California State Board of Equalization Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Caroline Cabias

Pros
  • Great work life balance and excellent benefits (in 16 reviews)

• There's no overtime unless it's those peak months (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • in tax revenues and the TAX AUDITOR bring in at least 30X their salary in TAX evasion (in 4 reviews)

• There can be high turnover of members (in 3 reviews)

"Business Taxes Specialist"

Current Employee - Business Taxes Specialist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California State Board of Equalization full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work life balance and excellent benefits.

Cons

No cons. I love working for the Board.

Advice to Management

Keep up the support.

"Great experience"

Current Employee - Tax Auditore in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Auditore in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at California State Board of Equalization full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn a lot on small business.

Cons

Not enough room for a promotion unless you are close to management.

Advice to Management

I do not think they can do much either

3. "Business Taxes Representative"

Current Employee - Business Taxes Representative in Norwalk, CA
    Current Employee - Business Taxes Representative in Norwalk, CA

I have been working at California State Board of Equalization (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is great.

Cons

Lack of career advancement. No room for growth due due to budget.

4. "Associate tax auditor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at California State Board of Equalization full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Felixible work schedule, knowledgeable people, and pension plan. 10 hour a month vacation after 3 years

Cons

No advancement after Associate Tax auditor position.

Advice to Management

more position openings after ATA level if possible. Not something that management can do a lot on but try and let employee knows

5. "Auditor of various business taxes."

Current Employee - Business Taxes Specialist in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Great work life balance. Great Benefits. Retirement pension. Add 30-40k in benefits to salary for total pay. Get all major holidays off.

Cons

No overtime offered. Not too many cons that I can share. This job provides for very comfortable living. I recommend working here.

Advice to Management

Hire people with great attitudes that show enthusiasm.

6. "Student Tax Technician Assistant"

Former Employee - Student Tax Technician in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Student Tax Technician in San Francisco, CA

I worked at California State Board of Equalization (More than a year)

Pros

able to get off on time

Cons

very low pay for Tax Technician

"Tax Technician I"

Former Employee - Tax Tech I in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Tax Tech I in Sacramento, CA

I worked at California State Board of Equalization full-time

Pros

State benefits are better than most companies.

Learned a lot on how to deal with people - you get a lot of angry phone calls and learned how to provide customer service as well as helping people get through their tax returns or just sales and use tax.

Young, friendly, people - good group of people, I felt I could relate to everyone there and everyone understands the nature of the work.

There's no overtime unless it's those peak months. And even then, it's a state job so if you stay late, you're rocking the boat so don't rock the boat.

I learned a lot what bad management vs. good management looks like.

State job - it's a state job, what do you expect? Do your job and get paid - get past probation and as long as you show up and take phone calls, you'll get paid.

Beats working at some retail stores.

Cons

It's a call center job. There's 5 weeks of training when you first start and then it's a long process to get past probation with 3 meetings that you have to meet expectations or surpass it. They hold that probation in your face to keep you in line or else they prolong your probation. Because we're at a job that doesn't require a college education, there's a reason why we can't get other jobs and of course we're dependent on this job to pay rent so it's a miserable place to work. So if you're in that situation - don't argue, keep your head down, volunteer for hours if they offer, help out other employees, don't ask questions that make more trouble, and keep on looking for other jobs in the state.

They say that you can get into a Business Tax Representative position but that's almost impossible since most of the time they hire from within and it's the favorite that gets it - the one who keeps his head down and follows orders - that up and coming young gun. Because of budget cuts, there are so few positions that open up except for TT1 and you have to wonder why and it's because of the high turnover. People who can't cut the call center environment, they leave within 3 months - those are the lucky ones.

Also, you can only take vacations in the non-peak months which are months where tax returns aren't due. So no January, July, October vacations which isn't too bad for some but that means no days off in those months.

I recommend taking the Office Technician exams and applying for those jobs because a TT1 is essentially a program technician which is pretty low on the ladder.

It's a strict schedule - makes sense since it's a call center but you have to plan your bathroom breaks well or else it's over for you. There's 2 - 15 minute breaks before 12. And depending on your schedule, you can have an hour lunch or half hour lunch then 2 more 15 minute breaks after lunch and you're done for the day. But, you can't take breaks whenever you want and every day, you might have a different schedule.

After work, especially during peak months, you don't want to talk to anyone for at least an hour.

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage your employees. Get to know your employees who work for you. Don't use their probation as a tool to bend people to your will - you're taking advantage of their situation.

Just because you made it to a higher position doesn't mean the lower employees are crap - don't forget your roots and where you started.

"Horrible Place to Work For anybody Young and Hard Working"

Current Employee - Tax Auditor in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Auditor in Oakland, CA

I have been working at California State Board of Equalization full-time

Pros

The people you meet. They are nice and friendly. They will teach you a lot and you will pick up a lot. After a year or two on the job, you basically learned everything sales and use tax. A lot work schedule flexibility such as telework and 80/9. so it is good if you have a family and money and career is not your goal..

For those who are aiming for CPA and needed the time to study.

WORK LIFE Balance is a 5 Star. The only bring spot of BOE!!!

Cons

There are few promotion opportunities in the district offices because there are always budget issues. Nobody leave except the young and hard working type of worker because of promotion issues. The pay is poor especially for those living in high cost area such as LA area and Bay Area. It really bring the morale down in the office. You be paying 70% of your NET PAY on RENTS alone.

In regards to the new contract negotiation, it is basically not going to change much for those living in high cost area because most of the union members are in Sacramento and union don't give a damn about those living in high cost area because they wanted a raise for everybody not just a small group living in high cost area.

Supervisors cannot do anything about the limited promotion even if the District Administrator wanted more opportunity for promotion. It is State Government, the NO LAYOFFS, NO PROMOTION. There is always a BUDGET. BUDGET THIS, BUDGET THAT. Even thought the BOE brings in BILLIONS $$$ in tax revenues and the TAX AUDITOR bring in at least 30X their salary in TAX evasion.

Some supervisors are horrible too, micromanagement, and others want to keep staffs from leaving by telling them there are promotions coming up and keep your hopes up that you be next for the promotion. BUT what they didn't tell you was some of the promotions will be filled with transfer from other district offices staffs, and you be competing with a DOZEN people with a lot more experience than you for 1 position. And guess What they will give the opportunity to the more experienced hard working staff.

In the office where I was working, out of the 15 new hired over 2 years. Only 2 stayed after 2 years, many of them moved on to Private, Federal, City, or County. The 2 stayed because they had other commitments, but they are looking to move on as well.

I would give negative star for Career Opportunities if I can...
    I would give negative star for Compensation and Benefits as well if I can...

Advice to Management

Don't keep telling staff to improve their work so they have a promotion opportunity and then NOTHING Comes from it. DON'T PUT THE CARROT OUT WHEN YOU ONLY GOING TO TAKE IT AWAY.

Tell Potential Hires the TRUTH ABOUT STATE GOVERNMENT!!!. YOU BE POOR and the TURNOVER is like 80% to 90% for Young Staff and those STRIVING for a career. This is not a place for them.

I would GIVE 1 Star for management just because they can DO LITTLE to help staff out in their career opportunities within the BOE. DON'T tell them to improve,

"Tax Auditor"

Current Employee - Tax Auditor I in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Auditor I in Irvine, CA

Pros

Work-life balance is awesome. There is on- going training which is great to refresh tax laws and regulations.

Cons

Working for the state, the compensation isn't as competitive as a Tax Auditor, but there are negotiations to increase the pay, so I'm looking forward to that.

"Great employer, but with a need for improvement"

Current Employee - Tax Counsel III in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Counsel III in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, work is interesting and varied, good work/life balance, 80/9 and teleworking options, great benefits and vacation/sick time, rarely work weekend/evenings (like all legal work though, depends on workload and deadlines),

Cons

pay is low - even compared to other governments (city/federal/county), pay does not correlate to an employee's workload or work ethic (a few dead weight attorneys get paid substantially more than they should, due to their time with the state - and the state rarely lays people off, creating a culture of people being dead weight, and the weight falling on the shoulders of those who work hard and have a good work ethic - even if they are paid substantially less), support staff is a hit or miss (some are amazing and some have major attitudes and are constantly on facebook/the internet - again, goes to the state rarely laying off people and creating a culture of "so what - what will you do?" and the answer is, of course, nothing), some higher ups don't have good personal skills and don't know how to treat people with mutual respect (while other higher ups are amazing and great to work with - a hit or miss really).

Advice to Management

Take better steps to stop the dead weight culture that is rampant, as it creates a very low moral. Eventually, you will either lose the good employees to other employers, leaving you with the dead weight employees you didn't take steps to let go or address, or, even worse, the good employees will not see the point in having a good work ethic, and they too will become dead weight, creating a vicious circle.