Cambly Tutor Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Cambly CoFounder Kevin Law
Kevin Law

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Also enjoy working with students from all around the world" (in 15 reviews)

• "Able to work from home (or any quiet place with a good internet connection)" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Now I feel there are no priority hours to work" (in 15 reviews)

• "The pay is low, but so is your commitment if you so choose" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - ESL Tutor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - ESL Tutor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Cambly part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to develop teaching skills, learn the curriculum and work with ESL students.

Cons

I can be more difficult than what it seems. It requires a lot of patience, quick thinking and knowledge of communication and the English language.

Advice to Management

I don't really like the rating system.

"Unique and Flexible Opportunity"

Current Contractor - ESL Tutor
    Current Contractor - ESL Tutor

I have been working at Cambly as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

-You get to meet people from all over the world and help them practice their English. The majority of people I have met are really nice to talk to and I have had enjoyable conversations.
    -Able to work from home (or any quiet place with a good internet connection)
    -Very flexible hours/scheduling
    -Not micro-managed (You get to teach in your own style. For example, I did well in my English classes, but it's been years since I've studied the proper English rules, so I am not always able to explain the grammar rules, especially in the moment. I just try to be friendly and help people with their casual conversation skills. This will work well for some students, especially if you set this expectation with them, and other students have the opportunity to find another tutor if they need more advanced explanations or skills.)
    -Some tutors have complained about the pay-rate, but I think it is fair for the flexibility they offer and the skill level that they require. Plus, it helps keep the costs affordable for the students. It is not a super high-paying job, but your success depends on your skills and how much effort you put into it.

Cons

-It may be difficult if you do not have computer/tech. skills (Fortunately for me, my husband is a computer nerd, so I basically have my own personal IT guy and have not had any major issues.)
    -It is a lot to learn really fast (If you have not taught English before, like me, then you will have to learn to think on your feet and come up with open-ended questions or explanations really quickly. You will also have to learn how to read people and help the student with what they are wanting to learn. It helps to build a library of resources that you know well and can teach at a moment's notice.)
    -Sometimes you might have an interaction with a difficult person or need to help a person in a free trial when their English skill levels do not match the levels that you are best with, which is challenging. If you go into it with an open mind and are able to talk to people with different ideas and backgrounds than your own, then you will probably be able to be successful. It also helps to be able to laugh off the times when students are not serious about learning English and just move on.
    -The availability of work can vary depending on your skills at gaining regular students and the student/tutor ratios. This job probably works the best as just side income.

Advice to Management

-It would be helpful to have a "recuperation" button (different than the "break" button) in a situation where a student was very rude or inappropriate (especially to the point of requiring a ban), so that you have time to write/send a report and are also able to recover gather your thoughts before immediately answering another call during Priority Hours. Another idea is just to include that time after the ban or report buttons are pressed.

3. "Rating System"

Former Employee - Tutor in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Tutor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Cambly (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home, Okayish pay, meet different people.

Cons

Your voice will start to hurt, have to deal with some frustrating people. If someone doesn't like you just because, they can just give you a bad rating which can completely screw you over. Company doesn't care about you too much compared to getting money from their customers and keeping them happy.

"A Great Opportunity To Get Your ESL Teaching Experience"

Current Employee - English Tutor in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - English Tutor in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cambly full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Great Platform
    *Responsive to technical questions
    *Thorough FAQ
    *Make your own schedule
    *Use your own lesson plans or use their Library of suggestions

Overall: This job is what you make it. I have worked for 7 days, 8 hours a day, and have earned about $600.

Cons

*5 minutes to pee every hour... Needs to be longer.
    *Tutors should be making a nickel more a minute
    *Occasionally, you see penises, get harassed for Snapchat or WeChat information.
    *Glitchy call system on occasion

"Tutoring"

Current Employee - Private Tutor in Derby, KS
    Current Employee - Private Tutor in Derby, KS

I have been working at Cambly part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The students you can meet are interesting and I enjoy talking to them.

Cons

Cambly has a rating scale. I have been rated by someone and I am not given those reviews to know what I can improve or what a student likes. When I began there were opportunities to work. Now I feel there are no priority hours to work. They will lose tutors because we want to work and are not allowed. The pay in not exceptional but would be adequate if given the chance to work.

"After one month in, Cambly is a big win for me"

Current Employee - Cambly English Tutor and Freelance Tech Writer in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Cambly part-time

Pros

The total flexibility of hours worked is a big plus for me as a freelance writer with an irregular assignment and travel schedule.

In a little over 30 days, I've talked with 365 people, many for multiple chats. Most of my callers have been from Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Brazil, South Korea, and India, but I've also talked with people from maybe two dozen other countries.

The Cambly platform works well, especially given the huge throughput from many concurrent video two-way streams which the company also records.

Support services respond with personal notes, usually within a day or two.

I made a point of being specific about my background in both written and video introductions that student can view before choosing to speak with me. I'm have been and continue as an active tech writer for more than 30 years. Many callers tell me on our first call they chose me because my profile expresses my eagerness to talk about technology and business.

Some calls are giggling teenagers, but the vast majority in my experience have been business or professional people or college or graduate students with an intermediate level of English proficiency. Most are in or preparing for new positions which require a higher level of English fluency. They are a determined group intent on improving.

The conversations are fun and I'm learning a great deal about other cultures.

I also get a sense that I'm representing our country, which is a nice feeling. Plus I'm pleased to hear about the high regard in which most people hold the U.S.

A few hours on Cambly is a nice counterbalance to my usual work time hunched over a keyboard in my home office.

You get exactly what's described on the Cambly site. Pay is $0.17 per minute and it's paid to your Paypal account each Monday. Some think that means $10.20 an hour, and it does, but only if every single minute of the hour is in conversations. My average minutes on calls is gradually rising, but after four full weeks, I'm averaging about $7.00 an hour.

Cons

The site's high bandwidth at times can make responses a bit slow. In general, it works well, but sometimes waiting for a response can make you double click unnecessarily when lengths response time further.

The pay rate is low, but as is the case with many other tutors I've conversed with on Cambly Facebook groups, as a highly flexible part-time gig, it's fine if you're using it for date money or coffee money or, as in my case, to replace some outdated tech and office equipment. Some tutors report making their entire living with Cambly, but they usually live in in areas where the cost of living is much less than in the U.S.

Advice to Management

Good job, please continue to bump up the throughput to improve site responsiveness.

"Very Easy Gig"

Current Employee - English Tutor in Yuma, AZ
    Current Employee - English Tutor in Yuma, AZ

I have been working at Cambly (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy platform to use; easy access to lessons or use your own; students are typically friendly and eager

Cons

Five min free talk time offered to anyone brings some childish or aggressive people online HOWEVER by the simple click of a button that person is banned from the system for life.

"Sucks, waste of time, don't bother!!"

Current Freelancer - English Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Freelancer - English Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cambly (More than a year)

Pros

If you are hard up for cash then go for it, otherwise go to other sites that pay much more and have better support.

Cons

you can make much more money and have better support on Italki, Palfish, Boxfish, ITutor, eBerlitz, Englishunt, Gising English, and any other site. Cambly pays the least of any site. The students are pretty much a joke, all they want to do is just waste time talking, they don't study anything. It's almost just a social site. I think a lot of Arabs like to talk to foreign woman without the covering of their hair and face. A complete joke this site is!!!!!

Advice to Management

take the advice of your terachers, improve the rating system, pay, interface, etc, etc.

"Tutor"

Former Freelancer - English Tutor in Greensboro, NC
    Former Freelancer - English Tutor in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Cambly (Less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely loved the work! It wasn't hard to learn the ropes, and tutoring the students was genuinely fun. When I was waiting for calls I was able to do other small desk tasks that normally eat up my day. I could answer emails or update my calendar, even look for other freelance work. For working at home the money wasn't that bad either. I averaged 45-50 minutes an hour of talk time which is what you are paid for

Cons

It isn't great money if you are trying to support yourself on it. When I needed technical help with signing up for my hours, I got the same form email over and over. When I sent a message to about my difficulties and frustration, saying I loved the work but didn't have time to waste not working and trying to work - they fired me. Weeks later I got an answer to my original question and they didn't even know they had terminated me.

Advice to Management

Make it easier for your tutors to get support and work harder to retain employees when there is a difficulty

"Cambly is the best job I have ever had!"

Current Employee - Cambly Online Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Cambly Online Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cambly part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros of Cambly are endless. I can create my own schedule , the hours are around the clock ( 24 hours a day) . I love this flexibility and I feel so lucky to have found this opportunity. Besides the occasional glitch, the Cambly platform is well organized and I like the set up. The students are interesting and inspiring people. I look forward to my regulars, and I look forward to meeting new students.

Cons

The website often stalls and freezes. It is not always this way, only sometimes. I invested in a fiber optic internet plan so my connection is always great. However sometimes the student on the recieving end has a very bad connection and drops off. When the Cambly page is really slow it makes it difficult to answer the calls , but most of the time it is fine. If that was fixed, Cambly would be no doubt the most perfect platform ever.

Advice to Management

No advice... only gratitude.... Cambly is awesome. If anything, just please sort out minor technical issues . I have a stable environment , brand new computer, and fiber optic internet. Teaching online is my career and I invest in providing the best possible connection for my students and for the company that I work for. Sometimes the connectivity is bad due to the student's poor wifi or perhaps the website is freezing a bit. Other than that, Camblyis perfect, thank you , I love this job. :)