California Department of General Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 11, 2016

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Senior Structural Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Good environment, good benefit, not pressure,

Cons

not exciting, less pay, parking is bad, not challenge

2. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Sacramento, CA

Pros

Inexpensive monthly parking on-site, telework opportunities, farmer's market weekly, waterfront walking trail, flexible work schedules

Cons

Cafeteria vendor (CalSTRS next door is WAY better), minimal safety security measures, micromanagement, limited food option nearby, hard to transition into management without managerial experience

Advice to Management

Be fair, honest and neutral

3. "AGPA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Department of General Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, parking available on site, good people to work with, and nice location.

Cons

Management lacks good communication with staff, assignments change too frequently so it is hard to maintain good customer service.

5. "OSP Makes All Other State Agencies Look & Feel Like The Taj Majal"

Former Employee - Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I worked at California Department of General Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have a job! Benefits! Vacation days!
    If this is your first state job, know one thing: It's always better elsewhere...anywhere.

Cons

Newish management has no idea about printing or the process at any step. Dealing with people who have been shuffled around for years. They do nothing about keeping up with technology in the "outside" world as they refer to the world. (On a side note: This is the most antiquated CA state building in the Sacramento vicinity; it;s interior is worse than any correctional facility with unidentified drive dup liquids on fabric cubicles circa 1970...we'll stop right there. And BOE thinks they have it bad?)

Advice to Management

Hire folks who have "outside" experience, who may be able to contribute and help get OSP up- to-- date. From the planners and lame copyholders and proofreaders - who can't even sbellll - to management in particular: Hire PROfessionals because you really do have some hard workers there who need a little guidance.

6. "If You Dont Know, Now you Know!!!!"

Current Employee - Analyst in West Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in West Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Department of General Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have a really cool supervisor. The job I do is really easy. There's a lot of work but its not challenging at all. Once your in the unit, you will not want to leave. I worked for a different Department before DGS and DGS is WAAAAY better. It makes it hard to leave. People are nice. Everyone is respectful and engaging with group activities. Pay is good. My unit is a fun group. The units are very helpful with each other for the most part. At least I try to help the new people as much as I can because I know how it feels to be new and not have any help. 90% of the things I know is because I read the manuals and did my own research to learn the process. I get along good with 98% of the people. I don't really get involved in the politics because I just want to go to work and JUST WORK. This is a pro because you don't get involved in some of the hype, which is very easy to do.

Cons

Not all managers are the same. Some managers have a BAD reputation not making easy to apply for a different unit to promote. I've seen some people not pass probation for STUPID reasons, because of management. In my heart I believe some managers hire only persons of "their" nationality. The proof is in the pudding and you don't even have to taste it. I applied to 10+ positions within DGS and didn't get an interview. I'm not the only one either. Its really hard to get hired from outside. If you get hired from outside, its because they didn't find anyone worth promoting within or they didn't want to hire them. I was SUPER lucky!!

7. "very political"

Former Employee - Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I worked at California Department of General Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

secure place to work especially if you don't like to work. If you don't mind not promoting you can still get annual raises and do absolutely nothing but show up.

Cons

hard to get promotions unless you smooz with the right people. Those promoted aren't necessarily even good workers.

Advice to Management

reward hard work

8. "State of California journeyman electrician"

Current Contractor - Journeyman Electrician in Norwalk, CA
    Current Contractor - Journeyman Electrician in Norwalk, CA

I have been working at California Department of General Services as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent pay , and most of the people who work there are cool . You work 6 months on , then 6 months off

Cons

You must save your money because you only work six months out of the year . Sometimes there are a lot of politics involved in who gets to come back to work after the six months off.

Advice to Management

Don't really have any advice to management because it never pays to talk bad about any employer or former employer as you may not return

9. "A steady job in plan reviewing K through 14 School construction for seismic safety compliance"

Current Employee - Senior Structural Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Structural Engineer in Oakland, CA

Pros

Steady work that fits in lifestyle. Opportunity to ensure that school kids are safe in the event of an earthquake. Opportunity to work with many Architects and Strucutral Engineers to improve school construction.

Cons

Limited career options and subject to political pressures that run counter to good engineering judgment. Some disappointment with the marginal quality of work being reviewed and a lack of concern for quality design by the Architects and Engineers who submit their work on behalf of the School Districts. Construction technology is often slow to improve relative to commercial work Often tradition, policy, politics get in the way of better design and construction practices.

"Good place to work, if your working for State government."

Current Employee - Budget Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Budget Analyst in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Like many other departments in the State, the Department of General Services heavily populated with Boomers. This will eventually lead to a mass exodus in the coming years which gives ample opportunity for promotions. Due to its location in West Sacramento, the parking is about a third of what people pay in the heart of Downtown Sacramento. The office culture is good and management seems to care about its employees. The various offices within the department range from Telecommunications, Fleet and Legal. There are plenty of changes to move between different offices within the department and work in a field that is completely unrelated.

Cons

There are no distinct downsides to working for the Department.

Advice to Management

N/A