California Family Fitness Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Randy Karr

Pros
  • A free gym membership is included (in 12 reviews)

• Customers were awesome and it was nice to get a free gym membership (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • to drink the Cal Fit Sales Kool Aid on a daily basis thus being brainwashed by Upper Fitness Management into believing that the average member who pays (in 6 reviews)

• Not a very productive way of retaining training staff, and as a result of this you continually have a very high turnover rate of Training Staff (in 4 reviews)

1. "Front desk attendant"

I worked at California Family Fitness part-time

Pros

Great way to practice social skills. You get a free gym membership and people are really nice.

Cons

Sales associates will lie about contracts at times and you will have to deal with the backlash.

2. "Good place to work"

I have been working at California Family Fitness part-time

Pros

Nice environment to work in. Gym membership! Not stressful. Great place to work if your in school.

Cons

Very corporate. Good for discipline but gets tiring.

Advice to Management

There seems to be a lot of opportunity in this area. I didn't focus on this but those around me who did moved up quickly.

3. "Natomas Personal Trainer"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Sacramento, CA

I worked at California Family Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good compensation when you reach the higher end of the compensation plan. Lots of different ways to make money. Very available online training. Sales training is mostly good. Awesome people for the most part.

Cons

Management was way too in my business. Commission was VERY low. 5% on most things. Luckily hourly pay isn't bad once you reach the top of the compensation plan.

Advice to Management

I was a very successful personal trainer as I was consistently in the top 25 trainers of the month in both sales and sessions serviced. I made the company a lot of money. I never had anyone complain about me or refund a single sale I made. Yet, management feels like it constantly needs to tell me how to run my business. Give the employees guidance at first and then let them go. If they don't make it they don't make it. Don't waste everyone's time with useless meetings and protocols.

5. "Great place for teen's/young adults/beginning your career"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at California Family Fitness full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Obviously, free membership at somewhere that truly is the best health club in Sacramento. Additionally though,this is an awesome place to work for all front line positions (Front desk, personal trainer, day care, janitors, member attendant, membership sales). They are amazing at working with students, and truly seem to want to see you be successful in your career. You will learn to talk with people and deal with any and all personality types, which will give you a one up on your peers when your graduating college and/or looking to move into a field that goes beyond the service sector.

Cons

Management beware! There is very little independence on the management level. Your a puppet. Yes, you may have title of manager, but your not really involved in any real, impactful decision. The open door policy/valuing your opinion does not exist. You will walk into meetings and find that behind closed doors the upper level corporate management has made major changes to company policy and you have no choice but to start enforcing whatever the new policy is effective immediately. These decisions are being made by people who don't even work in the clubs and truly have no idea what is going on in the clubs. The company is also extremely secretive. Come on people - it's a health club, not the CIA. Loosen up a bit and involve your management team on what's going on. Try trusting people for a change. Harness the dozens of brilliant minds that you have in your company and are running your stores and try taking their advice every now and then! Also, have been in a redundant amount of meetings where a manager will make a suggestion and immediately literally get laughed at/sarcastic comment gets hurled at them and then the meeting moves on. I personally was yelled at once and made to feel like an ignorant child for trying to professionally and gently start some dialog on a issue that I thought needed changing. The front line staff of the company have no voice and the open door policy is a complete lie simply listed in the core value, because if they didn't put that in their lingo, wouldn't that be a red flag? Words are only brought to life if the leaders live them day in/out. It can't just be pretty phrases on a wall.

Advice to Management

If your young and starting to build your career - Amazing, Awesome, work here! Even if you've never held a management position and are offered one, take what I said above with a HUGE grain of salt. Great place to learn to build a team, lead a team, get exposed to P&L, accounts payable, accounts receivable, etc. etc. But if you have existing management experience and value your voice being heard, I would be very wary about working here. Also managers who don't have a huge value on independence and have families - the work life balance is extremely reasonable so this may be a incentive for you.

6. "Child Care"

Current Employee - Child Care Attendant
    Current Employee - Child Care Attendant

Pros

Kids are the best part , Co-workers, Flexible Schedule,

Cons

Corporate is awful, they make decisions that make your job harder for no reason. Company is too expensive and robs people for what they get. People pay so much for child care and the company can't even update stuff consistently.

7. "Stay for kids but leaving because of management"

Current Employee - Child Care Attendant in Folsom, CA
    Current Employee - Child Care Attendant in Folsom, CA

I have been working at California Family Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The children are good to work with and free membership. Did also just get a new ops manager and he is very hands on the only good thing about the club .

Cons

Management in childcare are disrespectfully , demand when they come in a room , ask what time you get off then leave for lunch and you have to stay over and they are constantly understaffed . Watch your back new employee's they will write you up for the littlest of things and run employees away where they want to transfer to different guy to get away from current management.

Advice to Management

Need to stop running your employees away , treat your employees with respect and stop assuming you know what was going on in a room when you are not there . Don't gossip about current employees in front of coworkers it's very unprofessional and actually train the new employees .

8. "Membership Consultant"

Current Employee - Membership Consultant in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Membership Consultant in Roseville, CA

I have been working at California Family Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing I can think of. This company is completely backwards. The sales department is run by unethical, uneducated, unqualified people with no clue how to manage people.

Cons

Every position is minimum wage except sales. Sales managers can transfer sales from team members to themselves or other team members and make up arbitrary rules as to why they can do it. There is nobody to report this to because the higher-ups simply do not care as long as the sales managers are making them money by hitting their goals. The company is managed by people who have no idea what they are doing. Work schedules are never posted in advance, so employees have no idea when they're working until the last minute each week which makes scheduling doctors appointments or anything else impossible.This company places no value on previous management experience or education and only promotes based on sales which encourages employees to participate in unethical practices to achieve their goals. Unless you like being miserable, I would avooid Cal Fit.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting uneducated, unethical, sales people to management positions. New membership consultants have effectively zero chance to succeed, nor do they want to in the toxic environment that has been created.

9. "Fun but Difficult"

Pros

Fun Environment, Free Gym Membership, Great Cowowrkers

Cons

Terrible Management, Bad Scheduling, Favoritism

Advice to Management

Have thoughtful hiring

10. "Swim Instructor"

Former Employee - Swim Instructor in Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Swim Instructor in Folsom, CA

I worked at California Family Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great work environment, friendly staff, got to work out in the gym for free, lasting friendships

Cons

Outside for most of the day, always have to make sure you drink enough water, gets very hot

11. "California premier FAMILY fitness center!"

Current Employee - Certified Personal Trainer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Personal Trainer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Family Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I get to promote a healthy lifestyle daily for all members and employees! I love training and helping others everyday.

Cons

Help me help you! Keep communication clear.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the training for potential growth and new opportunities in the company.