California Institute of the Arts Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Part Time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valencia, CA

I have been working at California Institute of the Arts (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone at CalArts is very helpful, super friendly, and a great place to work. The students have huge hearts and always testing the boundaries.

Cons

Between the offices there is a lack of communication and disorganized.

2. "Terrible place"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Valencia, CA

I worked at California Institute of the Arts (More than a year)

Pros

My direct co-workers and managers were great.

Cons

CalArts is awful, the culture there is toxic.

3. "Low Hours"

Current Employee - Student Worker in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Student Worker in San Diego, CA

I have been working at California Institute of the Arts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I get to work in the field that I love

Cons

I am only allowed 20 hours per week and at $10 per hours, it doesn't reflect the amount of work that I do.

Advice to Management

I think that more hours should be allotted to the student workers if they desire it.

"Instructor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valencia, CA

I worked at California Institute of the Arts part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing creative environment with a lot of freedom. Incredibly talented teaching professionals. A very determined and dedicated student body. It's a great atmosphere to be a teacher in while also pursuing professional goals.

Cons

Most of the upper management, and the administrative leaders in particular, are very out of touch with the original vision of the school. The campus is being run more like a for-profit business rather than focusing on being a pioneer in the arts. This effects the students as well as the faculty. Because of the huge operational budget, more faculty are laid off than administrative workers, which creates a greater strain on the remaining faculty and widens the teacher:student class ratio.

Advice to Management

Upper management and admin need to be trimmed down, especially considering that there are some incomes in the six figures. At an art school no less. More financial burden is being placed on students since they have to compensate for tuition hikes. True transparency with the operational budget would be good as well.

6. "Music Teacher fro Community Arts Partnership(CAP) at CalArts"

Current Employee - Music Teacher in Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Music Teacher in Valencia, CA

Pros

Work environment , Creative, Collaborative

Cons

Nothing . Its really good.

7. "Environment"

Current Employee - Teacher In Art (Photography and Media) in Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher In Art (Photography and Media) in Valencia, CA

I have been working at California Institute of the Arts part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are surrounded by exhilarating talent daily. You are treated like an artist rather than an academia. Creative approaches to teaching welcome.

Cons

it is a buisness, the administrations priorities are sometimes curious to the faculty. However, not a lot to complain about.

8. "teaching assistant"

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I like working there. such a vibrant school. the management listens to your opinion sincerely and they are very open-minded.

Cons

i guess valencia is a bit far too drive from the city. sometimes you ll get a lot of traffic when you hit the I-5. especially morning hours or at around 5 you will hit the jam.

9. "Great working at CalArts"

Current Employee - Office Assistant in Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Valencia, CA

I have been working at California Institute of the Arts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, artistic work environment, surrounded by friendly people who enjoy their jobs

Cons

The only con I have is that there is not a more permanent position for me

"Some fantastic people caught in a system that lacks direction and leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valencia, CA

I have been working at California Institute of the Arts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some very talented people here, it's a creative-academic atmosphere

Cons

The school lives off of its past history as a groundbreaking, cutting edge art school; the technology is behind other schools, managers settle for status quo, lack of creativity on the part of the administration; the good people leave from burnout, the bad people stay because there is no performance bars set.

Advice to Management

Stop living off the history of the school - focus on rethinking the direction and redesign the school for the 21st Century; most of all, leadership, leadership, leadership at all levels from supervisors to the president's office. There needs to be energy from the top that's carried down. And please set and enforce performance goals.

11. "The Character Animation Department -- A very creative and inspiring place to be."

Current Employee - Instructor in Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Valencia, CA

Pros

The pay is very good compared to the other colleges I've taught at, twice as much as some (!)

The present department heads have made the program much better-run, better structured, and changed the previous all-too-laissez faire attitude of the students and department into one that gives the teachers much more motivated and responsible pupils to teach (which makes our job much easier).

The other teachers are top-notch talents in the field and almost everyone I've met over the years is very dedicated to helping the students be the best that they can.

Cons

Not really any. There's occasionally slow progress on getting change to happen in a class or the program but no more than so than in any higher ed bureaucracy.