Caltrans "private sector" Reviews | Glassdoor

Caltrans Employee Reviews about "private sector"

Updated Jul 2, 2019

4.1
Caltrans Director 	Malcolm Dougherty (no image)
Malcolm Dougherty
Pros
Cons
  • "Some co-workers are not as focused as others but as long as it is not creating a hostile work environment, I'm okay with it(in 11 reviews)

• "Wages are stagnated and are at least 20% behind the private sector(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "private sector"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Exhilarating"

Current Employee - Resident Engineer in Kelseyville, CA

I have been working at Caltrans full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The job is rewarding; its what work is and what work should be. There is a manual for everything. Do the job you are paid to do and you will do well.

Cons

They are a Government entity and while the private enterprise gets new computers and software at Caltrans it takes a long time to get new computers and new software. The private sector is ahead of Caltrans employees in this area.

Advice to Management

Open the door to fill more vacancies from the outside.

Caltrans2014-02-16
  2. "Great place to have a career"

Current Employee - Right of Way Agent-Range B in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Caltrans full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Amazing work life balance. Each supervisor handles things a little differently, but you are allowed to have a life. I am single, but many of my coworkers with children keep this career for that very reason. -Low stress job, you do not take this work home with you ever. -Every holiday off, no one fights you to take time off. People take a month off in the summer/winter holiday time. -I have not once completed 40 hours worth of work in a 40 hour work week-Not overloading your employees is gold. -9/80 Schedule-Means you work 9 hour days and get every other Friday off, incredible option. -Do not have to beg for a raise. Happens automatically until you max out in that position. -Have access to an online masters program through San Jose State University, at an incredible price (under $15,000 for the entire program!)

Cons

-Laid back attitude can evolve into sluggish/stagnant environment. -Cheap -Slow to evolve. Everything is paper forms- move to digital. -Wages are stagnated and are at least 20% behind the private sector. Since our salaries are dictated by taxpayers and legislation, our paycheck increases are at their mercy. -Throw assignments at you without proper training. Rotating functions within a department is a pain in the rear. They drag their feet SO bad on requesting and acquiring training sessions for their employees, especially the new ones.

Advice to Management

Train your people! Request training for your new people so that we can feel prepared and have the information needed to complete our jobs. Clean up the on boarding process and shift Caltrans into the digital age PLEASE. Get rid of all the paper waste and antiquated systems.

Caltrans2019-07-02
  3. "Caltrans review"

Current Employee - Senior Transportation Engineer in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Caltrans full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits and stable work hours.

Cons

Upper management salaries not comensurate with private sector.

Advice to Management

Negotiate higher salaries for managers and executives.

Caltrans2018-04-26

"Associate Planner"

Current Employee - Associate Environmental Planner in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Caltrans full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefit package. Flexibility. Retirement compensation. At 20 years-you can retire and get your medical insurance fully paid. If you consider that benefit could amount to $1500 in pre tax benefits-you’ll understand why people’s stay here when the place is full of bottom feeders and lacks modern technology

Cons

Hostile creepy people in some departments. Lack of technology, wages are 30-40% below private sector. Org is run like mafia. Filthy building, consultants try to compete for your work, no advancement.

Advice to Management

Where to start ?

Caltrans2017-10-24

"Intern"

Former Employee - Student Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Caltrans part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy going, no stress environment. While my position was unpaid, it seems they take care of their salaried positions. Espec. with pension plans & tenured upward mobility. The building was also nice, and well positioned next to old town. I really enjoyed the specific people that I worked with.

Cons

Government work. Most people here enjoy their pensions very slowly. Projects that in the private sector would take a month are clustered with red tape, and dragged on for a half year. My mentor was attempting to update a system in their network and was consistently being met with resistance, even though the project should have been completed a decade before. If you want a stable salary position with no excitement and no difficult work, this is for you.

Advice to Management

I would advise to pay your interns, and if you cannot do that because of red tape, then I suggest you have clear goals and defined structure for them to work on.

Caltrans2016-11-26

"Equipment operator 2"

I have been working at Caltrans full-time

Pros

Steady reliable income, medical benefits, job security

Cons

Opposite of private sector, being the harder smarter worker doesn't pay off..... It's a boy club

Caltrans2016-09-24
  7. "Environmental Planner"

in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Caltrans for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits. Flexible hours. Good people to work with. Steady and reliable work.

Cons

Compensation not up to par with private sector for non-engineer employees. Seems like every process is overly bureaucratic. As with all state jobs... structure is very outdated.

Advice to Management

Take notes from trends in private sector.

Caltrans2016-01-13

"You get out of it what you put into it."

in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Caltrans

Pros

Many interesting projects Many good people Flexibility and autonomy if you work hard and show initiative Statewide opportunities. Multi-disiplinary work environment - unending challenges if you seek them out.

Cons

Pay has not kept up with private sector or inflation over the past 25 years. Too many bureaucrats who don't help. Caltrans is made scapegoat by public and elected officials, often when not to blame. (There is plenty to blame on Caltrans, but often missed.)

Advice to Management

Lead, follow or retire. Take responsibility or take up golf (i.e., retire - don't tee off on state time!). Bring in fresh blood to oversee troubled divisions within Caltrans.

Caltrans2011-11-20

"It sucks to be a state worker"

in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Caltrans

Pros

you are not demanded to work 60 hrs a wk or come in over the weekend just because. friendly people family friendly

Cons

pay sucks. i got paid the same as 10 years when i worked in the private sector. you are always under the gun that you are paid too much when you are underpaid significantly. you got no respect from people.

Advice to Management

fix the morale. fix the wrong perception. fire those lazy and unproductive people.

Caltrans2011-02-17