California Employment Development Department Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • Job security, great place for "free riders" if some one just wants to get by and do a lousy job (in 11 reviews)

• Helping people and being able to relate to where they are in their current situation allows me a rewarding career at an over 60 year old place in life (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It is hard to have upward mobility (in 5 reviews)

• no cons that I can think of at the moment (in 4 reviews)

1. "Nice work if you can get it."

Former Employee - Staff Services Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Services Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I worked at California Employment Development Department full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Once you make it out of the call center, if you're competent and hard working, the sky is the limit. This is a good place to start your CA State career.

Cons

When you first start, you are likely to be a Permanent Intermittent employee (hours are often cut based on workload) in the call center.

Advice to Management

None.

2. "Once you master the foundation you can cruise control your way to retirement"

Current Employee - Employment Program Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Employment Program Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at California Employment Development Department full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* stable and safe secure job
    * compensation maxed after 5 yrs
    * state jobs offer good insurance and 401 with lots of time off options

Cons

* some coworkers get complacent and become bitter thus treating customers poorly
    * not much room for growth since managers stay in their position for several years
    * once you reach the top salary your extra effort won't affect your salary which encourages a "good enough for government work" mentality.

Advice to Management

Seek to have managers which look for traits their team members have and give them projects which would foster a sense of purpose.

3. "Computer Operator"

I have been working at California Employment Development Department full-time

Pros

There is always work available, when work assignments are caught up, they always find you something to do. Good benefits, good retirement, decent pay.

Cons

people who work there are much older and stay there for more than 20+ years. they are lazy and old. no room for advancement.

5. "Great place to work at"

Former Employee - Employment Program Representative in Buena Park, CA
    Former Employee - Employment Program Representative in Buena Park, CA

I worked at California Employment Development Department (More than 5 years)

Pros

Steady work great people awesome benefits rewarding career

Cons

Training coukd be better management doesn't monitor how the customer service reps treat the public some emoloyees get on a power trip and forget that the clients are worried abd stressed about not having a job so the lack empathy

Advice to Management

Go over the basics with veteran employees. Stress the importance of empathy and kindness when speaking to the public. Train the personnel who interview the clients when they have issues to not play God be fair and kind. Give your everyday workers a pat on the back once in awhile. When you are good to the people you are in charge of they will go out of thier way for you. But when you treat them bad make them fear you they will go out of their way to see you fall.

6. "Tax Auditor"

Former Employee - Tax Auditor in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Tax Auditor in San Jose, CA

I worked at California Employment Development Department full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Getting out of the office and meeting new people is a plus.

Cons

Heavy workload, stressful job, low pay, and reduced benefits for new employees.

Advice to Management

Seek and consider the input of the employees.

"Tax Auditor - San Jose"

Current Employee - Tax Auditor in San Jose, CA

I have been working at California Employment Development Department full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Work only 8 hours and go home
    - Benefits
    - Tax knowledge
    - Vacation time
    - Job security
    - There is always parking available in the parking lot.

Cons

- The job itself is awful
    - Stressful
    - Extreme Micro Management
    - Local and higher management are incompetent
    - Bad procedures and processes
    - Bad employer/ employer relationship
    - The department is always right... no matter what!
    - Pay is awful! Some janitors and many cashiers make more than you will in your first 3 to 6 years as a tax auditor.
    - Really old technology
    - Too many manual processes
    - Interpretation of laws is really inconsistent among staff and management
    - Staff are not important to management
    - The voices of staff are not on management's priority - like fair pay.
    - Poor available resources for staff
    - Unfair practices of state labor laws that benefit the department
    - Awful pay
    - Stressful
    - A lot of micromanagement
    - The union is useless
    - The pension and benefits for incoming staff are significantly reduced.
    - Expectation from staff to use personal resources and very broken processes to receive reimbursement.
    - Little to no hope of career growth
    - No room to move up the career ladder
    - Just all around, an awful job all together.

Advice to Management

- Get your act together.
    - The work environment has become very undesirable and stressful.
    - We aren't children... we are severally underpaid professionals working at nearly a slave pay pay rate.
    - Stop hiding behind emails and start leading.
    - Try managing... it might work!

8. "Student Audit Assistant"

Current Employee - Student Assistant in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in San Jose, CA

I have been working at California Employment Development Department part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice work environment, friendly co-workers, professional management

Cons

I didn't find any cons until now.

9. "EDD Tax- Making Employment Taxes a Breeze?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at California Employment Development Department full-time

Pros

If you're a married woman with children, your husband has a well paying job, and are looking for a set schedule, paid holidays, your standard 10 days off a year, and a pension... this is the place to work for.

Cons

Where to begin...

They "train" you on how to do your job, but everything you do is "on a case by case basis", no two audits are the same. If you ask the same question 5 different times, to the same person, be sure to expect 5 different answers. Be ready to be micro managed and give a detailed report on how you spent your 8 hours. If you say no to any of their demands you will automatically be on their hit list. And worse of all, for the amount of micro managing and the actual work load you are expected to do, you aren't even appreciated by management OR compensated correctly by the State.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to truley care and respect for your employees. I understand there is nothing you can do about the pay, but appreciating us a little more and not micro managing us to the max will create a less hostile workplace. If you have a problem with us, don't hide behind an email and tell us to fix it, come to us and show us how it should be done.

"Now is not a good time to work here."

Current Employee - Tax Auditor in San Jose, CA

I have been working at California Employment Development Department full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are friendly. The set schedule is nice, and we work our 8 hours and go home. It's really hard to get fired after passing probation. Easy way to coast through your "career" and retire if that's what you're looking for in life. Benefits are alright for incoming new hires. They were much better for senior staff. The pension is not that great for incoming new hires.

Cons

Micro-management to the max! The only step left to further micro manage us is management stand behind us telling us when to inhale and when to exhale and hold our arms telling us what to type. The internal stress of dealing with the department and its non logical and extremely unnecessary procedures is overwhelming. Getting reimbursement for personal vehicle use can be stressful. Nothing is provided by the department. You either have to bring your own water, pay the monthly employee contribution fee for water, or use the water fountain. The management team is not doing a good job. The office environment between staff and management and the management itself are very divided. No chance of going up the career ladder unless you leave the office to another office. The pay is the worst part! You'll stay under 50 grand annually for the first few years as an auditor 1 and 2. Auditor 3 breaks 50 grand once you're a few years into your auditor career, if you can land the position and you manage to be among the few who stay that long.

Advice to Management

My advice to management: You need to genuinely care for your staff. You have driven an entire office of auditors to begin seeking employment elsewhere. Most of the auditors, including the senior staff, are seriously considering leaving the department because of the excessive micro management. The notion that staff are always guilty and the department is always right is not an environment anyone wants to work in. The job is stressful enough as it is. The internal stress of dealing with a department that is about 30 years behind on technology is really stressful, so dealing with an inefficient management team adds a whole lot more stress to an already extremely stressful job. Also, the expectation that our personal resources like our cell phones, vehicles, and personal time are available to the department is not fair considering the job pays well under $20,000 for a similar position with county, city, or federal governments. The imposed deadlines and the work load are not fair considering the poor pay, diminishing pension, and lack of opportunities for career growth. Also, the condescending feed back really makes it hard to learn and focus on career development. The improvement of the building conditions is greatly appreciated when it helps the staff and lessens stress.

11. "Student Assistant"

I worked at California Employment Development Department part-time

Pros

Overall I enjoyed my time at EDD. As a student I was given very flexible hours and could use my leave time
    Without much notice.

Cons

Some of the downsides of working at EDD included limited interaction with other EDD employees. Also not much room for advancement.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice for managers in my department as they don't have much say in how things are run in a state organization.