California Department of Water Resources Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Department of Water Resources part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours for students. Great opportunities to get involved in cool projects.

Cons

A lot of the work is typical "student work".

Advice to Management

None

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Department of Water Resources full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good State retirement and health benefits, location downtown, casual dress, they do important work for the state, most people believe in science

Cons

There are employees who literally refuse to answer emails, do assigned work, and try to delegate their assignments to others. Serious problems with staff aren't addressed and it creates heavy workloads and stress for diligent staff. Authority for projects can be delegated to committees or people with no relevant experience, executives pull rank to get their way, and many things operate without rules. There's no kitchen.

Advice to Management

Hire more staff, stop giving committees of random people power over things they don't even work on. Respect and listen to your actual experts. Establish rules and enforce them. Executives need to do something when problems are escalated to them. Get rid of worthless staff. Someone needs to organize something fun here. There's absolutely no sense of community or commradery, no fun activities or team building. No joy anywhere. Stress everywhere.

3. "Friendly Working Space"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Sacramento, CA

I worked at California Department of Water Resources full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment at CDWR is both positive and friendly. Just walking down the halls is a friendly space. I never had any trouble asking people for information or collaborating with them. It was fun, relaxed and still intellectually challenging.

Cons

Even though I was an electrical engineer, I ended up doing more civil engineering/reports than anything else. I did a lot of programming, which I like, but I also was working on things unrelated to what I wanted to do.

"Always Good to work in water-related field"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Sacramento, CA

Pros

Many good people. Positive work environment. Their magazine profiling happenings and employees is great.

Cons

Management can be micro-managers. Typical state level bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Listen to your competent employees.

"The pension isn't worth dealing with malaise"

Former Employee - Associate Hydroelectric Power Utility Engineer in Sacramento, CA

I worked at California Department of Water Resources full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Individual contributors still non-exempt.
    - Pension and post-retirement healthcare competitive with even the best 401k matching plans in private industry.
    - Nearly impossible to get fired or laid off

Cons

- General apathy and malaise to work
    - Priorities are not well defined, requires managing up skills
    - Not a lot of varied backgrounds or opinions since most employees started as interns in college and just stuck around
    - Most jobs become contractor management and/or new employee trainer

Advice to Management

- Focus priorities for individual contributors
    - Develop outside talent
    - Encourage team-building and employee well-being

6. "Great, easy going job if you don't want to get very technical."

Former Employee - Engineering Student Assistant in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Student Assistant in Sacramento, CA

I worked at California Department of Water Resources part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule. Accommodating Staff.
    Easy going work pace - not to much work

Cons

The particular office I worked in did not have much "engineering" work. DWR in general contracts out a lot of its engineering work.
    Very Grey office.
    Easy going work pace - you get bored.

7. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer, Water Resources in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer, Water Resources in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Department of Water Resources full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working in the Division of Flood Management for past 2 years and I believe it’s a great place to work. The working environment is excellent compared to the private company I’ve worked in the past. Everyone seems very polite and courteous to others. My co-workers are always helpful and go out of their ways to help me out if needed. The management cares for the well being of their employees and promotes training classes for career growth.

Cons

There are lots of rules and regulations and forms to fill up in order to complete a simple task and some processes are slow due to government bureaucracy. The day to day work isn’t as challenging compare to the private sector. Moving up in the career ladder can be difficult due to limited available position.

Advice to Management

Few managers don’t have good leadership and management skills. Managers should promote teamwork within their group.

8. "Productive and learning experience of government operations"

Current Employee - Assistant in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant in Bakersfield, CA

Pros

Flexible time scheduling and 100% pay for all extra curricular job related classes.

Cons

Not much room for growth and very little movement for advancement.

9. "Support for O&M"

Current Employee - Engineer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Flexiblibity, good family-work balance. Good benefits.

Cons

Many employees are underutilized. Work done is not acknowledged as having value by division.

Advice to Management

Needs leadership.

10. "Great people, growing working environment"

Pros

I can only speak for the Division of Flood Management but over the past few years I've witnessed a growing culture based on integration, transparency, and trust. Employees are kind to one another and, as a State agency, there is a growing emphasis to integrate across disciplines and people.

Cons

DWR has not been known for handling implementation projects in-house historically but there is a new movement to reverse this stigma.

Advice to Management

Keep up all the good work. Continue to diversify your ranks with varying perspectives across various disciplines.