Calspan Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Louis H. Knotts

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Complex, Challenging, and Fun"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Calspan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is well organized and well run. I have not been working here long, but I enjoy the close-knit community of coworkers and I have already had many positive interactions. The knowledge level within the company is extremely high, with so many intelligent people running around its no wonder the company has lasted as long as it has.

There is a real feeling of satisfaction when you complete a task, and the company seems to genuinely care about the people who work here.

Cons

Some technical requirements can be challenging to grasp.

2. "Customer Service Agent for Spirit Airlines"

I worked at Calspan part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting and fast paced job. Training in Florida, intense but fun. Management is laid back but too laid back.

Cons

No one really in charge, there are a lot of demands and responsibilities on low paid, part time employees. You are pretty much on your own during a major delay or cancelation. Absolutely no incentive to take on more qualifications and in fact there is not one iota of appreciation or consideration for people who put in the extra effort. Disdain for the customer is from the top down. Big and I mean BIG turnover, most employees last for a little over a year and then...they outta there.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to keep your trained employees, it shouldn't be that hard...Duhhhh

3. "Ramp agent"

I worked at Calspan full-time

Pros

There really are none .

Cons

Worst company I ever worked for had horrible communication skills and jig turn over rate. Show lots of favoritism

Advice to Management

Treat people like they are human and not disposable .

4. "Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Calspan (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work fascinating projects. One of a kind projects and smart co workers.

Cons

Calspan hurts people and families!!!!
    They don't listen to their people either
    Be Calspan is a farce!!!!
    People are afraid of the management team.

Advice to Management

Why bother... You don't listen

5. "Company does not support employees."

I worked at Calspan full-time

Pros

Coworkers were really nice. Reasonable salary.

Cons

Employees get no support. Constant micromanagement and finger pointing, without training.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like human beings .

6. "Good small company - on the rise"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Calspan full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Calspan has a small company feel with a lot of large company benefits. It has world-class testing facilities - so interaction with large companies (as customers and vendors) is the norm. Benefits are very competitive for Western New York area - and the company does as much as it can with extra perks along the way. Great opportunity for work/life balance.

Cons

Calspan isn't a very large company, and therefore sometimes internal opportunities are difficult to come by. That being said, an ambitious person with a diverse skill set will be recognized and go far at Calspan.

7. "Fun and Technically Challenging"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Calspan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with transportation safety is very fun. The group is young, diverse and smart. We continually get new technical challenges that we must solve. If you don't like these challenges, go work at a large engineering firm. This is a team environment where your coworker has your back.

The management is sometimes disconnected, but they do listen and try to work together with the operations when they can.

Cons

Flexibility: it goes both ways. There are some projects with strict deadlines which require extra hours.

The staff is partially Union, and partially non-Union. This causes difficulties working together.

Advice to Management

None right now. When I have advice for management, I give it to them and they willingly accept it. I don't complain about petty things on employment websites.

8. "If you are looking for a place to grow, look somewhere else. The pay is only enough for a teenager with no responsibilit"

Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Bwi Airport, MD
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Bwi Airport, MD

I have been working at Calspan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not a lot of flights at my location.
    Pay and half on overtime and holidays
    keeps you fit
    Easy to combine with another job

Cons

Very small company
    poor pay
    work if physically demanding
    company is not organised.
    no room to grow
    winter can be a pain
    the job is dangerous

Advice to Management

It will be worth considering revising the pay structure. The company should also work to improve communication between staff and admin

"woefully poor place to work, poor moral, micromanagement, new execs had no idea of the work we did"

Former Employee - Crash Researcher
    Former Employee - Crash Researcher

I worked at Calspan (More than 10 years)

Pros

benefits bearable, lower personnel great to deal with

Cons

After a certain point there was no room for advancement, if there was a position open we were not notified only to find out that one of the "select few" had already been chosen. Management was relatively new and had no idea of the program's workings. We were purchased under the old contract by Calspan in 2010. We were micromanaged and could not perform our work efficiently without constant time consuming reporting. Quality and moral deteriorated quickly. In 2012 there was a major layoff after being awarded a 40 million contract which was cut considerably by the government due to irregularities. Execs enjoyed many perks that were not passed down to the worker bees on the workers dime. 50% of the work force was let go, mostly senior employees, higher salaried, "complainers" and those that did not "conform" to the new management Forget any suggestions, they are never listened to. It is their way or no way. Everything suffered, from quality of our former work to poor showings of what we had done previously. After being purchased in 2010 we became salaried. No overtime, no bonuses and no incentive to work harder. Projects requesting volunteers, forget it if you refuse, you will do it whether you want to or not. Earned vacation almost no time to use it, so you lose it. There is no life with this company, they own you and dictate what you do. It used to be a great job but they sucked all the joy out of it.

Advice to Management

Mr. Knotts needs to get his head out of the sand and run the rest of his company other than the aviation portion. The transportation portion has deteriorated. There are very worthwhile and important programs in this company that need serious addressing. Management and HR need to treat their people not as a commodity by an asset to their success, without them they are nothing.....

"New Venture"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Niagara Falls, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Niagara Falls, NY

I worked at Calspan (Less than a year)

Pros

401 K and benefit programs are good

Cons

First venture with FBO operations, and learning the complexity of on demand 24/7 operations instead of bid activity or contracts.

Advice to Management

need a different mindset, with different type of employees.