Calix "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Calix Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Aug 31, 2019

3.3
Calix  President and CEO Carl Russo
Carl Russo
Pros
Cons
  • "While work-life balance has improved, it remains a challenge(in 12 reviews)

• "Don't the upper management see that one of them is only protecting his (weak) friends while letting go talented engineers(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Impact for the Taking"

in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Calix

Pros

What attracted me to Calix was the opportunity to have an impact and drive change. Thus far, I've felt empowered to bring forth new ideas and contribute and that's been inspiring. I feel supported in attending relevant conferences and in getting the resources I need to do my work well. I particularly appreciate that Calix supports Remote Workers. Much of the company is dispersed, yet everything falls into place.... It's nice to see that kind of trust from an employer. Work-life balance has been quite reasonable and time-off has never been an issue.

Cons

Since much of the company is dispersed, it's hard to cultivate a true sense of community. I feel in-tune to the team I work with regularly, but don't feel connected beyond that. However, I get that that's the trade-off when working remotely. Beyond that, my only gripe is that there are no healthy snacks.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people and the company / product will grow proportionally. Be open to new ideas and philosophies on how to do things. Lastly, make every employees feel that their voice is valued - that will only have a positive impact

Calix2016-11-18

"Great people"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Calix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots to learn Tons of smart people

Cons

Bad work / life balance. Leadership

Calix2019-08-21
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Calix is for motivated people that are comfortable with constant change and big challenges"

I have been working at Calix full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

1. We're on the verge of a significant breakthrough and being a leader of even a small part of that makes up for most of the negatives of constant disruption (both internally and externally). 2. Great sales team that partners well w/the rest of the business - including marketing. 3. Willing to take a difficult path to stand out in the often 'bland' world of communications service providers. 4. Calix has an... incredible foundation of customers that are helping fuel the global growth. 5. Flexible conditions, small but focused and collaborative teams, risk-takers.

Cons

1. No formal development focus for most employees. 2. While work-life balance has improved, it remains a challenge. 3. Need to streamline processes with so many new functions within Calix and eliminate overlaps between some roles

Calix2018-10-08

"A once good company going down in flames"

I have been working at Calix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Dog-friendly office - Occasional work from home - Great coworkers - Office perks - Good health care coverage - Break room provides endless coffee and drinks, fruit once a week. Now providing donuts and bagels some Fridays.

Cons

- No raises in 2 years - Sporadic, tiny bonuses - No job security--they're cutting valuable staff left and right with no plan for replacements or workload sensitivity. - No work/life balance. Meetings could be as early as 7am and as late as 9pm. New venture partnership with India company makes meetings during valuable family time a regular occurrence, and heavily east coast upper management means early meetings... for those on the east coast. - Weekend work is expected. - Marketing and sales promise the world, but there is little support for actually getting the promised deliveries to the customer. - They will work you to death and then ask that you work even harder.

Advice to Management

Stop with all the marketing speak about how great we are and how we're Calix 2.0 when all we see is the ship crashing and burning around us. Offices are closing and widespread layoffs leave everyone fearful and stressed, but we're expected to keep cheering for Calix all the way, and to just work harder with no reward for our dedication. I used to be proud to say I worked here, but now when people ask me where I... work, it's like I told them my dog died. "Oh you work at Calix? I heard things are really bad there."

Calix2018-04-12
  6. "You will put in the time!!!"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Calix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, 401K, healthcare, etc.

Cons

No work/life balance. They own you when you work for Calix. .

Advice to Management

Be better prepared the next time you take on services contract from Windstream and CenturyLink. I believe they have the right management in place currently but when I first started it was a rat race with no organization in the PMO and no guidance. You sank or swim.

Calix2018-02-12

"Easy going / Great pay & Benefits - Lacks direction"

I worked at Calix full-time

Pros

I was 100% telecommute which made for a great work/life balance for my particular position. Benefits and pay were great.

Cons

Lack of direction with the high turnover and many layoffs made working here stressful.

Calix2017-12-05

"Senior software engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Calix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good location to work in San jose

Cons

No work life balance. Consultants heavy work culture. There is no proper planning for the projects and people are always struggling to meet deadlines.There is lack of respect among team members and People are quite rude often. There is lot of micromanaging and no trust among the peers.The Calix culture seems to be missing .There is lot of politics among the team,as only the preferred members get the important... projects.

Advice to Management

Their is no transparency among the team.The managers don't know often what the team is doing. There are no one on one meetings with the manager .

Calix2017-04-27

"Opportunity to be Challenged and Succeed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Calix full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Calix is a company that gives their people the opportunity to succeed, and to expand their horizons both via new positions and new challenges within existing positions.

Cons

Work/life balance can be a challenge.

Calix2016-04-04

"Engineering"

in Petaluma, CA

I worked at Calix for more than 5 years

Pros

People, free sodas/coffee different locations. Great co-workers that share a passion. Badly Management does not care.

Cons

Work/Life Balance....Management. Lack of empowerment at the employee level. Loyalty at the management level

Advice to Management

Turn it over. It's time!!!

Calix2016-03-31

"Good place to work but..."

I have been working at Calix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Calix has decent benefits and growth potential.

Cons

Minimal work/life balance.

Calix2016-01-18