California Psychcare Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 21, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Dr Ali Sadeghi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Working with kids seeing them progress and getting to know the families" (in 4 reviews)

• "Great experience for people who want to work with kids/people with disabilities/social service setting" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "little to no support from rude supervisors" (in 5 reviews)

• "Low pay (compared to other companies, it is about 3-5 dollars less per hour for direct staff," (in 7 reviews)

"Behavior Instructor"

Current Employee - Behavior Therapist in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Therapist in Riverside, CA

I have been working at California Psychcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly admins, Program Coordinators and Management is awesome. Working with kids all day, making a difference in the community. I love working for CPC because this company shows you that they care about you as staff. I received two raises in less than a year, and I gained my certification as a BCAT (Board Certified Autism Tech) which CPC paid for. There is room for advancement, this is a growing field and will continue to grow for the foreseeable future. I’ve seen other BI’s complain about not getting sufficient hours, which I’m assuming is full time hours, but at CPC you are able to receive benefits working 30 hours a week and are considered full time. I am working 33 hours a week and am in the process of getting more hours around 40+, it all depends on your availability and your consumers’. It is possible to work 40hours a week on average, it’s just up to the BI, to find a schedule that works with themselves as well as the consumer. At my office, they are practically throwing hours at people, so it isn’t a problem getting hours since their are many cases that need staffing, it is the responsibility of the BI, to find a way to make their schedules work with the consumers and themselves in order to maximize their hours. Working for this company is also great clinical experience for those still in school or thinking about pursuing a graduate degree. Getting a graduate degree in this field is very valuable because of how fast this industry is going, and becoming a BCBA is huge as well. There is a very clear career path you can follow, just talk to your local PC or your clinical director which is usually a BCBA and they will guide you and mentor you through the process. At this moment in time, I’ve been working at CPC for a year and a half and I will be eligible for supervisory shadowing once I hit 2 years. I will be going back to school to get my Masters and will then be eligible for promotion to supervisor. Once my masters is complete I will be studying to get certification to get a BCBA, which is not only valuable here but in many different fields. Moral of the story is that the career path is clear and the opportunity is definitely there, especially for males because this is a female dominated field. My office only has 1 male supervisor compares to like 15+ female ones, literally everyone in the office besides some direct staff members are females, which means this field is wide open for men to enter, because their are certain consumers who’s behaviors are simply to intense for the average female to contain (not being sexist in anyway but just referring to my experiences). This being said, I’ve been encouraged by my office manager and several supervisors to continue in this field and I have decided I will, and will be going back to school in the fall. I know things differ from office to office, so i wouldn’t judge the company as a whole because of one offices’ inability to hire adequate management.

Cons

Driving from case to case is time consuming and wears down on your vehicle. Would not recommend using a new car for this position because if you’re working a lot of cases you will be driving close to 100miles a day. Cancellations can be annoying and is a big deterrent for many in this field in addition to the driving. You have to understand that this is part of the industry though, and if you are placed on a case where the family is constantly cancelling you can always asked to be removed from the case, I did and I got put on a new case immediately. Getting full time hours can be tricky, but is possible if you plan your sessions the right way. Program Coordinators sometimes don’t come out for months at a time due to their workload, and it can feel at times that you’re on your own. However, I always take that opportunity to run maintenance goals or come up with things that will help the consumer on my own. Dealing with families sometimes can be difficult. There are a few types of families you will deal with in this field,: those that care a lot and have a strong desire to be actively involved in your services, those who are going to be very skeptical and judge mental of everything you do and will most likely give you criticism for doing your job, or those who simply don’t care and pretty much leave you alone with their kid and don’t participate. The last two scenarios can be stressful to be in especially when you are just trying to do your job or the family isn’t applying what you are trying to implement into their child. However, a good piece of advice I got from one of my superiors was that “you can only help as much as the family is willing to allow you to” and also that if they really wanted to see progress they would take it upon themselves to reinforce what you are implementing during session. Being direct staff can be taxing mentally, but that is why I’m aiming to be in a supervisory position so that I can come up with my own programs and continue to grow in the field.

Advice to Management

I think it should be required that PC’s make it out every month at least. Besides that, nothing management at my office is great!

2. "Aba therapist"

Former Employee - ABA Therapist in Camarillo, CA
    Former Employee - ABA Therapist in Camarillo, CA

I worked at California Psychcare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working here! Some supervisors had great communication with me, always gave suggestions on how to improve. Allows flexible schedules.

Cons

Some supervisors were not as helpful as others with instructions on how to run certain programs

Advice to Management

Have all supervisors give details instructions on how they would like programs to be run. Giving staff proper materials for more group activities to build social inclusion in the families home.

3. "Behavioral Therapist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Van Nuys, CA

I have been working at California Psychcare part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Provide flexible work hours, which is good for students or families.

Cons

Extremely difficult to obtain any benefits and hours are not reliable.

4. "Employees Matter"

I have been working at California Psychcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*dedicated to helping the kids and their families
    *coordination of care very important

Cons

*employees are overworked for very little
    *no 401K
    *health insurance not the best

5. "Behavior Therapist"

I worked at California Psychcare part-time

Pros

CPC provided comprehensive training prior to staff working in the field. Good entry level position that helped me gain experience in working with children with Austism.

Cons

High turnover of supervisors. There were some clients of mine that were assigned multiple supervisors due to the high turnover rate, which was difficult for me as the therapist to have to get my supervisor up to speed on the client that I was working with.

6. "Adequate"

I have been working at California Psychcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity for advancement, very clique-y

Cons

Micromanagement, terrible benefits, lack of trust, lack of accountability, no authority given to middle-tier management, no follow-through, constantly feeling as though you're on-call, lack of boundaries

7. "Behavioral Instructor"

Former Employee - Behavior Therapist in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Therapist in Riverside, CA

I worked at California Psychcare part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to help kids with autism and better their lives.

Cons

Poor communication between direct workers and management, and very low pay

Advice to Management

Talk to you direct staff

"Behavior Interventionist"

Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at California Psychcare part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+Great experience for people who want to work with kids/people with disabilities/social service setting.
    +Compensates well.
    +Great job for college students.
    +Teaches you how to work with different types of families.
    +Personally, this company gave me a chance when other companies did not.
    +Room for advancement.

Cons

-The drive from client to client and only being in the home for a short amount of time, the wear and tear on your car should be considered when applying for this job.
    -In a way, you somewhat are thrown into the job. Yes, there is training, a test you need to take, and shadowing hours...but I still felt unprepared. Obviously, you won't know what a job is like without doing the actual work, but I still felt unprepared nonetheless.
    -Not enough hands-on training at this job.
    -Some supervisors are somewhat unresponsive to texts until a problem because bigger...then they ask you why you didn't notify them of the problem earlier...
    -Many people can slip through the cracks, especially if this is their first job working with children/kids with disabilities.

9. "Associate Clinical Supervisor"

I worked at California Psychcare (Less than a year)

Pros

Management cares and provides support to their staff. Great place to gain experience and learn from some really knowledgeable staff.

Cons

You can have a very large caseload that can cover a large part of the county. This requires a lot of driving and can be frustrating when consumers cancel last minute. Also, you have to work a lot of hours in order to actually be able to meet your billable hours.

10. "Hard work but great learning experience"

I worked at California Psychcare part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The experience you will gain from working with children of all abilities and backgrounds. The parents and families that you work with are usually very helpful and understanding as well as willing to learn.

Cons

Not having electronic timing system and scheduling was really difficult to manage sometimes. Also driving my own car and having an inconsistent schedule

Advice to Management

get an electronic time management and scheduling system