Callahan Creek Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 27, 2017

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chris Marshall

1. "Agency on the cusp of more great things."

I have been working at Callahan Creek full-time

Pros

Smart thinkers, culture, work-life balance, strong client relationships, hunger for growth & strong leadership team that listens.

Cons

Not a strong ad community in Lawrence.

2. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Director in Lawrence, KS

I have been working at Callahan Creek full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Passion for making, creating and our clients' success. Good people, great work-life balance and team work.

Cons

I can't think of a thing.

Sep 13, 2016 – Social Media Content Strategist

We're a community of thinkers and makers, and it's our people who make us great!

3. "Creative"

Former Employee - Creative in Lawrence, KS
    Former Employee - Creative in Lawrence, KS

Pros

Work life balance is great, awesome group of people, good clients.

Cons

Losing what callahan creek was built to represent and stand for.

Advice to Management

Stick to your down to earth roots.

Sep 13, 2016 – Social Media Content Strategist

Great advice here. We've got some deep roots in our 34 year tradition and we'll strive to honor them in everything we do.

"Amazing Experience; the Agency Environment Just a Perk!"

Former Intern - Copywriter in Lawrence, KS
    Former Intern - Copywriter in Lawrence, KS

I worked at Callahan Creek as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely loved my time as an intern at Callahan Creek. The environment is fast-paced, there is always plenty of work to do and everyone does their part to get things done. I felt welcomed into the company from day one (which also included a delicious lunch out at Free State Brewing Company - a client) to the last day (which featured a going away party for myself and the other interns). There were plenty of the standard agency perks, but the experience from the actual job is what really makes me sing praises for Callahan Creek. I say the agency environment is just a perk because I know a lot of people are looking for that environment, but don't necessarily get the good work experience, too. Callahan Creek has both!

Cons

None that I can think of!

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work!

"Very strong culture and desire for employee happiness"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrence, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrence, KS

Pros

Extremely flexible environment with highly talented people. An opportunity to contribute to projects regardless of longevity or experience. An environment of respect.

Cons

The company needs to invest in modern workflow technology and processes, still manages work and communicates like a small company.

Advice to Management

Take more risks, and have the courage to make decisions that are consistent with the company's values. Stop relying on consultants.

"Family Culture Nurtures Creativity and Business Development"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrence, KS

Pros

Superb family-like culture, happy hours every Friday, approachable upper management, extremely competent and helpful CEO, on-time delivery to client, great physical work space

Cons

client list is somewhat lacking, low compensation compared to industry average, too much down time for interns

"Great atmosphere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrence, KS

Pros

Great family feel, good place to go if you want lots of community building activities. The location is about perfect in town, the facilities are creative and fun.

Cons

If you're looking for a place to flex your creative muscle, this ain't it. Don't get me wrong, they do great work, when they're given the chance, but quite often they're just following orders, not innovating.

8. "Flexibility and Fun"

I worked at Callahan Creek full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere and culture, solid client roster, awesome people

Cons

Some limitations in marketing expertise or offerings due to size, can't always offer competitive salaries against KC market

"Media Planner"

I worked at Callahan Creek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of great people use to work at Callahan Creek. Previous ownership took care of employees with nice bonuses.

Cons

Current management is not very strong. Agency has high turnover due to bad management. Agency is in a small town and it is hard for them to win new business. They are a niche agency that will not go outside of their specialty. Leadership will tell us one thing and do something opposite. The CD has a foul mouth that lost us major business.

Advice to Management

Find a new leader

Sep 13, 2016 – Social Media Content Strategist

Thank you for your review and your honest assessment of our agency. We’re proud to be a Lawrence, KS based business because we believe the creative spirit of the community bleeds into the work we ... More

"Grim Outlook"

I worked at Callahan Creek (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company allows some offsite working hours; did offer good insurance, benefits & bonuses (but these have started disappearing under new ownership); cool office in historic downtown Lawrence building.

Cons

Salaries not competitive with bigger markets; company is constantly being re-branded yet still always appears to be one step behind its competitors; new CEO/owner who appears to be disconnected from needs of both clients and staff; there hasn't been any visible growth outlook in years; CD and majority of other senior positions are usually filled by male candidates (boys' club); environment has completely deteriorated from being "a great place to work" to one of "watch your back"; leadership is aggressive toward staff and uses intimidation to motivate; creatives seem like zombified order takers and have no opportunities to give input; employees participate in mandatory "team building" activities that are just thinly disguised attempts at getting them to supply the agency with potential new business concepts/clients; high turnover since new CEO took over should be a BIG red flag.

Advice to Management

Lost cause; no advice can save this sinking ship - just sit back and watch as talented employees flee to KC and surrounding areas for better pay and better work environments.

Sep 13, 2016 – Social Media Content Strategist

Thank you for your review. We believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and we respect yours. We work in an industry that is evolving at an ever increasing rate. It’s a field where if you’re ... More