California Department of Health Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Jennifer Kent

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Auditor"

I have been working at California Department of Health Services full-time

Pros

You will learn various governmental accounting knowledge from hands-on experience. Nice people.

Cons

On the other hand, you need to motivate yourself.

2. "SSM 1"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Department of Health Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great training offered, nice people, good location downtown

Cons

Parking costs $120 per month unless take light rail, favoritism in some areas

Advice to Management

Treat all staff the same and have e

"Sub-Standard state government"

Pros

- strong training programs and leadership training opportunities
    - the East End location is an excellent location
    - flexible work schedule and telework is available

Cons

- untrained and poor management
    - extreme nepotism. People that are liked her promoted over knowledgeable people.

"DHCS is a Great Place to Work Overall"

Current Employee - Researcher in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Researcher in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Department of Health Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Organization has good mission and values.

Cons

Some disconnect between senior management and employees.

"Staff Service Analyst- Range C"

Current Employee - SSA in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - SSA in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Department of Health Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get a cubicle, do your work, they leave you alone.

Cons

They work you and work you unless you are on your 15 min break or your 30 min lunch

Advice to Management

Do more Employee morale boosters

"Cliques, Cliques, Cliques"

Former Employee - Personnel Specialist in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Personnel Specialist in Sacramento, CA

I worked at California Department of Health Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stability of a State job, benefits, no overtime

Cons

Low Salary, does not take into account previous private sector experience, antiquated systems, wants quantity not quality. I was told several times by staff and supervisors, "don't think, just do!" This is hard to do for someone with an MBA and 20 years of experience in jobs that allowed and praised me for thinking. If you don't fit in, they will nit pick and harass you into either a mental breakdown or resigning.

Advice to Management

The Department Chief needs to get a clue when supervisors have more than one person not pass probation within a year. Especially, if these are state employees who were successful in other positions previously. Another clue is that staff transfers the second they pass probation or that people get mysteriously ill and have to quit. Stop allowing managers who transfer from other departments to bring along their buddies to fill open positions instead of promoting from within the department.

"Should be called the Department of Political Correctness"

Former Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at California Department of Health Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They issued paychecks on time.

Cons

Those who produce are ignored. Those who create a hostile environment are ignored. Those who are unproductive and who make accusations about any of the endless forms of possible discrimination are immediately taken at their word and those they accuse are abruptly reassigned and ostracized. I've seen long, honorable, and distinguished careers ruined because of political correctness run amok here. I've seen productive and mature managers denied advancement and then witnessed young, fresh college graduates being promoted to upper management positions.

Jennifer Kent is terrific. But when her predecessor was featured embarrassingly on CNN, the Audits and Investigations Division was forever turned inside-out to ensure that would never happen again. Our entire focus was then to protect her from ever suffering public embarrassment. It tortured our division until no one knew which way was us up. What a horror.

Advice to Management

Whatever you do, don't call yourselves public servants.

"AGPA"

Current Employee - AGPA in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - AGPA in Sacramento, CA

Pros

You are nearly un-fireable with the union. You have nearly a 6 figure pay package with you consider the benefits you wouldn't get over private

Cons

There are a lot..... Nepotism is rampant and entirely out of control. They openly advocate for relatives employment and it is accepted as the way of the land. Very rarely if ever do we have a fair hire not already connected via relationship to an existing employee. Nearly every hire I have seen is someone's relative for friend. Everyone gets their +1 or "friend hire" via an archaic patronage hiring system. Many positions remain open for months despite work needing to be done. This is because rather than fill it and get the work done now they will leave it open so later it can be filled with their friend. This has destroyed equality of opportunity and opened us up for fraud since family results in collusion and group think and tribalism. This is particularly dangerous in accounting/IT/Finance which are not independent functions because the same relatives are in each department. People are permitted to operate in their native languages creating ethnic cliques and hurting security. By allowing people to hire family members the resulting group think and zero sum game results in groups forcing others out. This is because they can then move in a member of their group.

Advice to Management

Please stop the nepotism! Transfer out those who are in incompatible functions with their relatives for the security of the state. Our Medi-Cal Fraud is 10% for a reason. There are many related parties here and you simply cannot regulate that many. You really should stop this before you get on CNN again. The substance use audit section that got you on CNN has many relatives in it. We are a government agency so essentially everything that happened will inevitably come out I know it's not your fault Jennifer. The appointed big wigs have little if any power because the pieces beneath them are connected.

9. "IT Analyst"

Current Employee - Information Systems Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Information Systems Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Department of Health Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This a fast paced troubleshoot position, utilizing a ticketing system to create work orders for clients. The analyst must be multifaceted in software, hardware, networking, and security concepts. Along with active directory and SharePoint experience

Cons

The analyst must take calls for requests.

Advice to Management

Hire individuals willing to go the extra mile for the team and customers. It is important to have a candidate that is knowledgeable as well as duty minded.

"Office of Family Planning"

I worked at California Department of Health Services full-time

Pros

Talented employees and helpful peers.

Cons

Assistant Division Chief and Chief are unorganized and unprofessional.

Advice to Management

1/3 of your team is on leave. The rest of the EE's want to get out of the department. Your division is imploding on itself.