Callahan & Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jon Jeffreys

1. "Marketing/Sales"

I worked at Callahan & Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Callahan is a small, yet enthusiastic environment where you are encouraged to push yourself and learn. I always felt comfortable and excited to go to work. All staff members were friendly and wanted to help you succeed. Great work/life balance. Encouraging work environment. Let's put it this way, if you care, they will care, you just have to work hard. Though small, the company has amazing benefits (401k match, health/dental, profit sharing, etc.) I got the unique chance to learn different skills that I believe will help me establish myself in my future career endeavors, and for that I am very thankful for my time at Callahan.

Cons

It is a small company, so there was not much upward mobility at the time I was there, but I believe they are working on that for the future!

Advice to Management

I think the management is smart and dedicated. I do not agree with the other reviews regarding the nepotism issue. There are lots of family owned businesses out there. Yes, some of the managers are related, but that in no way affected the work environment in a negative way. If anything, I thought that made me feel like part of the family over the years. The company has come a long way in the past 5 years, and the managers really care about moving it in the right direction.

2. "Dynamic Growing Company"

I have been working at Callahan & Associates part-time

Pros

This is a small company where you can make an impact quickly. If you love credit unions, this is a great organization for you.

Cons

Being responsive to a changing industry often requires timely redirection and if priorities are not communicated well it can create confusion.

Advice to Management

A generational shift in management has taken place over the past 24 months and the new leaders are marking their mark.

3. "Small company where you can make an impact"

I worked at Callahan & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to get a real exposure to the credit union industry and where your work matters. If you're coming out of college and looking for a job where you can make a real difference, this is a good company to work for. I got to assume a lot of responsibilities and had opportunities to interact with c-suite executive clients, which was a huge positive. B/c it's a small company, your opinions do count and management is willing to listen to you. Over the past years, the senior mgmt has really stepped up and tried hard to create an environment that is more supportive and encouraging for younger employees (e.g training, 1-1 meetings, events etc). You will learn a lot and develop a variety of soft/technical skills as you get to wear many hats.

I personally really liked the mgmt and absolutely loved the people I worked with. They have great benefits.

Cons

There were times I had to work overtime. But overall, great work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

5. "SQL Server DBA"

I have been working at Callahan & Associates full-time

Pros

It is very nice environment and Co-workers to work with. I have learnt a lot beyond my position. I have got opportunity to learn cloud environment, Salesforce, Cloud version of Peer app and SQL development and so on. I work so closely to developers which helps me to understand all of layers of our apps development wise or management wise.

Cons

I don't have any opportunity to achieve any security clearance because the position didn't requires any security clearance. And this very small company to grow my expertise on Database Administrator.

6. "Great company for college graduates"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Callahan & Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture. Friendly & comfortable work environment.

Cons

Some decision makers are lacking basic everyday knowledge.

7. "Worth Working Here"

I worked at Callahan & Associates full-time

Pros

good flexibility and sincere workforce. Very good little company

Cons

unfocused managment ... a little disjointed

"Decent job with too much drama"

I worked at Callahan & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a company most suited to folks right out of college (undergrad). You get a chance to apply what you've learned. And, if you build relationships with the right managers, they won't micromange you.

Lots of people change departments at the lower staff levels, following their interests and desired responsibilities. Know marketing, but are interested in sales? They will let you do that. Want to write, but are more of a financial analyst? They will pair you with writers to build those skills.

Cons

Turnover is high here, but those who stay resemble a "good old boys club". One family comprises nearly half of the leadership team; it can create some odd dynamics.

Stress can sometimes come from no where and you have to drop everything you are doing to deal with it. Every job has this, but what makes this different is that, its totally avoidable, is the same people every time. And everyone knows how I could be avoided but they are unable to do so. Be prepared for some crazy stressful moments, where your efforts aren't always appreciated.

9. "Good pay, not very interesting"

Pros

Great salary for an intern and location was very convenient

Cons

Didn't really learn anything. Very menial and boring work.

10. "Good entry level job"

I worked at Callahan & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good social activities, fun people to work with.

Cons

Hard to get recognition from senior partners.

"Good company with room for improvement"

Pros

Callahan & Associates is a small company so there is great opportunity to get involved in areas of interest. Work/life balance opportunities are available to some and employees are provided with access to top industry tools and software. Professional development is encouraged.

Cons

This company is unsure of its overall direction. Strategies and objectives are constantly changing leaving employees confused and frustrated. Reorganizations happen often and in my opinion lends to the high turn over experienced at Callahan.

Advice to Management

Invest more in the retention of your employees. Perhaps adding fresh perspective to the leadership team could be helpful.