Calix "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Calix Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated May 9, 2018

3.3
Calix  President and CEO Carl Russo
Carl Russo
Pros
Cons
  • "While work-life balance has improved, it remains a challenge(in 12 reviews)

• "Don't the upper management see that one of them is only protecting his (weak) friends while letting go talented engineers(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Challenging work but poor management"

I worked at Calix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This was a good place to work with good engineers and challenging work.

Cons

It is now poorly run by new upper management who are focused on just promoting themselves.

Advice to Management

Take care of the engineers. They are the ones who can make the product, you can only talk about it.

Calix2018-05-09

"A once good company going down in flames"

I have been working at Calix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Dog-friendly office - Occasional work from home - Great coworkers - Office perks - Good health care coverage - Break room provides endless coffee and drinks, fruit once a week. Now providing donuts and bagels some Fridays.

Cons

- No raises in 2 years - Sporadic, tiny bonuses - No job security--they're cutting valuable staff left and right with no plan for replacements or workload sensitivity. - No work/life balance. Meetings could be as early as 7am and as late as 9pm. New venture partnership with India company makes meetings during valuable family time a regular occurrence, and heavily east coast upper management means early meetings... for those on the east coast. - Weekend work is expected. - Marketing and sales promise the world, but there is little support for actually getting the promised deliveries to the customer. - They will work you to death and then ask that you work even harder.

Advice to Management

Stop with all the marketing speak about how great we are and how we're Calix 2.0 when all we see is the ship crashing and burning around us. Offices are closing and widespread layoffs leave everyone fearful and stressed, but we're expected to keep cheering for Calix all the way, and to just work harder with no reward for our dedication. I used to be proud to say I worked here, but now when people ask me where I... work, it's like I told them my dog died. "Oh you work at Calix? I heard things are really bad there."

Calix2018-04-12

"Working environment going downhill quickly"

Former Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in Petaluma, CA

I worked at Calix full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Interesting work. Good products. CEO always honest and on top of things in the past.

Cons

Too middle management heavy. Experienced engineers being replaced by outsourcing teams creates an environment where nobody is certain that their job will still be there in the next Quarter. Upper management went from a super aggressive hiring mode to outsourcing model instead. It appears Calix Board/Investors are looking at bottom line costs only and losing all the company expertise. This will create a huge... support hole in the future when all the knowledge base as been let go.

Advice to Management

Engineering expertise is being lost quickly. Outsourcing model may cost less but at what cost to future product support. Keep your engineering team. How will you do effective project code development without them?

Calix2018-03-02

"Management in Prof Svcs is a JOKE!"

I have been working at Calix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Talented pool of engineers, although their lives are ruined by awful managers.

Cons

Managenemt, including the senior folk are toying with engineers that work for them. With lay-offs happening since November 2017 we have seen the worst decisions being made especially in the Prof Svcs department, when it comes to whom to fire and whom to keep. Absolutely Ridiculuous!! Don't the upper management see that one of them is only protecting his (weak) friends while letting go talented engineers? Insane!!... Calix used to be much better than this.

Advice to Management

Pull up your socks. Put effort in your decisions. Start taking feedback from engineers regularly. Its not too far when the good engineers will leave you because they were not treated well. (unless you lay them off first). Its not even that hard, sire. Get in line.

Calix2018-02-21

"Excellent company which has lost its way"

I worked at Calix full-time

Pros

They have a solid installed based of mature products.

Cons

The latest revision of upper management has run the company into the ground. Now they are thinking they can outsource all product development and market their way out of their mess.

Advice to Management

No advice will work. They are living in a bubble of their own creation.

Calix2018-02-17

"Could be better"

Software Engineer in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at Calix for more than a year

Pros

Great product, interesting from an engineering standpoint

Cons

Upper management decisions do not make sense. have a clear path

Calix2018-01-11

"Good company but questionable future prospects"

I worked at Calix full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great product line and a large number of loyal customers. A core of good people still hanging on.

Cons

Stock bounces up and down at half its IPO price from 2010. Large number of small customers, but they don't spend enough to generate meaningful revenue growth. Bad upper management changes in the last few years, especially in HR, lead to departures of dedicated longtime employees and replacement with some mediocre performers. A lot of unhappiness in the workforce.

Advice to Management

Get the stock price moving north. Value the good employees you have left, or they will follow others out the door.

Calix2015-09-24

"Hits and misses"

I worked at Calix full-time

Pros

CEO has a good vision on where to drive the company. The engineering teams that I have worked with are hard working and very professional. Depending on the product team, work-life balance is good.

Cons

Recent shifts in HR policy regarding raises and other forms of additional compensation make it hard to justify staying with the company. Benefits are just so-so. Lots of shuffling and expanding in upper management make for instability.

Advice to Management

Stop bleeding yourselves of good engineers. At some point you're going to realize you can't make a good product without them.

Calix2015-08-07