California Psychcare Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 5, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Dr Ali Sadeghi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Working with kids seeing them progress and getting to know the families" (in 6 reviews)

• "Great experience for people who want to work with kids/people with disabilities/social service setting" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "little to no support from rude supervisors" (in 5 reviews)

• "Low pay (compared to other companies, it is about 3-5 dollars less per hour for direct staff," (in 7 reviews)

"Behavior Instructor"

Current Employee - Behavior Therapist in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Therapist in Riverside, CA

I have been working at California Psychcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly admins, Program Coordinators and Management is awesome. Working with kids all day, making a difference in the community. I love working for CPC because this company shows you that they care about you as staff. I received two raises in less than a year, and I gained my certification as a BCAT (Board Certified Autism Tech) which CPC paid for. There is room for advancement, this is a growing field and will continue to grow for the foreseeable future. I’ve seen other BI’s complain about not getting sufficient hours, which I’m assuming is full time hours, but at CPC you are able to receive benefits working 30 hours a week and are considered full time. I am working 33 hours a week and am in the process of getting more hours around 40+, it all depends on your availability and your consumers’. It is possible to work 40hours a week on average, it’s just up to the BI, to find a schedule that works with themselves as well as the consumer. At my office, they are practically throwing hours at people, so it isn’t a problem getting hours since their are many cases that need staffing, it is the responsibility of the BI, to find a way to make their schedules work with the consumers and themselves in order to maximize their hours. Working for this company is also great clinical experience for those still in school or thinking about pursuing a graduate degree. Getting a graduate degree in this field is very valuable because of how fast this industry is going, and becoming a BCBA is huge as well. There is a very clear career path you can follow, just talk to your local PC or your clinical director which is usually a BCBA and they will guide you and mentor you through the process. At this moment in time, I’ve been working at CPC for a year and a half and I will be eligible for supervisory shadowing once I hit 2 years. I will be going back to school to get my Masters and will then be eligible for promotion to supervisor. Once my masters is complete I will be studying to get certification to get a BCBA, which is not only valuable here but in many different fields. Moral of the story is that the career path is clear and the opportunity is definitely there, especially for males because this is a female dominated field. My office only has 1 male supervisor compares to like 15+ female ones, literally everyone in the office besides some direct staff members are females, which means this field is wide open for men to enter, because their are certain consumers who’s behaviors are simply to intense for the average female to contain (not being sexist in anyway but just referring to my experiences). This being said, I’ve been encouraged by my office manager and several supervisors to continue in this field and I have decided I will, and will be going back to school in the fall. I know things differ from office to office, so i wouldn’t judge the company as a whole because of one offices’ inability to hire adequate management.

Cons

Driving from case to case is time consuming and wears down on your vehicle. Would not recommend using a new car for this position because if you’re working a lot of cases you will be driving close to 100miles a day. Cancellations can be annoying and is a big deterrent for many in this field in addition to the driving. You have to understand that this is part of the industry though, and if you are placed on a case where the family is constantly cancelling you can always asked to be removed from the case, I did and I got put on a new case immediately. Getting full time hours can be tricky, but is possible if you plan your sessions the right way. Program Coordinators sometimes don’t come out for months at a time due to their workload, and it can feel at times that you’re on your own. However, I always take that opportunity to run maintenance goals or come up with things that will help the consumer on my own. Dealing with families sometimes can be difficult. There are a few types of families you will deal with in this field,: those that care a lot and have a strong desire to be actively involved in your services, those who are going to be very skeptical and judge mental of everything you do and will most likely give you criticism for doing your job, or those who simply don’t care and pretty much leave you alone with their kid and don’t participate. The last two scenarios can be stressful to be in especially when you are just trying to do your job or the family isn’t applying what you are trying to implement into their child. However, a good piece of advice I got from one of my superiors was that “you can only help as much as the family is willing to allow you to” and also that if they really wanted to see progress they would take it upon themselves to reinforce what you are implementing during session. Being direct staff can be taxing mentally, but that is why I’m aiming to be in a supervisory position so that I can come up with my own programs and continue to grow in the field.

Advice to Management

I think it should be required that PC’s make it out every month at least. Besides that, nothing management at my office is great!

2. "Behavior Interventionist"

Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at California Psychcare part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+Great experience for people who want to work with kids/people with disabilities/social service setting.
    +Compensates well.
    +Great job for college students.
    +Teaches you how to work with different types of families.
    +Personally, this company gave me a chance when other companies did not.
    +Room for advancement.

Cons

-The drive from client to client and only being in the home for a short amount of time, the wear and tear on your car should be considered when applying for this job.
    -In a way, you somewhat are thrown into the job. Yes, there is training, a test you need to take, and shadowing hours...but I still felt unprepared. Obviously, you won't know what a job is like without doing the actual work, but I still felt unprepared nonetheless.
    -Not enough hands-on training at this job.
    -Some supervisors are somewhat unresponsive to texts until a problem because bigger...then they ask you why you didn't notify them of the problem earlier...
    -Many people can slip through the cracks, especially if this is their first job working with children/kids with disabilities.

3. "Associate Clinical Supervisor"

I worked at California Psychcare (Less than a year)

Pros

Management cares and provides support to their staff. Great place to gain experience and learn from some really knowledgeable staff.

Cons

You can have a very large caseload that can cover a large part of the county. This requires a lot of driving and can be frustrating when consumers cancel last minute. Also, you have to work a lot of hours in order to actually be able to meet your billable hours.

4. "Hard work but great learning experience"

I worked at California Psychcare part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The experience you will gain from working with children of all abilities and backgrounds. The parents and families that you work with are usually very helpful and understanding as well as willing to learn.

Cons

Not having electronic timing system and scheduling was really difficult to manage sometimes. Also driving my own car and having an inconsistent schedule

Advice to Management

get an electronic time management and scheduling system

5. "Part-Time Role"

I worked at California Psychcare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rewarding experience working with kids & families.

Cons

High turnover rate. Little to no opportunities for advancement unless you are a supervisor.

6. "Experience"

Current Employee - Behavior Specialist in Monterey Park, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Specialist in Monterey Park, CA

I have been working at California Psychcare part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The families and children you work with encourage you to continue working.
    The training provided are great.

Cons

1. Pay is no good; minimal to no raise.
    2.Mileage compensation is not worth it unless you don't mind driving around, however, your car will take a toll.
    3. Many times you have to go buy materials (toys/colors) for your kids, which can get expensive as the company does not provide any.
    4. The monthly allowance for using your personal phone is ridiculous considering you use it on a daily basis.
    5.Lack of support and communication from most supervisors.
    6. Some supervisors will not take responsibility for their errors with the families, which can have a negative effect on how the family sees you.
    7. There is NO sick pay or Vacation for staff. I have been there both as a part time and full time and not once did I get paid sick or vacation time.
    8. They make it impossible to go on PTO, and if you do you must make up all the hours you missed no matter how.
    9. No lunch or breaks.
    10. If families cancel you will NOT get paid even if its last minute and you're basically already there.
    11. Please note that their payroll setup is so bad. Even when you submit everything on time it takes weeks if not a month or so to receive payment for one pay period, and they will try to blame you for it.

Advice to Management

Please recognize your staff. They may not be at a supervisors level, but they do most if not all the work, supervisor simply write the report. If this is the case then compensate them for their work, they put themselves through school to get paid well yet are making at most $3 to $4 more then the minimum.

7. "Meh"

Former Employee - Behavior Technician in Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Technician in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at California Psychcare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The interview and hiring process was simple and easy.

Cons

Difficult to coordinate with supervisors. High turn over and highly variable consumer charts as a result. Some of the upper management is rude.

Advice to Management

Your employees success is your success - support your employees and be open and available to answer questions.

8. "Great learning opportunities in ABA!"

Current Employee - Behavior Therapist in Monterey Park, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Therapist in Monterey Park, CA

I have been working at California Psychcare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is great from my experience. The supervisors are supportive and helpful.

Cons

The pay could be better for this type or work.

9. "Great Management"

Former Employee - Behavior Therapist in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Therapist in Valencia, CA

I worked at California Psychcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved my coworkers and management staff

Cons

hours vary, if client cancels you don't get paid

10. "behavior Instructor"

I have been working at California Psychcare part-time

Pros

Seeing the progress of the clients.

Cons

The hours can be very inconsistent.