Cambridge Associates, LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Cambridge Associates, LLC Reviews

Updated July 12, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is a positive (in 51 reviews)

• The opportunity to learn is there (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours (depending on staffing, 60 hours a week can be the norm) (in 20 reviews)

• Manual data entry can be tiresome (in 15 reviews)

1. "Performance Reporting Group"

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent health insurance, good name to have on your resume

Cons

Low compensation relative to the rest of the industry, not many options for career development, lack of career advice/development for entry level employees. The work is also very repetitive and very cyclical. The firm is extremely compartmentalized which results in confusion/tension between departments

Advice to Management

More transparency between departments, understand that for most Junior Associates it is their first job out of college and they may need advice/guidance even if they don't explicitly ask for it.

2. "Investment Performance Analyst"

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to start your career.
    Amazing co-workers and I love my manager. They have become my best friends.
    Lots of opportunity to get involved in other teams than your core work
    No overtime if you don't want to do it and are clear with your manager.

Cons

-No room for growth
    -No room for creativity
    -Core work is boring
    - VERY outdated technology

Advice to Management

Invest in technology.

"Solid Job for Starting your Career"

Current Employee - Investment Performance Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work right out of college! The Performance Reporting Group is young and the company values having coworkers involved and having friends at work, often sponsoring happy hours and events for bonding. Decent pay for a position straight out of college.

Cons

Not a lot of room to grow. There are four promotions and then you're done, which means a lot of turnover in the department. Managers don't get any training and since I've started we went from three managers to seven - there's definitely a worry of over-management happening. Don't get me wrong- the managers are super nice and good to work with, but really just aren't qualified for the job of helping you gain direction or get decent feedback.

Advice to Management

Cut it out with adding new managers. If you're promoting unqualified people to be managers to keep them from leaving the company maybe you need to restructure the promotions available without just deciding everyone we like can suddenly manage people - something incredibly different from the technical work we do in the department.

4. "Investment Performance Analyst"

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

Pros

Flex time, smart coworkers, great people to work with, good entry level exposure to the industry

Cons

Long hours during peak time, tedious work, no growth in the company, gossipy and incompetent management

5. "Performance analyst"

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC (More than a year)

Pros

The Office has a great atmosphere and the people at CA are great to work with and very collegial environment

Cons

The work can be very repetitive after some time and you have to really push for a chance to find challenging projects

"eh"

Former Intern - Summer Investment Associate
    Former Intern - Summer Investment Associate

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC as an intern

Pros

- good benefits - 3 weeks paid time off in the first year
    - very relaxed and collegial office environment
    - if you are interested in investments, good exit opportunities

Cons

- VERY LOW PAY
    - very low retention rate among associates as a result of low pay
    - not a very inspiring work place. a lot of associates told me they would understand if I didn't want to accept my full time offer.

7. "Investment Operations Analyst"

Current Employee - Investment Operations Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Investment Operations Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC (More than a year)

Pros

Low Stress, great opportunity to learn basic finance. Would recommend to recent grads or people looking for an entry level position.

Cons

Low Pay, inexperienced managers, too much management, too much data entry

Advice to Management

Too many levels of management

8. "Average Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Investment Performance Analyst in Arlington, VA

Pros

Pros include the people you work with - they definitely consider personality while hiring and that works out to having colleagues who make easy friends. Company also makes an effort to keep people involved, sponsoring happy hours, scavenger hunts etc.

Cons

Cons include that there's very little personal development after the first year. You learn the systems and then you might have some challenging clients, but really you're done learning anything new. Efforts to up the learning happening in the company are quite sad - "colleague to colleague" learning only meaning that a coworker gets assigned to make a one-time presentation on whatever they feel like. Starting salary is competitive for the industry, but after first round of promotions salary increases come up short to industry expectations.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't have a great presence at least in Arlington. Way too many unprofessional rumors that go around surrounding how people are chosen to be the next manager.

"Decent, Depends on the Group"

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC (More than a year)

Pros

-Decent people who are incredibly smart
    -Strong, well known client base
    -Huge name to have on your resume if you plan to stay in the investments industry (especially institutional investments). Ever since I have had Cambridge on my resume, I have always received call backs from recruiters.

Cons

-Intense growing pains / identify crisis which creates large swings in strategy and culture.
    -It can be really hard to fit in if you aren't of a certain type or pedigree. For example, analysts are hired only from Ivy League / top schools (despite having zero investments knowledge), which creates a ridiculous "bro" and "polo club" type culture. This is also apparent among consultants who went to the same 5 business schools - there is almost no diversity of thought in the firm. Basically, if they taught it at Tuck, then that's what everyone does. This is not just limited to the main consulting organization, but each group has its own "type" it hires for. Marketing is full of people who comment on how you are dressed, what you are eating (especially if it isn't gluten free), and how thin people are.
    -Lower pay compared to industry norm.
    -Consultants treat the support groups (operations, marketing, performance) like garbage.

Advice to Management

Hire from all types of schools to balance out the culture and improve diversity of thought. Ditch the snobby culture.

10. "Operations Associate"

Current Employee - Investment Operations Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Investment Operations Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young culture, good first job, learn key professional skills

Cons

poor management, a lot of turnover, boring work

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and stop attached a $ amount to everyone