California Public Utilities Commission Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Tim Sullivan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good People, good work, bureaucracy"

I have been working at California Public Utilities Commission full-time

Pros

Smart coworkers and interesting work

Cons

Sometimes hamstrung by management desires

2. "Everythign is karmic, even at the Commission."

Former Employee - Legal Support Supervisor /Agenda Clerk of the Commission in San Francisco, CA

I worked at California Public Utilities Commission full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A gateway into the Pandora's box, embracing the pros and the cons of government administrative utility regulation in the public eye, under scrutiny, but still given the opportunity to learn, and acquire the knowledge, skills and abilities from adaptive behaviors, adaptive mannerisms and adaptive leadership to leave the Commission with my head held high

Cons

The workload for the unit I oversaw was superfluously increasing as time passed by, with more proposed decisions from the Administrative Law Judg3es (ALJs) and less STAR Secretaries (Support to ALJ Requests( to take on the assignment of taking a PD from its baby stages, and guide it through its fruition to a Final Decision.

Advice to Management

Give my former STAR secretaries Range B or reclassify the positions of Legal Secretaries to Judicial Secretaries II or Judicial Assistant.

3. "The only Legal Support Supervisor in the entire CPUC statewide."

Former Employee - Legal Support Supervisor I in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Support Supervisor I in San Francisco, CA

I worked at California Public Utilities Commission (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gain casts amount of knowledge regarding administrative law with an emphasis on utility regulation and government administration. I was the best Agenda Clerk for Public Voting Meetings where I listened to deliberative process privilege discussions amongst a quorum of Commissioners at the dais.

Cons

Very stressful environment. Hard to oversee the flow and operations of the initiating unit that is the basis of the foundation for Commission decisions.

Not enough secretaries to support 40+ Administrative Law Judges in addition to Commissioners and the Commission's Intervenor Compensation Program.

Advice to Management

Give the STAR Unit Range B or reclassify them as Judicial Assistants and

4. "PUC is an interesting energy agency"

I worked at California Public Utilities Commission full-time

Pros

interesting work, some flexibility, some training

Cons

political agency, difficult for analysts to promote in place

5. "intern"

Pros

good to learn policy stuff

Cons

slow movement in the government agency

6. "Great place to start a career in clean energy and utilities"

Former Employee - Public Utilities Regulatory Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Public Utilities Regulatory Analyst in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Great experience for an entry-level job
    - You get paid to learn about relevant, innovative industries
    - Good work/life balance and benefits
    - If you get a good supervisor, it is a great place to network and grow your career

Cons

- Salary is highly uncompetitive in the Bay Area
    - Many of the higher ranking employees don't work as hard as the newer employees since they can't get fired. They stick around though since their pension continues to grow.
    - The ladder for growth becomes very flat after you reach the PURA III rank

Advice to Management

Higher salaries and merit-based promotions (unfortunately management has little control over this as these issues are dealt with by HR and legislators at the state level)

7. "Great place to begin your career!"

I worked at California Public Utilities Commission full-time

Pros

Lots of responsibility and opportunities to make a positive impact. It's a great environmental organization doing very important work for the people of California

Cons

Politics can heavily influence decisions. Sometimes the obvious best decision is not pursued because it is unfavorable to the public or seen as politically risky.

Advice to Management

I think the right of the current governor to appoint and change the commission president at any moment is a bad call. It forces the commissioners (especially the president) to be extremely conservative to avoid losing the position. It should be a set term appointment.

8. "Learning & Development; Human Resources"

Former Employee - Training Specialist I in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Training Specialist I in San Francisco, CA

I worked at California Public Utilities Commission full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, holidays, vacation, sick leave. Friendly All Staff meetings in Auditorium provides a sense of community. Lynda.com access for free. Stable gov. agency.

Cons

Politically dominated, stealth behaviors. Conflict habituated relationships with Public, PGE, Employees vs Supervisor wars. Can gaslight U on a dime. Union strapped. 10 month tenure-resigned.

Advice to Management

Trust employees to stay out of your business when you stay out of theirs. They can serve purpose with dignity if authority shifts to be really responsible for regulating safety, water, energy, transport, etc.

"Deeply Troubled Agency"

Current Employee - Regulatory Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Regulatory Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at California Public Utilities Commission (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is possible that you will get to work on interesting, important projects.

Cons

The agency is trying to repair its reputation after the 2010 San Bruno gas pipeline explosions (which it really ought to be held responsible for, after failing to notice what was going on at PG&E) and the scandal concerning staff's inappropriate communications with the industry. Sadly, there is still a high degree of unethical behavior and unprofessionalism, and people are only held accountable if they are unpopular.

The staff are severely underpaid with respect to comparable government jobs in San Francisco and Sacramento.

The Commission President runs the agency down in the media, contributing to very low morale.

There are many staff, including managers, who have retired in place.

Advice to Management

Start hiring competent managers.

10. "CPUC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at California Public Utilities Commission full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As much opportunity as you are willing and able to take.
    Fun smart people abound.

Cons

Highly politicized environment in every sense of the word.
    Poor pay.
    Bureaucratic (obviously).

Advice to Management

Wouldn't know where to begin.