Calvetti Ferguson Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jason Ferguson CPA

"Great opportunities with a growing firm"

Current Employee - Texas in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Texas in Houston, TX

I have been working at Calvetti Ferguson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The number one thing that separates this company from my past work experiences is its great work culture. It's an energetic place to work at and for the most part everyone gets along and works very well together. The firm provides perks for its employees, especially during busy season, such as bringing a masseuse onsite and hosting departmental happy hours. Also, it's not unusual for employees to plan social events among themselves, which is nice. Calvetti Ferguson has doubled in size since I've worked here, which has opened great job opportunities across the company. The partners listen to the employees' concerns and create initiatives to address them, whether that be better training, 9/80 work weeks during the summer, or keeping the break rooms filled with our favorite snacks.

Cons

During my first year working at CF there was high (judging from my experience) turnover, but I attribute much of that to the high rate of growth the company was experiencing and also being a CPA Firm it seems to come with the territory. The recruiting and hiring process has been a huge emphasis and I can honestly say that the teams and company as a whole has become stronger as a result of getting the "right" persons to fill new and vacated positions.

Advice to Management

Do your best to not lose the family atmosphere as the company grows larger.

"Love working here"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Calvetti Ferguson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable; pay is generous; 9/80 schedule over the summer; unlimited PTO year-round; very good work-life balance which is encouraged by all levels of management; management is generous with praise and showing appreciation of the staff (massage therapists frequently brought in for employee use, weekly gift card drawings, employee of the month, random "thank you" gifts like gift cards, GoPros given as Christmas gifts on top of bi-annual bonuses); ample training offered; overall management concern for the happiness and well-being of their employees.

Cons

Slightly disorganized; communication from management to the firm could be better (e.g. When employees are hired or terminated, only the department the employee is/was in is told - it would help to communicate that to the entire office); growth might be too rapid - might be smart to slow down a little and work out all the kinks with what already exists before continuing to expand; health insurance benefits aren't ideal.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! The best things about CF is managements' interest in and concern for the happiness and well-being of their employees. Please don't lose sight of this as the company continues to grow.

"Decent pay but not worth the headache"

Former Employee - Tax in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Tax in Houston, TX

I worked at Calvetti Ferguson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you ask for it, pay is pretty decent even for being Downtown. Good time off, but in tax that eats into your bonus utilization so it's a give/take. Some people know what they're doing, but you have to ask as nobody really offers any information. You see all kinds of clients, but depending on who assigns it to you they may or may not know how to adequately handle the project so that isn't always a positive. At first they do a good job of selling the "team" part of the firm but quickly that disintegrates. Offices are new and nice at least. Bring in food during busy season. If you're experienced and don't expect to really be trained or learn, this could be a good stepping stone to somewhere with adequate management after you get lots of exposure. They seem to do an ok job of screening candidates, but staff isn't where the issues lie...
    To an extent you get to work on what type of work you want to which if you've already carved a niche` for yourself can reduce your stress about returns or types of work you aren't familiar with.
    The audit team doesn't seem to have as many issues as tax, so if that's where you're headed you may have better luck.

Cons

The issue here mainly is there is an utter lack of competency at the management level. When I left there was 1 manager left, and it was someone who had been out of public accounting for over a decade and it showed. The partners really should be managers as that's where their level of technical and managerial capabilities lie. Since leaving one of the equity Audit partners had to take over tax because of this. If only it had happened sooner!
    Promotions are made simply by "the best of who's left" as far as Managers, Sr. Managers and Partners. Save the two ex-partners, and 2 staff, no one in the department has been there over a year. Turnover is every couple of Fridays, whether it be tax or audit. If you've been in public accounting, you know what kind of havoc this wreaks when trying to review prior year information or have any type of continuity.
    Reviews are done by assigned managers who you probably don't do any work for and typically are a source of reporting to management (in a negative light) your issues and concerns. It's basically intended to "tattle" on anyone who disagrees with things in the firm or even has legitimate concerns for that matter.
    As stated above, there is little to no training or technical advancement programs in place. If you don't know what you're doing already, this probably isn't a good place to go, even as an Associate.
    There is very much a clique and gossipy atmosphere in place. Any new day brings its new items of drama, to the likes of which I've never experienced before. Like many before me I couldn't even make it through a calendar year with the firm. It's that frustrating.

Advice to Management

The "tone at the top" is basically "We Don't Have Any Competition". As with any small (under 50) accounting firm, there are always bigger and better places so this kind of arrogance is part of their downfall. Partners do not hold their management to their own internal leadership standards and goals which if you're trying to move up is frustrating as it's mostly a futile effort in trying to deal with the tenured managers.
    Also, it is dishonest and frankly a lie to release information such as press releases, letterhead, and client correspondence with additional offices listed (Woodlands, Calgary, etc.) where they don't lease space or have any employees in said locations.
    These issues have been going on at the company for at least the last 2 years based on staff when I arrived, and management is hardly wont to address it anytime soon.

"Really amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Calvetti Ferguson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I haven't been here long, but I already feel like I'm a valued member of the team. The atmosphere is absolutely wonderful, and the partners are all very determined to keep it that way. They go out of their way to solicit input, enact good policies, and show their appreciation for all that their employees do. They also realize that everyone has a life outside of work and that maintaining it is important. Their reasoning is that you'll work harder and better if you're a happier person, and they're right! Perhaps because of this, the rest of the employees are all genial, considerate, and accommodating. On top of that, they seem to genuinely like one another. This is not to say that everyone is best friends and that there are never any disagreements, but gossip, pettiness, and backstabbing really don't seem to have a place here.

As for the tangibles - the time off is generous and the approval process for it is fair. Working hours are reasonable; 60+ hours weeks are NOT the norm. The company is rapidly growing in size, so there looks like there will be a lot of potential for individual professional development and movement.

Cons

Parking is really the only issue I've had so far. The company gives a pretty generous parking allowance, but they don't have a contract anywhere so you've got to set up your own. Parking downtown is so scarce that finding somewhere with an opening can take a long time. Might be easiest to just take the bus.

Advice to Management

Do whatever you can to maintain this atmosphere and culture! It's well and truly outstanding.

"One day you're here, the next day you're gone"

Former Employee - Audit in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Audit in Houston, TX

I worked at Calvetti Ferguson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to different industries, Pay market rate, many vacation days, nice offices.

Cons

Insane amount of turnover, No formal training, Management has no accountability, Promotions are based on politics, Incompetent managers will throw seniors and staff under the bus to cover for their mistakes. Parking allowance does not cover parking costs.

Advice to Management

Partners, wake up and smell the coffee. Hire better management, and not just those there for a paycheck. Get rid of complainers/cancers/gossipers. It is not a coincidence half your employees have been there less then 2 years.

"A great experience at first, but bad management decisions made this place difficult to work for in the end."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Majority of employees have great personalities, management has open door policy, managers are usually flexible when it comes to scheduling conflicts, more vacation days than most public companies.

Cons

constant turnovers, reduced salaries, reduced benefits, poor training which leads to poor client deliverables, managers are spread so thin that they never have time for associates and senior associates, blatant favoritism, and most RIFs are based solely on politics.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees as they are the backbone of your company.

8. "Great place to work to gain valuable experience"

Pros

Calvetti Ferguson has created a great culture with its employees, making working here an enjoyable experience. There is a strong sense of community within the firm. Over the course of my two summer internships, I was exposed to a variety of experiences and opportunities which I was able to continuously learn from. Regardless of what project I was working on, I felt comfortable turning to any of the employees for questions.

Cons

There seemed to be a high employee turnover, particularly in the manager level, over the course of a year.

"Beware of the fake employee reviews. Here are the facts about Calvetti Ferguson"

Pros

Base pay is market rate. Many of the staff and seniors are decent people. Free soda and snacks in the break room.

Cons

It looks like several of the recent reviews for this firm are fake- notice how they don't have a single con they can come up with? I spent about two years with this firm, and here were my observations:

-Annual turnover was about 50 percent, and the vast majority of this was people being fired or quitting before being fired. I can only think of a handful of times that someone left on good terms. After firing people, it was common for the firm to try and fight the unemployment claims even when it seemed there was no basis for doing so.

-The firm has been continually shrinking. A decade ago they had nearly 100 people, today they have less than half that. But you don't have to trust me on this- the firm has fallen in the Houston Business Journal's ranking of accounting firms over the past two years.

-When I joined the firm they had a generous bonus structure in place so that if you had a certain number of billable hours in a month, you'd receive a cash bonus. In order to save money, they've raised the targets so high that you almost never hit them. The firm also shifted from a low-cost 401k provider to one with very high fees in order to shift the plan administration costs on to the employees.

-IT at this firm is a joke. They took away our perfectly functional laptops and gave us tablets running Windows 8. Of course, they chose the absolute cheapest tablets they could find and made the change right in the midst of busy season. The whole rationale was that this was supposed to make us more "mobile" and "lightweight", but instead of carrying one laptop and an extra monitor, we now had to carry the tablet, two monitors, a wireless keyboard, a wireless mouse, and a docking station to plug in all these devices. Since the tablets were cheap pieces of junk, they could never stay connected to Wifi and we'd frequently lose work or have to twiddle our thumbs while IT tried to fix it.

Advice to Management

Continually throwing your people under the bus is not a winning strategy.

Calvetti Ferguson Response

Aug 2, 2016 – HR

It is important for our employees to have a voice and we welcome candid feedback. We are saddened to read that any former employee was dissatisfied while working with our Firm. We are also ... More

"I have been working at Calvetti Ferguson & Wagner P.C. full-time"

I have been working at Calvetti Ferguson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Where to begin? I've only been here a few months and absolutely love it. Coming from an even smaller company, I felt that I fit right in. My manager has been great and is always open to giving me more work, which has really helped my ability to learn. In the short amount of time I've been here, I've seen nothing but growth (huge plus). I love the atmosphere of a small company but It's always a good feeling being apart of one that is expanding. I can't wait to see how far the firm has come in a year from now.

Cons

I honestly cannot think of any cons about Calvetti Ferguson. There are some tweaks the firm could use in the interviewing process but I wouldn't necessarily categorize them as Cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Calvetti Ferguson full-time

Pros

This is a great place to work. Everyone on staff is easy to get along with. They are growing at a very fast place with the addition of a San Antonio office and an office in The Woodlands. The corporate culture is a huge positive.

The partners also try hard to make sure employees are heard and taken care of. They also strive for great customer service. No one is perfect, but if anyone has an issue, they are willing to listen and work to get it resolved.

Cons

I can't think of anything too negative. The benefits could use a bit of a boost but aren't terrible by any means. Also, there could be some risks to the high anticipated growth. These cons, though, are minor compared to the pros.

Advice to Management

Keep doing good work and taking care of your employees. Continue showing how much you care about your employees and community.