Cambia Health Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Mark B. Ganz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work life balance options - reasonable workload - remote work is an option for most - relaxed dress code" (in 19 reviews)

• "Flexibility to work from home for some positions" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "work life balance is less desirable, management changes in fast pace" (in 7 reviews)

• "There is no upper management accountability" (in 12 reviews)

"Data Scientist"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cambia Health Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team members to work with.

Cons

Seattle is boring, pretty boring.

Advice to Management

Nothing. It is great.

Feb 12, 2018 – Director, Employee Experience

Thank you for the 5 star review and for being a part of the Cambia team! Please reach to out to me anytime to share ideas for boosting the excitement in the Seattle office.
    Elizabeth Hall
    Director... More

"Unrealized vision, over and over."

I have been working at Cambia Health Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay, central location. In my experience, management *mostly* allows a fair amount of autonomy to do our work. However, I've heard otherwise in other departments.

The overall company vision and mission is sound and aspirational.

Cons

The company isn't organized to fulfil the mission and vision. Cambia actively waste millions of dollars on unvalidated products and service assumptions in addition to the overlapping efforts of siloed teams that never communicate with each other. The management teams (including marketing) aren't great at creating strategies. They are good at creating powerpoint decks, numerous meetings to talk about doing work, then leaving teams of people out to figure it all out on their own. There is no upper management accountability. Amazon Health, Google Health, Apple Health, Kaiser, United Health, Microsoft, etc are positioned to eat Cambia's lunch within 2-5 years.

"Person-focused" should mean that the business is informed by the customers & consumers' needs. These needs should drive the strategy, not some good 'ol boy's opinion or a poorly devised product roadmap!

Finally, all businesses in Cambia should learn how to set success metrics and measurable outcomes. All they care about are sales, product output & features, and "consumer engagement" campaigns that push people to irrelevant or unwanted content and experiences.

Advice to Management

Genuinely listen to your consumers and customers and have empathy - especially with the care providers. Stop overlooking and treating them as a burden. Hire more researchers, developers, designers, strategists, and fewer marketers and salesman. You're blatantly commoditizing people's health and well-being while overlooking their true needs.

3. "Toxic undercurrents"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cambia Health Solutions full-time

Pros

Good gym benefits, 401K match, decent salary, great food.

Cons

If you're a woman, work here ONLY if you're okay with men and women (equal opportunity harassment!) continually winking at you, people putting their arms around you, suggestive comments from all managerial levels, a sexist, bro culture. And if you comply and go along with all of this-- there is no guarantee it will help you up the ladder. You must know how to navigate this morass.

Advice to Management

Put in place sexual harassment training for ALL employees at ALL levels asap. You've got a problem with your culture. You must recognize that even subtle harassment happening every day is death by 1,000 cuts.

4. "Generous benefits, great colleagues"

I worked at Cambia Health Solutions full-time

Pros

Benefits are very generous, very smart colleagues, opportunities to advance

Cons

Can be difficult to get assigned to interesting projects

Aug 17, 2018 – Director, Employee Experience

I appreciate your review of Cambia. We are committed to offering a competitive total rewards package, including a deep investment in wellness. If you have any additional feedback you would like... More

"Dynamic and Challenging"

I have been working at Cambia Health Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company hosts a number of employees with exciting backgrounds and ideas. There is a genuine interest in creating a health system that works better. There is an effort to be competitive with salary and benefits seeking a realistic work/life balance.

Cons

I have never worked in a company where there is so much pressure to find ways to work with the Catholic church. It took me by surprise. I struggle to find the best way to support my LGBTQ direct reports. I had several people pull me aside to suggest I be careful with how visible I am with my efforts. I sense there is an interest in becoming more inclusive but some values still have a strong undertone set and allowed to continue by executive leadership. When I started two years ago, I was excited to hear a great deal of talk about servant leadership. It was one of the reasons I accepted the position. Unfortunately, there is little I can point to where this is practiced. It is not something that is done overnight, but would like to see more proof points this is something Cambia is leaning in on for the long term.

Advice to Management

Change is good, continue to embrace. Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is important - and will be critical to being competitive in larger markets. This must be authentic and above the personal views of those in power to be successful. When your diversity and inclusion consultant to leadership says in a meeting that women are more prone to crying in the workplace you need to understand how this is taken by employees.

Aug 29, 2018 – Director, Employee Experience

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Cambia is committed to creating an outstanding, inclusive workplace where everyone can contribute to our Cause to make health care more sustainable... More

6. "Team atmosphere"

I have been working at Cambia Health Solutions part-time

Pros

Supportive top to everyone wants to help

Cons

Not enough hours and protocol could be better

Aug 8, 2018 – Director, Employee Experience

Thank you for recognizing the team spirit at Cambia. As we work to transform health care and realize our Cause, we are all partnering together. I'm curious about your comment regarding... More

7. "Great people"

I have been working at Cambia Health Solutions full-time

Pros

Great company with great people

Cons

Can be a bit conservative but that is market norm. Progressive on digital

Aug 2, 2018 – Director, Employee Experience

And your review is also great! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. If you would like to share any ideas on your experience at Cambia, please feel free to reach out to me.
    Elizabeth Hall... More

"Prepare for dysfunction if you choose to work here"

I worked at Cambia Health Solutions full-time

Pros

There are a few good people in management, but it isn't enough. Pay is competitive, benefits above average.

Cons

Dysfunctional management, broken culture, harassment of employees by managers is condoned.

Advice to Management

Provide targeted anti-harassment training. Talk to your employees and ask questions, listen to what they say and make the changes necessary to improve.

"Great intentions, mediocre execution"

Current Employee - Shared Services
    Current Employee - Shared Services

I have been working at Cambia Health Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work environment, just a very well intentioned company with great people. I love working for Cambia, but the cons are increasingly frustrating.

Cons

Poor execution of vision, saying all the right things then deciding to address issues 'next year'. If every year we're going to fix things next year, we're not really ever going to fix anything.

Lack of peer accountability and interdepartmental coordination is making Cambia a synergy black hole. Many people seem interested in fixing that, but none of them are actually willing to innovate or challenge the status quo to do it.

The company also seems to be more interested in the pet projects of senior manahement than improving health plan operations. Technological infrastructure about five to ten years behind other major insurers.

Advice to Management

In spite of the cons, I really do love what Cambia stands for and enjoy the work that I do. That's what makes it so disappointing to stare into a sea of solvable problems and know that 'next year' will never come.

Jul 31, 2018 – Director, Employee Experience

Thank you for your thoughtful review of your experience at Cambia. The company is at a time of great transformation as we work to realize our Cause. If you would like to share more about what you... More

"Pretty darned good...5+ years here so far"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cambia Health Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity. Lots of experience. Lots of platform exposure. Work from home.

Cons

Middle management is a political s---hole. Minimize exposure and life is good as an individual contributor. I have had 4 outstanding managers, 1 good manager, and 2 terrible managers here (lot of re-orgs and manager turnover plus couple of job moves I made = 1 new manager per year on average...would prefer 2-3 years per manager).

Advice to Management

Get middle management all rowing in the same direction...there is an awful lot of unnecessary political strife in this layer.

Jul 2, 2018 – Director, Employee Experience

Thank you for your feedback on your experience at Cambia. I agree this is a time of great opportunity for us! If you have specific feedback you would like to discuss on your "con" comments... More