California Department of Rehabilitation Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Office Technicion"

Current Employee - Office Technician (Typing) in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Office Technician (Typing) in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I work for helping blind vendors, it helps a blind person make a living for there them selfs, i assistant when they call in for service for there kitchen equipment so they function there cafaterias or snack shops in federal state of county facilitys. I process invoices, process service orders and monthly inventory. I process time sheets for our departments employees. prepare monthly reports for our contract.

Cons

Not enough time to finish the work

2. "Counselor"

Current Employee - Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
    Current Employee - Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor

I have been working at California Department of Rehabilitation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can be vested after 5 years, pretty decent PTO, most of the clients are great people

Cons

Disorganized management, overrun with clients who are gaming the system which causes work to be back logged, not a lot of room for upward mobility, low salary and raises are minimal

"Civil Servent"

Current Employee - Employent Coordinator
    Current Employee - Employent Coordinator

I have been working at California Department of Rehabilitation (More than 3 years)

Pros

The workload is very manageable. The supervisors are different depending on the branch you work in but in my office they are amazing. Flexible schedule. Accommodations. Respect from staff.

Cons

IT issues abound. Some rules may seem arbitrary and there are frequent memos which you must read.

Advice to Management

Fewer support staff and a larger number of staff doing direct service. We are an employment program, perhaps implementing more services providing direct employment placement.

5. "Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at California Department of Rehabilitation (More than a year)

Pros

Great entry-level position to gain experience in legal. Great co-workers that genuinely care about having a positive impact.

Cons

Very fast-paced environment. Can be successful at times.

Advice to Management

Be opened-minded to others opinions and suggestions.

6. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Department of Rehabilitation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The work we do is exemplary. We strive to serve our consumers to the best of our ability.

Cons

The rules and regulations hamper our ability to provide excellent services.

Advice to Management

Streamline procedures

"Office Technician"

Current Employee - Office Technician
    Current Employee - Office Technician

I have been working at California Department of Rehabilitation (More than 5 years)

Pros

DOR has a more lax environment than other State Departments in regards to start time and dress code, you are guaranteed a timely paycheck and a yearly small raise until you max out in your range.

Cons

If you are support staff, be prepared to be treated as the "hired Help", upward mobility exist only for those who possess a degree, those who work at the capital (Sacramento), and for those who are the Manager's pet will be promoted. TM's are mainly pro QRP in some offices, which leaves the support staff open to be harassed, over worked and unappreciated. This is due to lack of support from management, lack of knowledge of support staff contract and mainly lack of concern.

Advice to Management

Manage all equally and fairly. All employees can see who has favor and who doesn't.

"Clerical Position"

Pros

Working with members of the community.

Cons

Favoritism. Gossip. Maltreatment of clerical staff.

"SVRC-Qualified Rehabilitation Professional"

Current Employee - Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor in Culver City, CA

I have been working at California Department of Rehabilitation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helping persons with disabilities with a better quality of life.

Cons

Enables clients to depend on the Department. Does not care about their employees. Management education level is lower than the Counselors they supervise and bully their employees creating an uncomfortable and hostile work environment.

Advice to Management

Listen to the SVRC-QRP about providing services to Consumers.

"Not bad for a state job"

Pros

People are nice. Offers very good benefits and training opportunities to employees. The work load is generally reasonable most of the time.

Cons

Not the most progressive of places to work. Not all, but many employees have "failed up" so you encounter a lot of incompetence. Some managers don't know how to manage staff. It's a state department, so there's a lot of red tape and hoops to jump through even for the smallest of tasks. Also a bit of nepotism going on throughout the department.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your employees do/are capable of doing instead of focusing on titles or classifications.

"Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor"

Current Employee - Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at California Department of Rehabilitation full-time

Pros

You are able to make a positive difference on the job as you work directly with many amazing clients with severe disabilities.

Cons

The pay is poor, there are too many unqualified people in management that are not hard workers through out the State of CA. They do not understand how to engage with employers to assist the clients obtain employment. The work is very difficult. There is a lack of creativity in management & lack of appreciation for the staff in general. It varies from office to office.

Advice to Management

Put down your cell phones, say hello to the staff, listen & roll up your sleeves & work with your counselors.