Cambly Tutor Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Cambly CoFounder Kevin Law
Kevin Law

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Also enjoy working with students from all around the world" (in 16 reviews)

• "Able to work from home (or any quiet place with a good internet connection)" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Priority Hours are sometimes unavailable for your preferred time so there is no guarantee you will make what you want or need in a given day" (in 15 reviews)

• "The pay is low, but so is your commitment if you so choose" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Tutor"

Current Contractor - Tutor in Sylvania, OH
    Current Contractor - Tutor in Sylvania, OH

I have been working at Cambly as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Cambly has an easy to use a Website Platform that covers all the bases from my perspective. It has great resources that you can use to help tutor students from around the world. The video links through the site are superb. Also, they always pay for work done as advertised. I recommend Cambly to any English speaker that desires to help foreigners learn English and earn extra money.

Cons

I have not experienced a downside yet.

Advice to Management

Just make sure that students understand if messaging a tutor does or does not count against their talk minutes with any tutor.

2. "Good Side Work. Hard Full Time Gig"

Current Employee - Online Tutor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Online Tutor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cambly part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Completely make your own schedule. If you are not reliant on Cambly for a paycheck it can be a very rewarding side job.

Cons

You may not make the hourly estimate ($10.20) for weeks. Flashers are also common enough to beware of.

Advice to Management

Be more attentive to your tutors when there are consistent complaints. Update your student agreements to include warnings against lewd and offensive behavior/language.

"Cambly Tutor"

Current Employee - Tutor in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Tutor in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Cambly part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible and an excellent way to subsidize your income! The website is easy to comprehend and use. Support staff and online facebook group answers questions and concerns in a timely manner. Payment recieved weekly!
    Great way to experience other cultures without leaving the convenience of your home!

Cons

Not many so far, only pay could stand to be increased a bit.

Advice to Management

At this time, I have none to give.

4. "Good for SAHM's"

Current Contractor - Tutor in Kent, WA
    Current Contractor - Tutor in Kent, WA

I have been working at Cambly as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home , good for SAHM's.

Cons

Only .17c an hour. Not many hours.

Advice to Management

Raise pay and work opportunities

"It gets old very quickly"

Former Employee - Tutor
    Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Cambly part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling of classes and ability to work from home. About the only thing positive I can say about the company is it does have a very flexible system but you have to get priority hours to make money on the system and the company is somewhat unreliable with how often they release priority hours. You can work from home so it does offer much flexibility.

Cons

Unprofessional staff
    So many trial students who are not serious about lessons
    Super slow and buggy system

The staff is incredibly sensitive and unprofessional. Don't complain or question the system or they will immediately get very sensitive and difficult to deal with. The company's proprietary system is very slow and has many glitches but the staff will blame everything on you no matter what. Staff tried to tell me it was my internet connection when I could show speed tests showing I had an excellent connection. Be careful dealing with staff because they will deactivate you if you are too strong in your questioning. I believe the company constantly over staffs and then tries to find any reason to get rid of tutors who question the company. Also the company constantly gives out free trials out and many of these students are not serious at all about learning English. Prepared to have some derogatory insults hurled at you. I got called darkie and negro several times but towards the end the company provided a method to ban those types of students.

Advice to Management

Not every problem on your system is the tutor's fault. Stop threatening to deactivate trainers who question your glitchy system. Value tutors who make your company interesting for your students.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Tutor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Tutor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Cambly part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Set your own schedule, meet interesting people from around the world, earn income

Cons

Pay is relatively low, but the more you work, the more you can make

"Great Platform, Not Great Pay"

Current Freelancer - Tutor
    Current Freelancer - Tutor

I have been working at Cambly (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to meet so many people from around the world. The website is very easy to use. Management and Support are available and have good communication. You're able to work as much or as little as you want and whenever you want so the schedule is extremely flexible.

Cons

The pay is not good (about $10 per hour). You can't link the Cambly reservation or priority calendar with your google calendar, so it's hard to keep track of sometimes.

8. "Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - ESL Tutor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - ESL Tutor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Cambly part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to develop teaching skills, learn the curriculum and work with ESL students.

Cons

I can be more difficult than what it seems. It requires a lot of patience, quick thinking and knowledge of communication and the English language.

Advice to Management

I don't really like the rating system.

"Unique and Flexible Opportunity"

Current Contractor - ESL Tutor
    Current Contractor - ESL Tutor

I have been working at Cambly as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

-You get to meet people from all over the world and help them practice their English. The majority of people I have met are really nice to talk to and I have had enjoyable conversations.
    -Able to work from home (or any quiet place with a good internet connection)
    -Very flexible hours/scheduling
    -Not micro-managed (You get to teach in your own style. For example, I did well in my English classes, but it's been years since I've studied the proper English rules, so I am not always able to explain the grammar rules, especially in the moment. I just try to be friendly and help people with their casual conversation skills. This will work well for some students, especially if you set this expectation with them, and other students have the opportunity to find another tutor if they need more advanced explanations or skills.)
    -Some tutors have complained about the pay-rate, but I think it is fair for the flexibility they offer and the skill level that they require. Plus, it helps keep the costs affordable for the students. It is not a super high-paying job, but your success depends on your skills and how much effort you put into it.

Cons

-It may be difficult if you do not have computer/tech. skills (Fortunately for me, my husband is a computer nerd, so I basically have my own personal IT guy and have not had any major issues.)
    -It is a lot to learn really fast (If you have not taught English before, like me, then you will have to learn to think on your feet and come up with open-ended questions or explanations really quickly. You will also have to learn how to read people and help the student with what they are wanting to learn. It helps to build a library of resources that you know well and can teach at a moment's notice.)
    -Sometimes you might have an interaction with a difficult person or need to help a person in a free trial when their English skill levels do not match the levels that you are best with, which is challenging. If you go into it with an open mind and are able to talk to people with different ideas and backgrounds than your own, then you will probably be able to be successful. It also helps to be able to laugh off the times when students are not serious about learning English and just move on.
    -The availability of work can vary depending on your skills at gaining regular students and the student/tutor ratios. This job probably works the best as just side income.

Advice to Management

-It would be helpful to have a "recuperation" button (different than the "break" button) in a situation where a student was very rude or inappropriate (especially to the point of requiring a ban), so that you have time to write/send a report and are also able to recover gather your thoughts before immediately answering another call during Priority Hours. Another idea is just to include that time after the ban or report buttons are pressed.

"Rating System"

Former Employee - Tutor in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Tutor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Cambly (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home, Okayish pay, meet different people.

Cons

Your voice will start to hurt, have to deal with some frustrating people. If someone doesn't like you just because, they can just give you a bad rating which can completely screw you over. Company doesn't care about you too much compared to getting money from their customers and keeping them happy.