California Psychcare Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr Ali Sadeghi

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay (compared to other companies, it is about 3-5 dollars less per hour for direct staff, (in 8 reviews)

• little to no support from rude supervisors (in 5 reviews)

"Good"

Current Employee - ABA Therapist in Palmdale, CA
    Current Employee - ABA Therapist in Palmdale, CA

I have been working at California Psychcare part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with kids seeing them progress and getting to know the families. Learning the ways they learn and the learning new ways to help them improve.

Cons

The driving and not getting fully paid for all your miles. Not always having a supervisor around when needed because they have to many cases or office paperwork to do.

2. "Love the kids, not the company"

Current Employee - Direct Staff - Behavior Interventionist in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Direct Staff - Behavior Interventionist in Riverside, CA

I have been working at California Psychcare part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with some wonderful families.

You get to make a difference in their lives.

Flexible schedule as long as you are available in after-school hours.

Easy to work and go to school at the same time with good time management

Cons

Low pay (compared to other companies, it is about 3-5 dollars less per hour for direct staff, $10-20,000 less per year for supervisors/program coordinators)

Few hours for most staff members. ~10-15 per week

Poor communication from Director and some supervisors.

Overworked program coordinators lead to low returns on new material and guidance. I have been working on only maintenance activities with several kiddos for months now.

No paid time off (except government mandated minimum sick pay)

Made to feel guilty when PARENTS cancel session and you don't want to give up your days off to do makeup sessions.

Office only cares about the bottom line - profit.

There is a lot of pressure to have underlings be punctual and "work with urgency" but it takes upper-management weeks or more to even reply to emails. Granted they could be just as overworked but something has to give somewhere.

Advice to Management

Communicate better. Don't overburden your program coordinators. Don't make promises and then hang someone out to dry.

"Behavioral Therapist review"

Former Employee - Behavior Therapist in Monterey Park, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Therapist in Monterey Park, CA

I worked at California Psychcare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to make a positive impact on peoples lives on a daily basis.

Cons

- Feel like you are alone.
    - No real room for growth unless you sign on with their partnered college of Masters in Pysch.
    - Still uses paper and faxing for everything from notes, charting, to employee time sheets.

Advice to Management

Start being more open to using technology as it will make things more efficient and help therapist better communicate with supervisors as well as streamline the payment process.

Look into NightingGale App! would really make a huge difference.

"Not What You Expected..."

Current Employee - Tutor in Mission Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Mission Viejo, CA

I have been working at California Psychcare part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The families you work with are great! They are very appreciative.
    - You get to help kids!

Cons

- Don't expect to get paid on time! I have turned in my time sheets on multiple occasions on time and they claim they never received it.
    - They make you drive to the office one a month for an hour-n-half meeting! Which they only pay you at minimum wage. Most of the employees live 10+ miles from the office. OH and they also pay you minimum wage for trainings.
    - Their raise system is a joke! You get a 25 cent raise after working a certain amount of hours.
    - If you are lucky you will get 20 hours a week.
    - They for sure choose favorites! If you are not their favorite don't expect any hours!
    - It puts major wear and tear into your car! You drive 10+ miles for a 2 hour session? Really?

Advice to Management

- Get a new payroll team!

6. "False Claims"

Current Employee - Behavior Instructor
    Current Employee - Behavior Instructor

I have been working at California Psychcare part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the kids and seeing their progress

Cons

- Lack or no supervison
    - Driving al lot
    - No fixed hours
    - Lack of training and people actually taking the time to explain the producures of the complicated process of the company
    - Low pay
    - 16 hours of unpaid training.

When you have to spend a whole week of your time in "training", it should be paid, as you wasted your time and money( gas) in arrived at the office. And if you failed the so called test with less than 90%, what is the point.

It took me 2 weeks to get my shadowing hours arranged, because e-mail and phone called was not deemed as important. I had to wait 45 mns of my time in the field office to be finally seen to arranged my shadowing hours, while the rest of the class had already had their shadowing hours done.

Then it took them 1 month to schedule a consumer for me, even when they claim that they need a lot of behavior instructors and are always rolling in the newbies in the offices for interviews and training. Then when my consumer got dropped, It took them 3 weeks to finally get me another consumer.

When I actually entered the field, I discovered how little I was prepared and train for this. No support from supervisor or field office. You basically had to wing and keep the families happy.

They claim that they have so many cases and consumers, and that you can get so many hours. But when you actually want more hours, there are none.

Advice to Management

Provide paid training, and adept supervisors who know how to train properly and make sure your staff knows what is doing.

Benefits, any really for either part-time or full time, not this must work 30 hrs for more 3 months crap to get medical benefit.

7. "It can be great (look at my post for tips)"

Current Employee - Behavioral Instructor (QAS Paraprofessional) in Monterey Park, CA

I have been working at California Psychcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-You can get full time hours, just need to work with your scheduler
    -pay is competitive so in order to get better pay rate you need to come with some sort of experience and if you are bilingual, it's a plus.
    -you can do more shadowing hours beyond the 6-10 hours you do before starting a case

Cons

-driving can be a drag, especially wth traffice
    -cancellations occur (you can reschedule or ask for less session times
    -supervisors can be decent and some can seem all over the place.

"The Good Ol' Bait and Switch"

Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist
    Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist

I worked at California Psychcare part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro is the families you meet. All of them are wonderfully kind, helpful (in their own way) and supportive of the process.

Cons

They practice the good ol' bait and switch by advertising that they have full-time hours for "behavior interventionists". They can only offer up to 38 hours and their qualifier for receiving insurance is if you've worked roughly 200 hours in 2 months. With cases frequently cancelling, shift changes, and safety/staff meetings it's impossible to meet this requirement.

They only pay for mileage if your case is within an hour of the next. If you have to drive over an hour to your first job you will not get paid mileage. I've had people shadow me upset by this rule as they had to travel well over 40 miles to get to their first shift. You go through gas so quickly on this job that to be only received compensation for mileage between shifts (with no guarantee that your schedule will be consistent) is insulting.

They are ripping off the families by not offering quality instructors. Our training sessions were nothing short of a joke. It's 6 hours after first being hired with little to no depth behind it (just rapid fire information you're automatically expected to get) and unless you're majoring in ABA a lot of this will fly over your head. They don't have a company hired professional come in and teach new-hires but rather inexperienced supervisors who either teach the wrong information or don't teach us all of the information due to time restrictions.

Again, the quality of the behavioral interventionists they hire is an insult to the families who save up and hope that this company will help their kids. I say this as someone who worked there. I never felt like I was trained properly and most supervisors will leave you out in the cold. I discovered that only 1 where I worked was attentive and helpful. When you can't get a hold of your supervisors because you need to make a necessary change to the case (or the supervisor is super flaky) it ends up hurting the family and doing a disservice to them.

Advice to Management

Be honest about the type of work you provide. If it's part-time just say it's part-time. If you're going to offer full-time actually offer it and not have some ridiculous qualifier to receive benefits.

Hire people who are majoring/majored in ABA. They obviously have more of a learning curve than people who are unfamiliar with. This helps the family more and benefits the kids.

Properly train your new hires. 6 hours is not enough. Hire a trained professional employed by the company (and not a supervisor). Someone who does this type of job for a living and extend training sessions to 2 days of 6 hours. It will help loads and you'll get less complaints from parents that their instructors aren't inexperienced and less texts between new employees and supervisors asking for more guidance.

Limit how many employees per supervisor they are. When you have 15+ cases to supervise all over the county it can be incredibly overwhelming. We as employees, feel that stress and are often impacted by it the most and results in low progress with our cases. Hire more quality supervisors, limit how many cases each have and you'll notice a difference in progress.

"Billing>Quality of Service .. Use of "therapist" is a scam"

Former Employee - Therapist in Palmdale, CA
    Former Employee - Therapist in Palmdale, CA

I worked at California Psychcare part-time

Pros

It is a job..never meant to be a living source ....smh..........

Cons

ABA companies care about fulfilling billing hours and not ensuring the best health care they can. Yes the companies must bill regional center to survive but you are negligent.

You are letting high school kids now work with the spectrum. The more you lower your standards of education the more attention you will eventually cause yourselves.

BCBA's and supervisors should be helping with the kids and not doing billing all day or constantly training new staff. Quit scavenging on college graduates and offer your families better service. Every time a kid takes he a step, he takes two more back because you refuse to pay reasonably. In the job market you are usually judged by how good you at your job and not how much education you can pay for.

The head of Aba companies are doctors who should be shamed about lying during their Hippocratic oaths. If you want to run a businesses, try Amazon. Eventually legislation will realize what is going on, I hope. Your use of the word Therapist is a Scam, you are trolling families.

Advice to Management

If you care about the kids talk to ownership/

"Moderate ABA Agency - Program Coordinator"

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at California Psychcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many offices located around Los Angeles and supervision for your BCBA hours are incorporated into the position.

Cons

Poor management and lack of resources

Advice to Management

Offer tuition reimbursement for BCBA programs and on going training in the most up to date interventions.

"Not the job I imagined"

Current Employee - Behavior Therapist in Monterey Park, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Therapist in Monterey Park, CA

I have been working at California Psychcare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- seeing the kids you are working with progress

Cons

- little to no support from rude supervisors
    - low pay
    - pay has been delayed multiple times
    - bad staff management and poor schedules
    - LOTS of driving

Advice to Management

Give your instructors more support and invest more time training them. Supervisors and pcs should be encouraged to show more appreciation towards instructors and show up to session when it is needed.