Cambridge Associates, LLC Consulting Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Consulting Associate

3.2
David Druley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is a positive (in 51 reviews)

• The opportunity to learn is there (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours (depending on staffing, 60 hours a week can be the norm) (in 20 reviews)

• Manual data entry can be tiresome (in 15 reviews)

"Good job out of college"

Current Employee - Senior Consulting Associate Team Leader in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consulting Associate Team Leader in Arlington, VA

Pros

Good mentorship. good training program.

Cons

bureacratic. strict rules around timelines for promotions

2. "nice place to work"

Former Employee - Associate Research Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Research Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC (More than a year)

Pros

great work/life balance, nice people

Cons

struggles in leadership resulting in lack of career growth trajectory for RC level employees

3. "Good stepping stone to business school"

Former Employee - Senior Consulting Associate Team Leader in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Consulting Associate Team Leader in Boston, MA

Pros

Good funnel into business schools - most associates who left for b-school got into a top 15 ranked school, and into one of their top two choices.

Cons

Senior management does not invest (both on a dollar and time basis) in its low- and mid-level employees.

"Review of Associate Role"

Former Employee - Consulting Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Consulting Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

Pros

- Great People, and strong academic culture for those interested in learning more about investments.
    - Good benefits (401k, Insurance, PTO)
    - CFA Reimbursement / Top-Notch grad school opportunities make the Associate experience a great career-starter.

Cons

- Lower than average comp for hours worked has resulted in higher turnover at the Associate level. It also (seemingly) strains recruiting efforts, as top candidates go to better-paying firms.
    - Experience on the consulting side is 100% determined by the Directors you are staffed on clients with.
    - Little motivation to outperform; top performers are simply given more clients and eventually burnt out by overstaffing.
    - Management is slow-moving on strategic decision-making and seems uninterested in having a transparent discussion about the direction of the firm. The last Glassdoor review that constructively assessed these misalignments was promptly deleted. I think this speaks to the attitude of those at the top.

Advice to Management

- Hire more employees at different entry levels (ex] hire from outside rather than simply promote from within)
    - Recognize that it will be an upward battle to continue to retain talent if compensation packages remain where they are.

5. "Great place to start a career"

Current Employee - Consulting Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consulting Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people, the research, the ability to meet with industry leading investment managers

Cons

pay relative to hours worked is not competitive. develop plenty of soft skills but few hard skills.

Advice to Management

pay more or hire more to decrease the analyst-level workload

"Great Company to start career"

Former Employee - Senior Consulting Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consulting Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefit Package,
    Depending on position, you have great exposure to investment management from some highly skilled consultants.
    Wide array of tools to develop skills and career.
    Subsidized CFA exam fees, if pass
    Great atmosphere. Steady Work/Life balance.

Cons

Low Salary compared to profession.
    Associates do most of work, little to no recognition
    Different personalities, some consultants are better to work with than others
    Company is way behind when it comes to systems and technology.
    Feels as if the firm is very reactionary at time

Advice to Management

Employees love the promote with-in structure, but there needs to be a system in place to allow investment professionals to stay with CA and be promoted to next tier.

"Great culture/learning opportunities, but non-competitive salary for hours demanded"

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Culture is great--firm-wide outing, good benefits (vacation time is generous), friendly team-centric atmosphere
    -Lots of young people in associate/analyst roles makes for a social firm
    -PD is highly encouraged--opportunity to attend and present at client meetings early on, business schools present at the office, attending manager meetings is encouraged and open to all
    -Opportunity to learn about all asset classes and work on many different client types
    -Associates who want to go onto business school get into top ten schools regularly and the CA name is well known and respected, at least in Boston

Cons

-The salary is not competitive in the finance or consulting industries, and while the entry level salary is okay, the promotion increases and bonuses are basically non-existent which can be demoralizing
    -While the Associate group is very social and bonds quickly over the long hours, at times morale can be low among the group because the pay is really not commensurate with the hours expected and frustration breeds
    -Promotions are decided by "peer" leaders, who read the feedback from the consultants you work with and then summarize it and present it to you. This quickly becomes a popularity contest and puts an unnecessary "middle man" in the feedback loop.

Advice to Management

-Increase the pay jump for the promotion between Consulting Associate and Senior Consulting Associate
    -Recognize that burnout is a real threat to providing high quality service to our clients, and don't trim the number of Associates when you think about tightening the budgets--a small trim makes a real negative impact on the group and on our work/life balance
    -Don't cut the auxiliary team opportunities as Associates are more in demand on client work--this is a major recruiting draw for undergraduates coming out of college and is valuable to both their PD and the firm, as they provide marketing, Excel, Recruiting, etc. support

"Great Firm with Strong Growth Opportunities"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

Pros

Much like any thing in life, you get out of it what you put into it. The firm values hard work, dedication, mission alignment, and intellectual curiosity. I found myself intellectually stimulated and was always encouraged to take on additional projects that were of interest or fit within my skill set. The experience I gained through both my normal position and the additional projects on which I worked gave me a rich story pool for business school essays.

The real reason you should consider Cambridge is for the people. Yes, the work can be hard. Yes, some parts of it can feel repetitive depending on your position in the organization. However, you will have the ability to work with, and more importantly learn from, exceptionally smart and talented people who take a personal interest in your success. The relationships I left with were truly invaluable, and I’m amazed at how much I grew, both personally and professionally, because of the mentorship I received while employed in the Dallas office.

Cons

The organization is relatively flat, so if you need a title the transition may be difficult.

Advice to Management

Hire a dedicated CTO; that will fix many of the IT problems (planning, integration, incorporating strategic goals and technological capabilities, etc.). Don’t forget to nurture the culture. The culture (and tie in with our members) was one of my favorite things about working at Cambridge, and it transitioned/developed a distinct finance flare.

9. "Great firm"

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture, well-respected firm and good work-life balance

Cons

Not the highest pay in the investment world, but that goes for all consultants

"Excellent experience where I learned a lot very quickly and had access to incredibly talented investment professionals."

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work / life balance with opportunities to learn a lot about portfolio management quickly.

Cons

There is a ceiling on how high you can move up and the pay grades by department are a little skewed. Like most other finance jobs, associates do the leg work and don't get recognized for it.

Advice to Management

Incentivize young employees better so that you retain talent longer. Provide more career opportunities into middle management positions.