The latest conversations about Teachers
Got a burning question about Cambly? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Cambly employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Flexible hours (you pick what works for you and you can decide at the last minute if you want to work a priority hour." (in 92 reviews)
- "Easy and flexible scheduling." (in 52 reviews)
- "Meet interesting people from around the world" (in 34 reviews)
- "Easiest job and great flexibility" (in 19 reviews)
- "Cambly has great students (so far) and it has a very easy to use media player." (in 11 reviews)
- "Low pay and the interface is constantly being updated with no clear guidelines about new features" (in 366 reviews)
- "The pay is low, and below minimum wage in most places in America after taxes." (in 20 reviews)
- "fi so you lose money and time with connection loss and hardly any teachers are professionals and have no certificates" (in 17 reviews)
- "no benefits More of a side hustle" (in 16 reviews)
- "Low pay, awful management who don't care about staff" (in 11 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Cambly and is not affected by filters.
- Race / Ethnicity
- Sexual Orientation
- Parent or Family Caregiver
- Veteran Status
Found 811 of over 1K reviews
Updated Sep 19, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 3.0Sep 12, 2023English TutorCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsNew York, NY
- flexible schedule, set what hours you want to work - meet cool people from all around the world - can take off how long you want (but in doing so, if you have a lot of regulars that like booking with you, then they may not come back if you take off too long) - weekend bonuses - actually this is a pro cuz yayyyy bonus, but its a con because the max the lowest bonus is 10% and the highest 30%, but it seems lately they only do the 10%, but typically you have to work THREE hours back to back to get this bonus
- Classic Cambly - the pay is abysmal at .17 cents a minute/$10.20 hour - Cambly Kids - a little better but still abysmal at .20 cents a minute/$12/hour ***from my understanding, Cambly hasn't given any raises in MANY years, but their CEO'S are rakin in the dough. - if you cancel too many lessons last minute you get put in "cambly jail" meaning your schedule is restricted to take calls from your regular students. (in actuality its not the worst, because if you've already built up a nice roster of regulars, you can still have enough lessons, as long as they're continuing to book with you) but being restricted doesn't allow you access to the PH(priority hours) - these PH's basically mean you're on-call, you MUST take all incoming calls while on one of these hours. - FREE TRIALS and Ma$turbator$ - yes you read that right, there are times when men call during a free trial and are doing nasty things. So while Cambly has made strides for tutors to have the ability to blur the students video, it still doesn't stop these sickos from creating new fake accounts and calling to do it over again. I've experienced it twice in one month and all Cambly tutor support is say "sorry, we're doing what we can, blah blah blah" very lack luster and generic automated response. They could care less. -Independent contractor, but NO not really, we get in trouble if too many lessons canceled last minute, can't set own rates, and their most recent contract update has stated that if tutors don't agree to their updated terms, then they can't work for Cambly. In these new terms, they say they can use your voice or picture along with AI in the future. That's all sorts of wrong. Even though you have to do your own taxes, again, not an independent contractor. - no health benefits or anything like that, that's where the "independent contractor" suits them.
Cambly Reviews FAQs
Cambly has an overall rating of 3.6 out of 5, based on over 1,332 reviews left anonymously by employees. 78% of employees would recommend working at Cambly to a friend and 50% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.
78% of Cambly employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Cambly 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.5 for culture and values and 2.6 for career opportunities.