Cambly Tutor Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Cambly CoFounder Kevin Law
Kevin Law

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Also enjoy working with students from all around the world" (in 25 reviews)

• "Able to work from home (or any quiet place with a good internet connection)" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "The pay is low and often not a lot of calls in your time frame that you have" (in 14 reviews)

• "Not completely booked at times during your Priority Hours" (in 25 reviews)

1. "Tutor"

I have been working at Cambly as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- Choose your hours
    - Meet students from around the globe
    - Easy to use platform with translation tool and screen-share

Cons

Many tutors tend to complain about pay, students, their rating, and technical support as if they did not know what they signed up for. I have had zero technical issues with the platform.

"Legitimate work from home job!"

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Cambly full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working for Cambly for about a month and it's exactly what I was looking for. I pick my own hours, work from home and get paid when I'm supposed to. You will not get rich working as a tutor at Cambly but you will get paid for every minute you work. The company is very transparent on what is expected and how you will be compensated, and they have absolutely held up their side of the deal.

I have met so many wonderful people (students) and I've made some real connections with some of them. This job is not easy, and you must be prepared to work. You will need patience both with students who are learning a new language, so they may struggle and with the amount of time it takes to build up relationships with them, so they come back to you time and time again. A good sense of humor and a lot of kindness will help as well.

I've read reviews with people complaining about the pay but as I said, Cambly is transparent and very upfront about how you will be paid. If that doesn't suit you or your life, this is not the job for you. Just read the description and know what you’re getting into pay wise and then make your choice.

Bottom line, this is an interesting and sometimes challenging job that I happen to love. You will be paid, but you will work for it.

Cons

I wish there were more priority hours available but outside of that, I have no real cons.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be about the rating system. I understand that you want to protect the students, but by not seeing how they rate us, or at least why they rate us good or bad, it's stopping tutors from learning from our mistakes, or our successes.

3. "Hoping for better hourly pay"

Former Employee - Tutor in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Tutor in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cambly part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Set your own hours. Work from home or anywhere, anytime. Meet interesting people.

Cons

Pitiful hourly pay. It would be great if there was hope for an increase in pay based on performance.

Advice to Management

Please consider the above.

"Answer to y prayers."

Current Employee - Tutor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

I have been working at Cambly part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

An American company. You choose your own hours. You're paid weekly. The library is a great asset, thank you.

Cons

The phone system needs tweaking. The PH's are in much need of more availability. There's not enough PH's for the new influx of new talent. Pay needs to increase some.

Advice to Management

Consider what the tutors have to put with. I know I take my job seriously while having a innocent laugh with the students you meet. I want to create a comfortable atmosphere where they'll want to learn, call bak and refer someone. The hanging up, and the insults are sometimes hard to swallow but we do because we know our needs best within our home.

5. "Very convenient work from home opportunity"

Current Contractor - ESL Tutor in Americus, GA
    Current Contractor - ESL Tutor in Americus, GA

I have been working at Cambly as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You have full control of your schedule, get to meet people from all over the world, and you have the ability to make $10 an hour from the comfort of your home. Over time you will gain regular students and have a nearly full schedule. I have only been with Cambly for a few weeks and I earned almost $2000. Working at Cambly has been an awesome experience.

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to open a call when multiple calls come. No worries though. That just means that our clients like you.

Advice to Management

n/a

6. "English Turor"

Current Freelancer - English Tutor in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Freelancer - English Tutor in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at Cambly (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, work from home, very enjoyable working with students in other countries.

Cons

None at this time. No downside for me.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and encouragement.

7. "Tutor"

I have been working at Cambly as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The students are very nice, interesting and motivated. And you have an extremely flexible schedule which you can change whenever you want. If you want to learn how to tutor ESL or just enjoy talking to people from other countries, it can be a good experience.

Cons

The platform often doesn't work well--there are many many crashes, times when the sound goes off, or the screen freezes, etc. --and I know it's not my internet because my connection is super high speed.
    Also, the pay is really low---there are many other places to tutor online that pay double this. I understand most of the students are from lower-earning countries than the U.S. so it would be hard to charge them much more--but as a tutor, it starts to feel like volunteer work.

Advice to Management

Raise the pay, especially for the kids program where you need to create all kinds of props and do lots of preparation. If VIP KIDS is paying $20 for the same thing, it's not enticing for you to pay $12. Also please fix the platform, it has sooooo many tech issues!

8. "Best Work From Home Job EVER!"

Current Employee - Tutor in Sweet, ID
    Current Employee - Tutor in Sweet, ID

I have been working at Cambly part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I do this because it is so flexible and rewarding. The support staff quickly resolve Technical, Payments, My Student Technical, Training/Suggestions and all other issues. I can work from anywhere that has internet and electricity. I have worked while living in Spain, vacationing across America in my RV and even while my wife was driving me to another state using my mobile hotspot and a laptop computer. I have so many great students that choose to fill in my schedule every week. I also can log on anytime if I don't have scheduled appointments. Here is a comment one of my students made today after having a bad day at work: "I hope. we'll see tomorrow. Thank you so much for your support. When I do class, I literally happy and my face looks like these emojies :) :)"

This is why I have enjoyed working for Cambly for over one and a half years.

Cons

The only con is when your student or you have a low connection speed, the audio and video can cut out. That is not Cambly's fault but it is a con when working with students with low network speeds.

9. "A good company for tutors to teach and students to learn English"

Current Employee - Student Tutor in Port St Lucie, FL
    Current Employee - Student Tutor in Port St Lucie, FL

I have been working at Cambly part-time (More than a year)

Pros

One on one contact with students
    Diversity of materials for students
    Good selection of priority hours

Cons

penalties for missing hours due to sudden power outages and internet problems

Advice to Management

Better communication, especially when tutors ask questions

10. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Tutor in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Tutor in Tampa, FL

I worked at Cambly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

make your own hours, great students and company is very receptive.

Cons

Sometimes the platform is buggy.

Advice to Management

Pay a bit more...$23 cents per min