California Pacific Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
California Pacific Medical Center CEO Warren Browner
Warren Browner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good benefits to their employees, pto and sickleave available (in 9 reviews)

• Good pay, benefits and flexibility (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No room to move up in the department (in 5 reviews)

• The pay is not competitive and cost of living adjustments are no longer given (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Hospital to work for!"

I worked at California Pacific Medical Center full-time

Pros

Stable jobs with good paying salaries.

Cons

No room to move up, unless you know someone.

"frugal, sub standard and cold towards nurses"

Current Employee - Staff RN in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at California Pacific Medical Center (More than 10 years)

Pros

san francisco location, low standards to live up to

Cons

low pay. nonexistent respect for nurses. constant budget talk...poor enviroment, broken beds, equipment, faulty outlets, minimum linen( blankets need to be requested by patient), no perks such at cafe discount/parking, no commaraderie among staff Sutter has lowered the bar on nursing and is easy to work at as the expectations and supplies are low....stay away if possible....zero to very little room or opportunity to advance as a nurse

Advice to Management

hospital work involves lives and well being....this isn't a retail business or brokerage firm......hospitals require taking care of staff as well as patients....

3. "For healthcare professionals, consider Sutter Health/CPMC"

Former Employee - Patient Care Advocate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Patient Care Advocate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at California Pacific Medical Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great opportunity to meet the community's health needs

Cons

Really none. CMPC is a great organization

Advice to Management

Select people with diverse employment backgrounds

4. "Great place to work if you like to stay busy!"

Former Employee - Security Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Security Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at California Pacific Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

GO GO GO, is the pace at all 4 campuses. Days go by fast yet are productive.

Cons

So busy that its not for everyone. If you are not organize and self driven you will get chewed up and spit out.

Advice to Management

Continue helping to develop employee's and giving them opportunities to advance.

5. "Work vibe"

I have been working at California Pacific Medical Center full-time

Pros

Great place to work. Teamwork is key here.

Cons

Timely matter. Things won't always get done

Advice to Management

More staffing or better scheduling would be great.

6. "Sterile processing technician"

Former Employee - Sterile Processing Technician/Surgical Technician in San Francisco, CA

I worked at California Pacific Medical Center (More than a year)

Pros

Nice place to work for good people to be around

Cons

Parking is horrible never no where to park

Advice to Management

Good person to know... easy to get along with

"Not the greatest place for RNs"

Current Employee - Staff Nurse II - Registered Nurse in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse II - Registered Nurse in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I have made some wonderful friendships here and I love the people I work with including my department manager. When I first came here over 17 years ago, I was able to see what a great hospital was like to work for, before Sutter ruined it.

Cons

For several years now nurses (RN's) have been paid the lowest at CPMC of all the hospitals in San Francisco. We were paid so well years ago and were the leader, now were the bottom. It's all since Sutter has taken more control of the hospitals. It's not jus the hourly wages, they keep cutting our benefits which are not that great to begin with when you compare it UCSF (which pays the best and has the best benefits, and by far the best retirement pension in San Francisco), Kaiser, Dignity hospitals, and even SF General. General pays less but their benefits are tons better and you will retire from there with a great future. I work on the Davies campus and once again, we got a small 3% raise this year even though we are at the bottom of the wages, and then they increased our co-pays and employee parking increased by 50%. I mean reallly? You charge your employees $180 to park in your own CPMC owned parking garage? It use to be $120 until Jan. 1 which was already absurb. Basically, this is the culture here at CPMC....they don't care about the employees anymore. You can read other reviews on here that may say nicer things, but that's because those others are just not educated as to what they could get by working at a different SF hospital. I have dusted off my resume. I am not disgruntled, I have great friends I work with and I love my manager. But like other RNs here, we are sick and tired of the culture where the employee is at the bottom of the priorty list. Please excuse my rant.

Advice to Management

Increase hourly pay rate for RNs and your othe staff. Accept that we know our benefits are not that great when compared to the competition so stop trying to tell us otherwise, we aren't stupid! Develop a culture where your employees feel good about who they are and where they work.

8. "ok"

Pros

no significant pros. it was an ok job. I wish I had more training to take full advantage of the job

Cons

Long commute. Low wages. High cost of living near the job. Worried about viability of healthcare.

Advice to Management

none really they can't fundamentally change the location of the job or the cost of living. They could pay for my education to return to school

"Review of Sutter CPMC"

I worked at California Pacific Medical Center part-time

Pros

The company provides a pension plan after three years of employment and benefits at the time I worked there were competitive with minimal out of pocket cost to employees. Multiple campuses and departments that allowed for promotions or position changes within the organization. Many opportunities for growth and career development.

Cons

Many significant operating changes in the last several years I was employed there in addition to being short-staffed and having intermittent hiring and salary freezes. One year the company did not match our 403 (B) contributions.

10. "Patient Advocate/Financial Counselor"

Current Employee - Financial Counselor and Patient Advocate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at California Pacific Medical Center (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits and flexibility. Staff is always eager to assist each other

Cons

Can't think of any at this point