Callaway Golf Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Callaway Golf CEO Chip Brewer
Chip Brewer

Pros
Cons
  • Market share is not improving much (in 4 reviews)

• Constant change still working thru most recent senior management changes (in 4 reviews)

1. "Used To Be A Great American Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Callaway Golf full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amount of vacation time is above industry standards. Great employees.

Cons

Senior management focus is entirely on reducing costs. Always looking at ways to reduce spend by moving production to Mexico and moving operating and support staff from the US to offshore. No career path for employees. TaylorMade was never seen as a great place to work and they have been struggling for years now. Callaway has brought in a lot of TaylorMade employees and it has been detrimental to the overall company culture.

Advice to Management

To get great results, treat your employees with respect and show that you value them. This will go a long way and will encourage employees to work harder.

2. "Not a Good PLace to Work"

I have been working at Callaway Golf full-time

Pros

Plenty of parking
    Paychecks don't bounce

Cons

It's simply a very unpleasant place to work in so many ways. I look forward to the wonderful day I get to turn in my resignation. Until then, I stay for the paycheck.

Every single day I have to listen to management spew vulgarities, I have to have "conservative" values shoved down my throat. I have to watch employees be harassed by other employees and even management as well. It's nauseating. If you try to stand up against the bullies then there is a price to pay. The people that do the harassing are protected for some reason and HR doesn't want to get involved. Overall I find it to be a very hostile environment.

Advice to Management

I would give advice if I felt it would make a difference. It won't so I won't waste anymore of my time.

"manufacturing"

Former Employee - Manufacturing in Chicopee, MA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing in Chicopee, MA

Pros

The employees are great to work with,the pay is not competitive for entry level employees,benefits are average at est

Cons

Company workforce supervisors have very poor management skills, daily confusion.company have no vision or foresight,and react to problems as they occur.

Advice to Management

Hire some supervisor with some skills,someone that's actually knows whats happening on the manufacturing floor, and listen to the employees concerns.

"Too many layoffs and employees having to do the work of 4"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at Callaway Golf full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Brand with global recognition

Cons

Skeleton crew each doing the work of 4 others. Each department is working for their own success but not considering the impact on others. Offices/employees in international offices do not receive direction and they are suffering from lack of attention. Operations is a mess and consumers call often about miss-ships and missing product from their orders. Executives are only concerned with their bonuses and never ask employees on the front line about the market they serve. This has become a big box supplier and the smaller retailers are on the fringe. U.S. Retailers are complaining about their early pay discounts being taken away - it's a mess.

Advice to Management

If you only care about your bonuses keep doing what you're doing, if you care about consumers get involved with your inside/outside sales reps and ask for the truth, not what you want to hear, the truth.

6. "Very Dissappointing; bad management"

I worked at Callaway Golf full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pretty nice product, nice location. Many nice employees. When I first started working there, seemed like a stable company.

Cons

The Executive staff is the good ol' boy's club. They like to spend money on their perks but not on the development of their employees.
    Way too many layoffs. People were always worried who was next. They've let go so many first line employees but kept so much management. Finally got to laying off managers and VPs so they're not too top heavy.
    HR Department has cliques in the worst way. They look the other way when the executives misbehave and even when their own HR staff misbehaves. If you're best buddies with HR management, then you get preferential treatment. The HR Director and staff have way to many meetings to discuss what they will meet about next week. And, most of their meetings turn in to social hour and are a total waste of time.

Advice to Management

Pick a CEO and upper management and stick with it.

7. "A company that has been lost in the wilderness since the passing of a charismatic entrepreneur founder"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Callaway Golf full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Still has some people in R&D who are best-in-class and deeply committed to the game and business of golf. Still has strong cache overseas due to effective management teams in Asia and Europe. New management team making the right moves from institutional investors' point of view

Cons

Continuous mismanagement of the brand in the US since 2001, particularly so between 2006-2010. Declining market share. A new wave of layoffs every 6 months during the last two years. The longest serving CEO George Fellows in recent years was also completely out of touch with not only the golf industry but the global consumer products retail business climate in general. New management policies may improve the balance sheet, but whether this will result in improved commercial performance: increased market share, higher consumer preference, and therefore increased sales...the jury is still out. Employees face continued uncertainty and instability for years to come, and morale is low.