Cambridge Associates, LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 25, 2017

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Druley

Pros
  • Work-life balance is a positive (in 50 reviews)

• The opportunity to learn is there (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours (depending on staffing, 60 hours a week can be the norm) (in 20 reviews)

• Manual data entry can be tiresome (in 15 reviews)

1. "Supportive, collaborative environment"

Former Intern - Summer Investment Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Summer Investment Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Very intelligent people from top-tier schools, everyone willing to help, direct access to a lot of senior level people, great exit opportunities for B-school and consulting

Cons

Not a particularly transferable skill set outside of investment management/investment consulting. Low pay considering the top talent they attract

"The Performance Reporting Group was the perfect place to start a career"

Former Employee - Senior Investment Performance Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Investment Performance Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Management is incredibly supportive of their employees.
    -Close bonds are forged between employees and management.
    -D&R has an entrepreneurial spirit that contradicts what you might expect from a large financial institution.
    -There are always opportunities to get involved. Inspires personal and professional growth by empowering employees to decide when and how they want to get involved in these opportunities and make valuable contributions.
    -Open lines of communication between management and their employees--they want to know how to best serve you as their employee and help them develop.
    -Opportunities to interact with a number of different groups within the firm from within D&R.
    -Although the career trajectory in PRG levels off at Senior Analyst, there are opportunities to move into a new role within Cambridge, and management is supportive of helping you as the employee find your niche (both while working in D&R and when starting to think about moving outside of the group).
    -Opportunity to work on complex client relationships, hone strong relationship building, communication, and organizational skills.
    -Incredible flexibility and great benefits.
    -Instrumental in developing core professional skills.

Cons

This isn't a con as much as a comment and piece of advice:

-If you allow yourself to get bored or discouraged, the core work at times can be boring and discouraging. There are many opportunities available to employees of all tenure levels to pursue to mitigate the feelings that may arise for some employees as a function of the cyclical nature of the core work. Get involved in these opportunities.

Advice to Management

Even though it's important to be cohesive as a management team, work towards your strengths! If one manager's preference is more towards projects, help them manage people who are most interested in projects so that they can collaborate and learn from one another. If another manager's preference is people, allow them to manage the people centered projects. The management team already does a good job of doing this, but I think it's important to keep it in mind so that management can continue feeling valuable and employees can continue to grow.

3. "Great name recognition, interesting job"

Current Employee - Junior Investment Performance Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Junior Investment Performance Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cambridge is the top institutional investment advisor in the US (and possible the world), that name recognition it itself is priceless. But the firm is really focused on employee development and engagement as well which makes for a great combination.

Cons

The position of performance reporting can be a bit repetitive, but the exit opportunities that come from the job make up for this. Most people go on to work for a top investment firm or go to a top 20 MBA.

Advice to Management

Higher salary for entry level, salary becomes competitive after first promotion at 6 months. But those first 6 months can be disappointing when it comes to salary. Although, overtime is a nice pro when it comes to salary.

4. "Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for.

Cons

none that I know of

5. "Strong Collaberative Environment with Personalized Focus on Success"

Current Employee - Investment Performance Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Investment Performance Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started at Cambridge Associates right out of college and have really grown as an employee and a leader during my time here. To start- the collaborative team environment is the perfect place to grow independently, but still feel the support of a team. Everyone in the office is genuinely interested in the success of others. Management has an open door policy, that unlike most financial firms is actually open door. They actively listen to employees concerns/interests and make changes on a real time basis. Cambridge also provides the ability to move into other roles within the firm. Lastly, there is a strong work life balance with the role and the collegiate environment makes it easy to create friendships in and out of the office.

Cons

This role is not typically a client facing position. While relationships are built with the Investment Directors and clients, it is hard to not be able to meet with them face to face.

6. "Intern at Cambridge"

Current Intern - Summer Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Intern - Summer Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Super collegiate and collaborative work environment. Most associates only a few years out of college or less and they like to hangout together and have fun.

Great learning opportunities and ability to sink teeth into a particular subject. People are really willing to help you grow.

Superb access to top tier managers with open door policy for manager meetings at the firm.

Cons

Ability to move up in the firm from an investment associate to an investment director and above is growing but still limited.

Advice to Management

Improve on defining the path to moving up within Cambridge and increase associate/director communication outside of client teams so associates can learn more from investment directors.

"Solid company to start your career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

Working here is pretty much what you make of it. You could go on to complete your CFA, go on to work at a Hedge Fund or get into a top MBA program, OR you could trudge into work everyday, do what you're told and clock out promptly at 4:59 pm.

There's a ton of opportunity if you know where to look (volunteer for projects that come up!). I thought the company treated its employees fairly, and I liked the people I worked with. Towards the end, I was going out to the bar for a drink with my colleagues on Thursday nights, and I genuinely enjoyed their friendships. I know of more senior people who worked at big banks only to return to CA for the collegiate, intellectual atmosphere.

My boss offered me opportunities to learn and was accommodating to a schedule in which I arrived at work slightly earlier and left slightly earlier. This allowed me to go kayaking almost every night during the summer, which was huge for work/life balance. Also, when I left for a new opportunity, the new company told me that they highly valued seeing Cambridge Associates on my resume.

Additionally, when I was there , Sandra Urie was the CEO, and I can't say enough good things about her. I've never met such a kind, intelligent person. She was soft-spoken when I met her, but surprisingly patient and a great listener (qualities I've found are rare in my interactions with other executives).

Cons

The work can be tedious and uninspiring--especially if all you do is reporting or data entry. If you're in that role, you should meet your deliverables and search for side projects.

The pay was not competitive--particularly for the industry. However, at a younger age, you may be better off accepting lower pay for a solid footing into the industry. Despite being offered opportunities to learn, I left for higher pay, and I regret that decision. CA is old-fashioned, measured, intellectual and built on trusted client relationships. They are the steady hand on the investment tiller. If you suffer from this illusion that finance should be exciting, insanely remunerative and fast-paced, CA is probably not the place for you.

"Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great firm, very collegiate atmosphere. Management is top notch. Female CEO

Cons

Would improve technology.

9. "Great Place to Learn and Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cambridge is a great place to learn and grow your career. It is a very collegiate environment, and the work/life balance is very good for the finance industry.

Cons

There have been several leadership changes/reorgs, but the most current reorg was well thought out and seems like it will lead to a very promising future. Also, the pay and benefits are good, but not as competitive as other firms.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on keeping the culture of the firm true to how it has been in the past. Invest in your employees more, and encourage learning and growth more.

10. "Senior Investment Associate"

Current Employee - Senior Investment Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Investment Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great learning opportunity to learn about investments and portfolio construction

Cons

Grossly underpaid relative to the industry and the hours of work completed