Cambridge Assessment Reviews | Glassdoor

Cambridge Assessment Group Chief Executive Officer Simon Lebus
Simon Lebus

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Senior management requires a thorough overhaul (in 6 reviews)

• Not enough clear career progression for me (in 4 reviews)

1. "Excellent organisation"

I worked at Cambridge Assessment full-time

Pros

You will work with thoughtful, professional people and the work is challenging, engaging and rewarding. The organization has a strong sense of mission and works to treat staff well.

Cons

Can be a little bureaucratic. The performance related pay system is a bit of a shambles.

Advice to Management

Fix the PMS system. It's either performance related or not.

2. "Not a cultural fit for me."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Cambridge Assessment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of potential for the organization to do good, to be an industry leader and many fine people working there.

Cons

Failures to hold people accountable, push to be better and to reconcile aspirations with the reality of working there today.

Advice to Management

Think really hard about who you want to be and make the tough decisions to get there. There is a bizarre sense of entitlement that employees have and that leadership panders to more than I've seen at other organizations.

Sep 22, 2017 – Group Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thank you for your recent review on your time spent working at Cambridge Assessment.  Our culture is quite unique as a 150 year old organisation which is evolving to ensure we are focussed on the... More

3. "Good people but bureaucratic"

I have been working at Cambridge Assessment full-time

Pros

Some of the smartest, kindest, most passionate, most enjoyable to be around people you will ever meet. If you're content within your current role, it's a great place to work

Cons

Slow, lumbering bureaucracy - it's almost impossible to get anything done. Everyone in the building is working way above their grade, so there's no incentive to promote anyone (because they're getting the work for free). Hardly anyone is ever promoted - most just leave and go elsewhere (unless you're the very specific kind of Oxbridge graduate ex-teacher who thrives there)

Advice to Management

Stop trying to focus your "hierarchy" concerns on the junior managers - the REAL problem is the siloed kingdoms run by the C-suite.

Aug 24, 2017 – Group Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thanks for sharing your views on your experiences so far working at Cambridge Assessment. On average 35% of our offers go to internal candidates and we look to support our employees in their career... More

4. "A great place to work, that is working hard to make things even better"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Cambridge Assessment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My line manager is excellent. She has encouraged my growth and confidence, as well as being flexible when the needs of my (young) family required.

Alongside this, Cambridge Assessment has a real commitment to developing their staff. Whether that is through learning and development, wellbeing initiatives or of particular importance in my roll, access to relevant equipment and software.

Collaboration is one of our values - and you see this in action all the time as people work hard together across the different parts of our business.

I feel secure and supported at Cambridge Assessment.

Cons

There are times when I think we could do things quicker.

As well as having offices in Coventry, and overseas we currently have many offices in central Cambridge which, whilst it has its advantages, is not always ideal. We are, however, due to move to a brand new Cambridge headquarters soon (Q1 2018).

It currently takes me about 45 minutes to travel to the office. It would be great to have a shorter commute.

Advice to Management

My advice largely is to keep doing what you are doing!

Aug 24, 2017 – Group Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thanks for sharing your views on your experiences working with us.  It's great to hear that you have the flexibility you need to support your young family, and are looking forward to our move to the... More

5. "Evidence of truly valuing good employees and working to retain them"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Cambridge Assessment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Annual salary increases and bonuses
    - Robust and supportive performance review system
    - Great Cambridge location, with shiny new offices on the way!

Cons

- Hit and miss senior managers
    - Pay grade culture

Advice to Management

Keep implementing new forward-thinking HR and IT solutions and working styles. (This is already in evidence but it's just the beginning of a big culture change - I've noticed really positive changes in the last three years)

Aug 24, 2017 – Group Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thanks for your comments and reflection on the journey we are currently on.  Sounds like you are as excited as we are about moving to our new offices in 2018.  Not long now ….  !

6. "Good overall, though can be quite traditional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Cambridge Assessment (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large organisation in Cambridge, so lots of opportunities within the organisation to move / develop. Supportive employer with good benefits and nice colleagues.

Cons

Can be quite risk averse due to core nature of the business (exams) and education lags behind other areas in terms of uptake of new technologies. This can be frustrating when trying to push forward new initiatives.

Aug 24, 2017 – Group Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thank you for your comments on your time spent at Cambridge Assessment.  It can be said that we are on a journey of change.  The portfolio of IT projects is varied, from short sprints through to... More

7. "Great Opportunities & Collaborative Working"

I have been working at Cambridge Assessment full-time

Pros

Great Leadership
    Good Opportunities for Personal Growth

Cons

Haven't discovered any so far.

Aug 24, 2017 – Group Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thank you for your review and great to hear that you are enjoying your time at Cambridge Assessment.

8. "Excellent employers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Cambridge Assessment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training, development opportunities, benefits and a great place to work

Cons

Salary could be better, especially for living in Cambridge which is just as expensive as London

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, maybe look at more flexible working

Aug 24, 2017 – Group Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Our reward philosophy is to consider factors such as price inflation and local affordability and work to ensure that we are in line with the local... More

"Avoid completely if you can. Never accept any job offer at grade C or D."

Former Employee - Test Production Administrator in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Cambridge Assessment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a job, you can say you are employed...
    Flexible working hours?
    People usually get fooled by its Association with the University of Cambridge

Cons

Low ethics, poor management, very bureaucratic, a lot of old elephants, no career progression opportunities, nepotism and favouritism in promotion, unprofessional HR department with no power, work to death!

Advice to Management

Change, then change and after that change again...
    Have a clear promotional strange and make sure it is communicated
    Give your stuff hope before they give up

Aug 24, 2017 – Group Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and we appreciate you highlighting your experiences whilst working with us.  In the last 12 months 35% of our hires have come internally and we... More

"Exciting times"

Pros

Friendly team
    Collaborative approach
    Trust and ownership
    Great location and next year the Triangle!
    Great work life balance and benefits

Cons

None so far that I can consider worthy of mentioning.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and talking to your teams.

Aug 24, 2017 – Group Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thank you for your review and great to hear that you are enjoying your time working at Cambridge Assessment!