California Department of Justice Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Attorney"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at California Department of Justice full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work, always challenging, good supervision, nice people, predictable schedule, rewarding job

Cons

None that I can see.

Advice to Management

None

2. "Generally good place"

Pros

Good benefits, flexibility, good morale.

Cons

Depending on SAAG, can be very stressful even with "official" 40 hours per week.

3. "Moderate Pay, but Good Benefits"

Current Employee - Program Technician II
    Current Employee - Program Technician II

I have been working at California Department of Justice full-time

Pros

I have the option for a 401k and earn a pension based on my years of service. My health benefits are very inexpensive compared to most of my friends. I pay $88 total for full medical, dental, and premium VSP.

Cons

All promotions in my section are based on exam lists. Promotions are not possible unless you take a State sponsored exam to get on a list for that position. No matter how well you perform at work, if you do not do well enough on an exam, you can not get promoted.

5. "Great experience"

Pros

Knowledgable supervising attorney, great work atmosphere, and generally a great place to gain some legal experience.

Cons

Didn't really experience anything negative here. Everyone was friendly, but if you're looking for a fast-paced job where you can make an impact very quickly, this probably isn't it.

"Sr. Information Systems Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Information Systems Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Information Systems Analyst in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Nothing. This place is horrible!

Cons

This place is utterly horribly disgusting. The building is dirty, the cubicles are small and it does not follow the State Policies on anything! They advertise 'free parking' but that is a joke, the parking lot is always full and it overflows with water in the winter during the rains, and if your car gets damaged they do not pay for your vehicle, you must go through you insurance and claim the damage.

The people are miserable, mean, gossipers, unprofessional and have nothing better to do than start drama. Management is not properly trained to deal with employees, urgent maters and they yell at their employees, use profanity and are extremely unprofessional. Management are low class and do not act like 'White Collar' workers. This place is corrupt and does not follow any State Laws and Protocols, they do things as they wish and get away with it because the have a COP mentality. If you report evil doings they will open a case against YOU and begin to try to discredit you and eventually fire YOU.

I noticed this place tolerates sexism, chauvinism, misogynism and bigotry. Their mindset is stuck in the 1960's.

I do not recommend this place for anyone and it needs to be audited.

Advice to Management

Old timers need to be fired! This place is corrupt and needs to be revamped and audited.

7. "Great People and Supportive Management"

Former Employee - Project Management/Senior Developer in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Project Management/Senior Developer in Sacramento, CA

I worked at California Department of Justice full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good location; opportunity to advance; stable work

Cons

Depending on what unit you work with, you are at the whim of the state budget and priorities shift a great deal.

8. "Horrible"

I worked at California Department of Justice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing. I guess the only good thing is the dress code is casual where I worked.

Cons

Everything from policy to management is horrible. We have to keep track of what we do every hour of everyday down to the nearest 15 minutes. The irony is that they want to cut down on the time we spend on admin. I could have cut down on most of my admin time if I didn't have to do those time sheets. We have to write our reports twice, once in the results section and a second time in the more detailed examination section. There are no macros and no standardized statements. Not only does report writing takes much longer than normal, everyone sort of writes his own things; there is no standardization. These are just some of the stupid things we do. I just don't have the space to write down all the cons.

Advice to Management

A complete overhaul of the system is needed.

"Not bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at California Department of Justice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, holiday and sick pay. Flexible leave when necessary. Good management team. Accrue more and more Holiday and sick time the longer you work here. Opportunities to network and get on the job training. Great work environment.

Cons

Can become monotonous. Not very much room to move up, depending on where exactly you work. Difficult to move up because of impacted positions. Someone needs to retire for you to have a spot.

Advice to Management

Create more incentive to work to full potential, and create more opportunities for growth within work environment. Make it possible to promote.

California Department of Justice Response

Dec 4, 2015 – departmental recruiter

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate you sharing your experience working at the California Department of Justice.

"Great Career!"

Current Employee - Staff Services Analyst in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Great place to learn, network and grow as an HR professional. Great benefits and I can enjoy a great deal of work-life balance with this job.

Cons

The hiring process can be a little lengthy, but it is worth the wait.

California Department of Justice Response

Dec 4, 2015 – departmental recruiter

Thank you for your positive feedback and sharing your experience! We hope with the coming Civil Service improvements that the hiring process will be streamlined. If you would like any information on ... More

"New to State Service-1 year"

Current Employee - Staff Services Analyst in Sacramento, CA

Pros

I love the stability, flexibility, and the benefits package. I also have plenty of opportunities to collaborate with other state departments which is great for networking. Working for the state and more specifically, the DOJ I know I am making a difference in peoples lives while serving the State of California.

Cons

Some processes can be slow, but overall it is not something that is overshadows the pros of working for this Department.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!