CA

I have been working at California College of the Arts part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Housing
    Good coworkers
    Most work at night

Cons

Ridiculous Hours, ranging anywhere from 40-100+ hours per week on call in some buildings
    Unfair wages, compensation for the entire year is roughly 9k
    Passive Aggressive Behavior- This department is not afraid to let you know that you're disposable and better behave.

Advice to Management

Start treating your staff like actual human beings. We're out here busting our neck trying to give a safe and happy experience to our residents, and you make it known at every corner that you do not care about us or our needs, only about working us to death.

3. "Lab monitar"

Former Employee - Lab Monitor in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Lab Monitor in Oakland, CA

Pros

super chill and flex as a student

Cons

I cant think of anything

5. "Pretty Chill..."

Former Employee - Founder's Office Assistant
    Former Employee - Founder's Office Assistant

I worked at California College of the Arts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked as a Lab Monitor for the Animation Department
    -Boss was chill and understanding that we were workstudies with school schedules
    -Transferable skills

Cons

Most of my cons are intertwined with being a student

"A good but not very diverse school that neglects its Adjunct Professors."

I worked at California College of the Arts (More than 8 years)

Pros

An excellent faculty of arts and design professionals and a tight support staff. CCA has a great local and national reputation and attracts good students, although in undergrad they mainly come for a design rather than fine arts education. CCA makes an good effort to give out many merit-based scholarships to low-income students nationally and with a concentration in the Bay Area.

Cons

The undergrad tuition is $45K/year and can attract students who have 'service-based' expectations of faculty. My department chair once told me to think of students as 'customers' and try to smile more and lighten-up my course content. Anonymous course evaluations can sometimes be written like scathing YELP reviews and have a lot of weight in determining a promotion or continuing employment. If you piss-off a student or if students feel your class is too challenging, you risk being fired.

Advice to Management

Adjunct Professors need to be paid a living wage and benefits that reflect their education, and professional experience. $6500 a per course a semester does not come close compensating faculties work with and for students in and outside of the classroom. What kind of message does this send to students about the standard of education they are paying for and their professional value once they graduate? The school also needs to face its lack of racial and gender diversity in both the faculty and student body.

7. "As art schools go it has a lot going for it."

Current Employee - Faculty
    Current Employee - Faculty

I have been working at California College of the Arts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Brilliant colleagues. Philosophical commitment to diversity. Not trapped in narrow art world or design career mindsets.

Cons

Tuition, work load, cost of living in SF, difficult to realize commitment to diversity.

Advice to Management

Be transparent. Reduce hierarchy. Resist biz dev mindset. Going in right direction.

8. "Contrary to Steve Jobs, they hire smart people & don't listen to them."

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at California College of the Arts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The amazing work that the students create. It's like getting paid to go to the movies every day of the year.

Cons

With very rare exception (Student Services) all communication stops at the VP level. They don't tell and when they ask, they don't listen to the answer. If they hear something they don't like, they spend a bunch of money to buy a contradictory opinion.

Advice to Management

Bridge the gap, listen to your talent.

9. "Interesting but difficult place to work"

Pros

Fantastic group of colleagues who are dedicated to teaching and the arts.

Cons

The college currently employs 78% unranked faculty (adjuncts/lecturers) and 22% Ranked faculty. Unranked faculty have formed a Union, but CCA Administration has been very resistant to any of the job security and other issues presented in contract negotiations and among the schools in the area with adjunct unions, CCA remains one of the only ones to still not have a ratified contract. The disproportionate employment of adjuncts to ranked faculty also puts more of a burden on ranked faculty for serving on committees, etc (although some unranked faculty do serve on committees too).

Advice to Management

In building a reputation for being a school that values diversity and social justice, it's imperative to treat those who have helped to build this reputation with fairness and respect

10. "Easy Work, Great Peers, Stupid School Bulsit"

Pros

Easy work, little over sight, no stress

Cons

school bureaucracy to the max

Advice to Management

keep ignoring reality

11. "wewrew"

Former Employee - Student in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Student in Oakland, CA

I worked at California College of the Arts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

cool helpful nice awesome stuff

Cons

teacher was late. wasnt really into it. felt rushed