Caltrans "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Caltrans Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Sep 3, 2019

4.1
Caltrans Director 	Malcolm Dougherty (no image)
Malcolm Dougherty
Pros
Cons
  • "Some co-workers are not as focused as others but as long as it is not creating a hostile work environment, I'm okay with it(in 11 reviews)

• "Wages are stagnated and are at least 20% behind the private sector(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Caltrans is an awesome employer"

Current Employee - Transportation Engineer in Marysville, CA

I have been working at Caltrans full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Provides alternative schedules for work life balance

Cons

At times the right person does not get the promotion

Advice to Management

Interact more with first line supervisors

Caltrans2019-08-28
  2. "Great Organization"

Current Employee - Associate Governmental Program Analyst in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Caltrans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Been here over a year. Came from private industry. Everyone is friendly and professional. Great training programs to focus on fostering good employees unlike the bottom line of private companies. Great management as well who do not micro manage my work. Great work/life balance and a genuine feeling of positive work for the public (even though the public may not see it that way). Many opportunities to be involved with projects and grow. I hear it's pretty normal to have employees who work for 20-30 years, which is a sign that the pay and organization is worth it. Lots of ways to motivate employees and build camaraderie.

Cons

Some co-workers are not as focused as others but as long as it is not creating a hostile work environment, I'm okay with it. Took a paycut working for the State and hope it be worth it in the end. My career track is not the highest paying unlike the engineers. Anyone who aspire to become a high-level manager level should have engineering experience (makes sense since this is a transportation agency).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I have no complaints.

Caltrans2019-08-22
  3. "Range B"

Current Employee - Transportation Engineer, Civil in Marysville, CA

I have been working at Caltrans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stability, Work-life balance, Salary and health benefits

Cons

Change takes too long to occurr.

Caltrans2019-09-03
  4. "What's it like in an engineering driven company"

Current Employee - Landscape Associate

I have been working at Caltrans full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Decent pay, flexible hours, great work/life balance, never take work home, interesting design challenges, influence on projects can last a lifetime. One of the last agencies to still offer a pension.

Cons

The entire design process takes too many years to come to fruition. It's true: too much bureaucracy here. Landscape architects are not respected by many engineers. Management wants everyone to "think outside the box" but too many "chiefs" hamper the creative design process. Too many people afraid of taking risks because either they do not know how, are too lazy, or too risk adverse. Many lazy people who do not perform their jobs. Some of these people are in Senior positions and refuse to allow "thinking outside the box." Zero-low accountability for failed work. Communication and organizational breakdowns from PID, to design, to construction, to maintenance. Promotions are far and few in between, and don't happen for people who actually can do the work, but rather happen to those who are good test takers. Also, many people who just don't care about their jobs and sit around collecting a paycheck - but this is par for the course with a State Agency.

Advice to Management

Please create a top down solution for making your hard workers feel appreciated, needed and motivated. Need to enforce accountability and get rid of everyone who does not care about their job. Need to mandate performance reviews at least once a year. Also, last but not least, find a way to make Seniors and above start thinking creativity and be open minded to new ideas.

Caltrans2019-08-16
  5. "Great place to have a career"

Current Employee - Right of Way Agent-Range B in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Caltrans full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Amazing work life balance. Each supervisor handles things a little differently, but you are allowed to have a life. I am single, but many of my coworkers with children keep this career for that very reason. -Low stress job, you do not take this work home with you ever. -Every holiday off, no one fights you to take time off. People take a month off in the summer/winter holiday time. -I have not once completed 40 hours worth of work in a 40 hour work week-Not overloading your employees is gold. -9/80 Schedule-Means you work 9 hour days and get every other Friday off, incredible option. -Do not have to beg for a raise. Happens automatically until you max out in that position. -Have access to an online masters program through San Jose State University, at an incredible price (under $15,000 for the entire program!)

Cons

-Laid back attitude can evolve into sluggish/stagnant environment. -Cheap -Slow to evolve. Everything is paper forms- move to digital. -Wages are stagnated and are at least 20% behind the private sector. Since our salaries are dictated by taxpayers and legislation, our paycheck increases are at their mercy. -Throw assignments at you without proper training. Rotating functions within a department is a pain in the rear. They drag their feet SO bad on requesting and acquiring training sessions for their employees, especially the new ones.

Advice to Management

Train your people! Request training for your new people so that we can feel prepared and have the information needed to complete our jobs. Clean up the on boarding process and shift Caltrans into the digital age PLEASE. Get rid of all the paper waste and antiquated systems.

Caltrans2019-07-02
  6. "Caltrans"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Caltrans for less than a year

Pros

Good Work Life Balance and low stess

Cons

Slow Pace of Work. LA area so Long commute hours depending where you live.

Caltrans2019-04-29

"Transportation engineer, electrical"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Caltrans full-time for less than a year

Pros

good pay, great people, good work life balance

Cons

no flex time, lots of new hires

Caltrans2019-01-12
  8. "Engineering & Operations Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Caltrans for less than a year

Pros

Great work life balance. Nice and amazing staff. Good fundamental beliefs.

Cons

Low pay, but only because it was an internship.

Caltrans2018-10-11
  9. "Transportation Engineer"

I have been working at Caltrans full-time

Pros

Low stress work environment, great work/life balance

Cons

Slow at times makes day go by slower

Caltrans2018-10-22
  10. "ROW Agent"

I have been working at Caltrans full-time

Pros

Benefits are above average, work life balance is good.

Cons

Under Payed compared to private

Advice to Management

Modernization

Caltrans2018-02-12