California Department of General Services Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Superintendent/Foreman"

Former Employee - Foreman in Norwalk, CA
    Former Employee - Foreman in Norwalk, CA

I worked at California Department of General Services full-time

Pros

Working for the state paid holidays.

Cons

Poor management and no reasoning.

Advice to Management

N/A

2. "account payable"

Current Employee - Accountant in West Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in West Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Department of General Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good people, nice environment, opportunity to grow

Cons

feel kind hanging out with same people all the time

3. "State wage"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whittier, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whittier, CA

I worked at California Department of General Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money, flexibility , benefits and hands on training.

Cons

Your term is 8 months. Everyone gets rotated.

4. "I love where I work and the people I work with."

Current Employee - Staff Services Manager in West Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Services Manager in West Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Department of General Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great group of intelligent, forward -thinking people

Cons

The state on average pays less than private sector.

5. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Sacramento, CA

Pros

Inexpensive monthly parking on-site, telework opportunities, farmer's market weekly, waterfront walking trail, flexible work schedules

Cons

Cafeteria vendor (CalSTRS next door is WAY better), minimal safety security measures, micromanagement, limited food option nearby, hard to transition into management without managerial experience

Advice to Management

Be fair, honest and neutral

6. "AGPA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Department of General Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, parking available on site, good people to work with, and nice location.

Cons

Management lacks good communication with staff, assignments change too frequently so it is hard to maintain good customer service.

7. "OSP Makes All Other State Agencies Look & Feel Like The Taj Majal"

Former Employee - Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I worked at California Department of General Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have a job! Benefits! Vacation days!
    If this is your first state job, know one thing: It's always better elsewhere...anywhere.

Cons

Newish management has no idea about printing or the process at any step. Dealing with people who have been shuffled around for years. They do nothing about keeping up with technology in the "outside" world as they refer to the world. (On a side note: This is the most antiquated CA state building in the Sacramento vicinity; it;s interior is worse than any correctional facility with unidentified drive dup liquids on fabric cubicles circa 1970...we'll stop right there. And BOE thinks they have it bad?)

Advice to Management

Hire folks who have "outside" experience, who may be able to contribute and help get OSP up- to-- date. From the planners and lame copyholders and proofreaders - who can't even sbellll - to management in particular: Hire PROfessionals because you really do have some hard workers there who need a little guidance.

8. "Senior Structural Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Good environment, good benefit, not pressure,

Cons

not exciting, less pay, parking is bad, not challenge

Advice to Management

9. "If You Dont Know, Now you Know!!!!"

Current Employee - Analyst in West Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in West Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Department of General Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have a really cool supervisor. The job I do is really easy. There's a lot of work but its not challenging at all. Once your in the unit, you will not want to leave. I worked for a different Department before DGS and DGS is WAAAAY better. It makes it hard to leave. People are nice. Everyone is respectful and engaging with group activities. Pay is good. My unit is a fun group. The units are very helpful with each other for the most part. At least I try to help the new people as much as I can because I know how it feels to be new and not have any help. 90% of the things I know is because I read the manuals and did my own research to learn the process. I get along good with 98% of the people. I don't really get involved in the politics because I just want to go to work and JUST WORK. This is a pro because you don't get involved in some of the hype, which is very easy to do.

Cons

Not all managers are the same. Some managers have a BAD reputation not making easy to apply for a different unit to promote. I've seen some people not pass probation for STUPID reasons, because of management. In my heart I believe some managers hire only persons of "their" nationality. The proof is in the pudding and you don't even have to taste it. I applied to 10+ positions within DGS and didn't get an interview. I'm not the only one either. Its really hard to get hired from outside. If you get hired from outside, its because they didn't find anyone worth promoting within or they didn't want to hire them. I was SUPER lucky!!

10. "very political"

Former Employee - Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I worked at California Department of General Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

secure place to work especially if you don't like to work. If you don't mind not promoting you can still get annual raises and do absolutely nothing but show up.

Cons

hard to get promotions unless you smooz with the right people. Those promoted aren't necessarily even good workers.

Advice to Management

reward hard work