California Institute of the Arts Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Animation Instructor"

I worked at California Institute of the Arts part-time

Pros

As a student at CalArts, working with the Community Arts Partnership was my favorite experience at the school. CAP is an optional after-school program, so the only students that attend the classes are the ones who truly want to be there.

Cons

CAP is a non-profit so it's difficult to make a living working there full-time. Many of my colleagues who worked as instructors needed to take on freelance work to support their lifestyles in addition to this teaching position.

Advice to Management

You guys rule! Keep doing you. :)

2. "Reception Host Review"

Pros

Friendly people, fun job, some creative freedom in decorating, work while you party!

Cons

Some heavy lifting and trash removal. No big deal.

3. "Love Working at CalArts"

Current Employee - Student Assistant, Alumni & Family Engagement in Valencia, CA

I have been working at California Institute of the Arts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Caring coworkers and a flexible environment.

Cons

Unorganized administration leads to frustration and miscommunication between departments.

4. "CalArts"

I have been working at California Institute of the Arts full-time

Pros

CalArts is a great place for creative people, lots of talent and exciting things happening every day.

Cons

Located far away from LA, and Santa Clarita is very conservative without a lot of culture...average to below average pay-scale.

5. "very low salaries"

Current Employee - Full Time Faculty in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Full Time Faculty in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at California Institute of the Arts (More than 10 years)

Pros

great faculty, great students, free to teach as we see fit, which is pleasant

Cons

very, very poor salaries, admin paid well, faculty are ripped off.

Advice to Management

2% COLA per year is a pathetic joke.

6. "Wonderful Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valencia, CA

I have been working at California Institute of the Arts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Creative, collaborative students and faculty and an infectious spirit of exploration permeate the air. Supportive team mentality among staff across the Institute fosters people not only working hard but working smart. CalArts is a magical environment in which to make art and to work. I have experienced this place as a student, instructor, part-time employee, and full-time employee; I have been impressed and thrilled by the experiences at every stage. With many new faces at the helms of major departments and programs, budget transparency, new initiatives, emphasis on institute diversity, and many other exciting developments, it is a thrilling time to work at and serve CalArts. Every go-getter who studies and works here has the opportunity to thrive amid our action-packed academic and extracurricular calendars and our ambitious programming on- and off-campus. Staff appreciation week, great available benefits, many work perks, and so many aspects of working and studying here make staff and alumni feel earnestly appreciated. As a full-time employee and member of the CalArts alumni community, I am so grateful that the school emphasizes a healthy work-life balance for its staff and students who pursue dual career pathways working here and working separately as artists.

Cons

The overall structures, peer support, work ethic, and team mentalities here are strong, but there is a short list of a few outliers among staff and faculty whose attitudes and procedures can be described as territorial or stubbornly set in unconstructive ways.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting and expanding the growth of the school while maintaining our focus on our artists and paving paths for individuals - students, alumni, faculty, and staff - and the institution as a whole to thrive. Effect change among those few who resist adapting their outlook and output in order to better serve the community with people excited to serve the futures and honor the legacies of CalArts.

7. "It is what it is."

I have been working at California Institute of the Arts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

An interesting, sometimes disturbing place to work, if you're into that kinda thing. Great benefits.

Cons

The pay is extremely low.

8. "Admissions Counselor"

I have been working at California Institute of the Arts full-time

Pros

The culture of CalArts is very progressive

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are few

9. "Part Time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valencia, CA

I have been working at California Institute of the Arts (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone at CalArts is very helpful, super friendly, and a great place to work. The students have huge hearts and always testing the boundaries.

Cons

Between the offices there is a lack of communication and disorganized.

10. "student worker"

Pros

great place to work ,

Cons

can be a bit loose on timelines