California Pacific Medical Center Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

San Francisco, CA Area

California Pacific Medical Center CEO Warren Browner
Warren Browner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good benefits to their employees, pto and sickleave available (in 9 reviews)

• Good pay, benefits and flexibility (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No room to move up in the department (in 5 reviews)

• The pay is not competitive and cost of living adjustments are no longer given (in 3 reviews)

1. "California Pacific Medical Center"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at California Pacific Medical Center as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work, great team members.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say.

"frugal, sub standard and cold towards nurses"

Current Employee - Staff RN in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at California Pacific Medical Center (More than 10 years)

Pros

san francisco location, low standards to live up to

Cons

low pay. nonexistent respect for nurses. constant budget talk...poor enviroment, broken beds, equipment, faulty outlets, minimum linen( blankets need to be requested by patient), no perks such at cafe discount/parking, no commaraderie among staff Sutter has lowered the bar on nursing and is easy to work at as the expectations and supplies are low....stay away if possible....zero to very little room or opportunity to advance as a nurse

Advice to Management

hospital work involves lives and well being....this isn't a retail business or brokerage firm......hospitals require taking care of staff as well as patients....

3. "For healthcare professionals, consider Sutter Health/CPMC"

Former Employee - Patient Care Advocate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Patient Care Advocate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at California Pacific Medical Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great opportunity to meet the community's health needs

Cons

Really none. CMPC is a great organization

Advice to Management

Select people with diverse employment backgrounds

4. "Great place to work if you like to stay busy!"

Former Employee - Security Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Security Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at California Pacific Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

GO GO GO, is the pace at all 4 campuses. Days go by fast yet are productive.

Cons

So busy that its not for everyone. If you are not organize and self driven you will get chewed up and spit out.

Advice to Management

Continue helping to develop employee's and giving them opportunities to advance.

5. "Sterile processing technician"

Former Employee - Sterile Processing Technician/Surgical Technician in San Francisco, CA

I worked at California Pacific Medical Center (More than a year)

Pros

Nice place to work for good people to be around

Cons

Parking is horrible never no where to park

Advice to Management

Good person to know... easy to get along with

"Not the greatest place for RNs"

Current Employee - Staff Nurse II - Registered Nurse in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse II - Registered Nurse in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I have made some wonderful friendships here and I love the people I work with including my department manager. When I first came here over 17 years ago, I was able to see what a great hospital was like to work for, before Sutter ruined it.

Cons

For several years now nurses (RN's) have been paid the lowest at CPMC of all the hospitals in San Francisco. We were paid so well years ago and were the leader, now were the bottom. It's all since Sutter has taken more control of the hospitals. It's not jus the hourly wages, they keep cutting our benefits which are not that great to begin with when you compare it UCSF (which pays the best and has the best benefits, and by far the best retirement pension in San Francisco), Kaiser, Dignity hospitals, and even SF General. General pays less but their benefits are tons better and you will retire from there with a great future. I work on the Davies campus and once again, we got a small 3% raise this year even though we are at the bottom of the wages, and then they increased our co-pays and employee parking increased by 50%. I mean reallly? You charge your employees $180 to park in your own CPMC owned parking garage? It use to be $120 until Jan. 1 which was already absurb. Basically, this is the culture here at CPMC....they don't care about the employees anymore. You can read other reviews on here that may say nicer things, but that's because those others are just not educated as to what they could get by working at a different SF hospital. I have dusted off my resume. I am not disgruntled, I have great friends I work with and I love my manager. But like other RNs here, we are sick and tired of the culture where the employee is at the bottom of the priorty list. Please excuse my rant.

Advice to Management

Increase hourly pay rate for RNs and your othe staff. Accept that we know our benefits are not that great when compared to the competition so stop trying to tell us otherwise, we aren't stupid! Develop a culture where your employees feel good about who they are and where they work.

7. "Patient Advocate/Financial Counselor"

Current Employee - Financial Counselor and Patient Advocate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at California Pacific Medical Center (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits and flexibility. Staff is always eager to assist each other

Cons

Can't think of any at this point

"CPMC Does not respect its nurses or its patients"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in San Francisco, CA

I worked at California Pacific Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Convenient location (Laurel Heights) in a great residential neighborhood. I always felt safe there, even working night shift, which was good since there was basically no security to speak of!

Cons

Oh, my... Where to start?! I worked there for nearly 11 years as an RN on the Cal Campus. Management got fatter and fatter, but they kept cutting the staffing on the floor. Even working in Labor & Delivery, there were no secretaries, no nurse's aides, no lift teams, basically no ancillary staff at night, just nurses and housekeepers. There is no 24 hour pharmacy in the hospital -- the pharmacy closes at 10pm and we'd frequently run out of medicine for our inpatients! If your pregnant/laboring mom needed an X-ray or an evaluation for anything unrelated to her pregnancy, they'd have to call someone over from the other campus. We had a mom have a suspected stroke and she waited 6 hours for a neuro evaluation! They force the nurses to work without their breaks and in frankly a toxic and unsafe environment. Management is only focused on committees and meetings, not in patient safety. The nurses are leaving in droves! I would not recommend working here or receiving care here.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your staff -- give pay raises so that you are competitive with UCSF and Kaiser. Staff appropriately, following ACOG and AWHONN guidelines, so that the patients are safe. Make sure that your middle managers are not bullying their staff -- listen to the nurses who are leaving now or who have left. Have your managers spend time on their units, not just walking through during the day, but at night and on the weekends. Don't forget that hospitals are not businesses! We need to be open 24/7 to serve the community.

"Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Hardworking group of dedicated nurses

Cons

Classic disorganization of supplies, constantly short staffed, lack of adequate training or ability to educate, lack of consistent management (high turn over), lack of recognition of staff on holidays but management gets large lump sum bonus every year based on budget.

Advice to Management

Hire more nurses and pay them what they are worth

"Downward spiral"

Former Employee - Staff Nurse II in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Nurse II in San Francisco, CA

I worked at California Pacific Medical Center full-time

Pros

I enjoyed working in the ER at CPMC- Pacific Campus because of the great camaraderie amongst the staff and the common goal of making sure the best interests of our patients are ensured. From environmental services, registration, to the nursing supervisors, hospitalists, fellow ER nurses, and ER docs I have no doubt that every patient is genuinely respected and cared for. Everybody worked tirelessly to the best of their abilities.

Cons

Unfortunately, with management and higher administration, there is a lack of transparency. There is an unbelievable amount of distrust between management and staff. As a more senior nurse, having worked in the department for almost 9 years, there was no sense of support. Resources were lacking including staffing appropriately during high patient traffic times (I.e. Holidays on night shift). #1 reason why many RNs left was due to high stress environment including going 12.5 hrs of work with only 1 15-minute break due to understaffing. Hiring freeze continues but experienced nurses are not even applying because it is almost the lowest paid ER in the city and one of the busiest ERs in the city.

Advice to Management

In order to rebuild trust amongst the staff and management it is essential that respect be given both ways. Often the staff is feeling as if they are constantly at odds with management rather than being inclusive for the good of the patients. Many experienced staff have left the department because of the fear that any minute now he/she will be in trouble. Instead of a supportive environment it was run without conferring with staff. Many excellent experienced nurses have left due to challenging conditions in the department that could have been avoided. Instead, listening to staff and including staff in the discussion of department and system wide policies and procedures continue to not be done.